Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    fixt!
    you can't ride the 1 to the 101 to Canada:D
    unless you consider the ferry from Port Angeles :dunno
  2. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Right. Highway One ends at Leggett and the 101 will take you to Port Angeles where you can take a ferry to Vancouver Island. I try to avoid riding through the Tacoma and Seattle areas.

Forks is a good destination with a side trip to Cape Flattery on the Makah Indian Reservation. Very scenic wooden walking path to the ocean.

When heading north for a cool ride in the hot summer months, I usually connect to Highway One in Watsonville. From there it is about 1,073 miles to Port Angeles, but stopping in Forks is also a good turn around point. An easy two day ride with comfortable temps just about the whole ride with many interesting stops along the way.

Highway 101 in Washington can be cold in the summer. I spent one day riding it in the middle of summer and the temperature was about 48 degrees the whole way heading south. Once we crossed into Oregon, the sun came out and it warmed up to 68 degrees.

For me, riding up and down the California, Oregon and Washington coasts is the way to stay cool while riding in the hot summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trip Hammer, DTSB and RAZR like this.
  3. Mr. Thompson

Mr. Thompson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the whole thread. Temps in Kalifornia's central valley now hit 110°. I don't care for mesh (custom Motoport suit) or the over the counter mesh options. They are like riding in a T-shirt, you dehydrate too fast. Aerostich suits are steaming at 90°. Back in the day it was silk or polypropylene tights under V-Pilot pants and a cotton T-shirt under a cotton dress shirt (heavy oxford cloth or pinpoint depending on conditions) with a V-Pilot jacket. I still believe the V-Pilot design is the optimum for ventilation and versatility. Add a wind proof shell (cycling jacket) and a thin wool sweater and your done.

Fast forward to today. For a retail product the adjustable ventilation of the Scorpion Ravin is the closest match to the old V-Pilot (custom suits are available in the V-Pilot templet from Bates, Johnson and Vanson). Ventilated boots (Mag 1), Klim base layer one tights, Bohn Armor and Scorpion Ravin pants. On top, merino wool T-shirt, ExOfficio cotton blend shirt and the Scorpion Ravin Jacket. Same thoughts as above on the cycling jacket and sweater. One extra option is to add a cotton wife beater under the merino wool T-shirt if you know the temps won't go below 70°, cheaper than a cool vest and no need to soak it.

Mesh gear will dry you out. Maintaining a moisture layer under ventilated leathers will keep you cool and help avoid dehydration. I do use the large Kriega hydration pack and carry an extra gallon of water (frozen in a bottle in a soft cooler). There is no need to fear the heat. Just adapt and ride.
  4. DTSB

DTSB Hello!

Oddometer:
  5. DTSB

DTSB Hello!

Oddometer:
    I just rode up to Seattle from Malibu it was 110 in King city last week but when I made it over to the coast to Sea Ranch it was 65 all the way up the coast and foggy in the redwoods then hot at grants pass. Now I’m heading home hoping to do the coast the whole way and I hope the 1 is open past Big Sur. Who’s gonna meet me?

6. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I was told by the road crew that the 1 will be open all the way through south of Big Sur this Thursday with the official opening on Friday.

DTSB likes this.
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Riding where it isn't hot during July and August:

A few of my favorite places to stop and eat while riding the California coast roads are:
    1. Aldo's in Santa Cruz
    2. Alice's in Redwood City in the mountains on Skyline Blvd.
    3. The only Taco Bell I know of that is right on the beach in Pacifica just south of San Francisco
    4. Bodega Bay (watch the movie "The Birds" before you go to get the full effect)
    5. Woodrose Cafe in Garberville, CA
    6. The Samoa Cookhouse in Eureka. The menu is: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. I was there at noon so I had The Lunch. It is served family style and there is always a line of people waiting to get in when I have been there. It is home style cooking and used to be the cookhouse for loggers based out of that area. It also has a logging museum.

While on the 101 north of the Golden Gate Bridge, I have recently found the first two main exits to highway one to be bumper to bumper traffic so I stay on the 101 to Petaluma and then take Bodega Road west to Bohemian Rd north. There are some interesting things to see on Bohemian Rd. There is a replica of the Statue of Liberty near a cheese shop and you can ride to the entrance of the infamous Bohemian Grove in Monte Rio but you can't go in unless you are a member. Lots of fun paved roads in this area as you make your way to highway 1. Several different roads to choose from.

