1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I work from home, so I never have to commute. That means I never *have* to ride my motorcycles, and I reserve my riding for those times when it will please me. Too hot, too cold, raining? Forget it.
  2. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Living in Las Vegas I always think of June through early September here as down time for riding, kinda like people up north see winter. It's about 110F today, and I'm happily riding home in my truck with the AC on! :lol2

If I'm going on a trip in the summer it's one of two things - throw the dualsports bikes in the truck and haul them somewhere cooler, or head out on the streetbikes at the first daylight, and get the hell outa here! A favorite is to blow across Death Valley before 9am, roll through Bishop by lunchtime, and right after that it's up in elevation and nice. You only have to suffer the first 6 hours or so of the ride.
    mike89061, michaeln and NSFW like this.
  3. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I did 800 miles on dirtbikes over 5 days out in the Black Rock desert a while ago,and it was just touching 107 degrees each afternoon,scuffling around in sandwashes,opening gates and pushing bikes through,or just going hard trying to get to end of day. It was fun in a dumbass sort of way.
    I lost 10 lbs that didnt come back for a long time so it wasnt just water weight being gone. I cant imagine putting the bikes away just because its hot outside.
    Camel-Bak full of ice water helps.

Here in Chico though,if a guy gets up early and has the DR650 prepped,say 7AM. Can be at the coast in around 3.5 hours and 2 hours of it can be on dirt at least.
    The hotter it is here in the valley,usually the cooler it will be on the coast,foggy cool in mornings,burns off by 11:00 or so. Nor Cal does not suck.
    Moto-Dude, Zubb, RAZR and 1 other person like this.
  4. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    that's the best kind of riding! :ricky
    Foot dragger and michaeln like this.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Exactly! I would hope a human being that is born into this world,can go out side with out needing an A/C suit on or what ever. If you get acclimatized to heat then you stand a better chance of dealing with it.
    Its either that or spend almost every minute racing from A/C in house,out to A/C in car.

30 days in a row at 100 degrees or over,isnt uncommon in the summer here.
    RAZR likes this.
  6. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Not riding for a few days in not the end of the world. There's 365 days in the year.

Just a few hours North it's 30 degrees cooler.

Some of us do this for the enjoyment. When it becomes so hot that we're not enjoying it then what's the point?

I'm not ashamed to be called a wuss. Go have your fun in the heat. I'll have my fun too.

[​IMG]
    michaeln likes this.
  7. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    and now the thread turned into Housewives of ADVrider. :2cry
    Zubb, strappyman and Foot dragger like this.
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I can make some mean pancakes. :nod
    RAZR likes this.
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Indeed,some serious Poos-eyes in here.:lol3
    RAZR likes this.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I don't give a fuck about the temperature.
    Scobobby and Foot dragger like this.
  11. michaeln

Oddometer:
    They all do, eventually.
    verboten likes this.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Not riding for a "few" days when its hot in Arizona...............that would be the few days from June 1st to Sept or Oct 30th? Sell the bikes!
  13. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Why should I do that when I can just throw the bike in the back of the truck and ride in 80 degree weather up in Payson or Flagstaff? :dunno

Or, I can keep it in the garage as long as I fucking want and you can kiss my ass.

I forgot how many rocks and nails eating tough guys there are on this forum.
    Foot dragger and michaeln like this.
  14. michaeln

Oddometer:
    You guys think if guys don't ride every day they aren't real riders? Get back with me when you have been riding for over 50 years and have owned over 25 motorcycles. Sheesh.

I ride for fun. If it is too hot or too cold or too wet it's not fun for me, so I don't ride then. Not sure why that means I need to sell my bikes and get out of motorcycling.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I eat brake pads for breakfast and had a Stelvio wiring harness smothered with a 5wt fork oil sauce for dinner last night. When the temp gets over 130 I'll consider not riding. Maybe. Probably not.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  16. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As to the 25/50 comment.... I've had over 25 bikes and I'll have been riding over 50 years next year... and the only real memorable rides we continually discuss and laugh about when I get together with my buds are the rides that were either too hot, too cold, or too wet. It usually starts off something like (true story)... "you remember that F'ing time it was hotter than hell and we decided to ride late and got lost, the GPS battery died and lost its tracks, you ran out of gas AND water up on the mountain, then that dude riding with us got a flat and we got caught in that monsoon out of cell phone range and got hailed on and drenched, about froze riding off the mountain, and thought we were going to die?" "Yeah, I remember that like it was yesterday... that was a blast.... we gotta do a ride like that again!" Everyone has their own bag... it's all good.
    Jedi5150, Scobobby, Zubb and 6 others like this.
  17. michaeln

Oddometer:
    It's fine to enjoy that shit. Not fine to imply others are less than real riders if they don't. But everyone is a badass on the internet. Not so much in person.
    Scobobby and oldfuddy like this.
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Nobody writes ride reports or remembers rides where the toughest thing that happened was a Starbucks not opening early on a saturday.

Once rode to Anchorage from Chico,starting on 8/15 and it was 105 degrees clear into Washington bombing down I5 trying to get north,blazing hot hard to stay awake.
    Then damned if it didnt rain from Anchorage to Mt Shasta,or 7 days of a storm keeping up with me going home. Very memorable.

(Its why its called ADV rider)
    Jedi5150, oldfuddy and RAZR like this.
  19. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Just kidding bout selling the bikes,they can make great planters. Im up there as well at age 58 so were all in it together.
  20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must have missed that post. Haven't really ran into folks who really beat there chests other than friendly banter.
    Foot dragger likes this.