I usually spend the night in either Fort Bragg or Eureka. I prefer Fort Bragg and like to stay at the Columbi Motel. I think it used to be apartments converted into a motel. Good rates and you register at the liquor store at the end of the block.

There has been a food truck, actually it is a trailer, in Gold Beach, OR that had very good fish and chips. Don't know if it is still there.

I like to stop in Coos Bay, OR and pay my respects at the grave of Steve Prefontaine. He was running for the Oregon Ducks when I was a distance runner in college in California. We even drove the same car at that time but I never met him.

I have stopped with some friends and rode the Oregon Dunes in a dune buggy. It was one of my friends bucket list items.

Tillamook, OR has lots of cheese if you want to take the time to stop.

Forks, WA would normally be the end of the road for me unless I'm heading to Canada. The book and film series Twilight is based in Forks as well as The Legend of Mick Dodge. If you are familiar with either of these, it makes Forks a little more interesting but it is basically tourist stuff.

I always enjoy riding the west coast during the hot summer months because it is almost always a cool ride for about 1,000 miles. IMHO, if you want to ride when it is hot, this is the place to go.

There are many more interesting places to see along this route. I am just mentioning a few of the ones I have stopped at.

After filming the Legend of Mick Dodge, Mick said the show was, "scripted reality TV" and not to believe everything the show represented as true. But, Mick is an interested guy.

Mick Dodge
    upload_2018-7-17_12-27-8.jpeg

Baja Ho, Trip Hammer, Square1 and 2 others like this.
  8. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    With the gear available these days there's no reason to be uncomfortable. Start with a mesh jacket and pack the rain liner, an evaporative cooling vest (pre-soaked in a ziplock bag) and an electric vest in the tank bag and you're covered from 20 degrees F to 100+.

As long as you're moving fast enough to get some air flow, those cooling vests are fantastic.
    CatBehemoth and Boxerbreath like this.
  9. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    you can even dip your cooling shirt in a hot spring, don't be afraid, wait a few minutes and it's just as cool as you had dipped it in Tahoe….
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I tried out a Cool Vest in 100+ temps coming back into the valley the other day. For maybe 1/2 hour it cools the core nicely then tails off to not much pretty rapidly. This is in really dry nor cal valley heat. Supposed to be 107 by Sat! 112 up in Redding.
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    That's all you're gonna get. They're nice for a short while. I'm sure they work better someplace else. There aren't many places on Earth that are this extreme.

117 today. Yay.
  12. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Having a beer

Oddometer:
    111-114 during my ride home yesterday. Supposed to be hotter today.

I've found I can get about 20 minutes of cooling if I just get my tshirt wet.
  13. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    C42D3756-B635-4DC5-A2AE-4D505E35D02B.jpeg 104 on the way in today, 9:15am.

This is the cold water at the brewery where I work.
  14. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Riding in SoCal heat is not healthy for old people and other living things...
    MaddBaggins likes this.
  15. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    114-117 on my afternoon commute. It’s 21 Miles and I didn’t see a single other rider the whole way.

Got my feet on the cold tile now with a beer in hand.
  16. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for ya.
  17. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    It is always hot in July and August and cold in December and January in Central California. But you can still ride.

The other 8 months the weather is pretty good so I really can’t complain. I like that I can ride 12 months a year.

I head to the desert when it is cold and the coast when it is hot.

cyberdos and NSFW like this.
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    My brother bought one these to use on his motorcycle. Seems happy with. He lives in Colorado though. I think he's a little soft when it comes to dealing with the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/COMPCOOLER-R...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cooling+vest

My commute changed to nearly all highway after moving over the "winter". I pretty much just have one light I usually get stuck at on the way home at the exit ramp then it's about 5 more miles to home without usually having to stop. Even though it's still hot, keeping moving and still having some evaporative cooling has made the summer much more tolerable. Nearly a non-issue during the week. Still can't ride much on the weekend though.
  19. MaddBaggins

Oddometer:
    My ride is 21 Miles. I haven’t counted, but I’d guess I have about 12-15 lights. If I went freeway it would be 35 Miles with at least 10 lights. My ride is typically above 45mph (usually closer 55-60) the whole way but with the lights it’s about 40 minutes each way.
    I haven’t ridden for fun since early May.
  20. Mjwood

Mjwood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wife's out of town this weekend and taking the kids with her--awesome! Unfortunately, where I live, it's going to be triple digits all weekend. :( Looks like I'll have to skip a long ride and go with plan B: hanging around the house in my underwear!