1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. viper05

viper05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I was hoping the law of natural selection would be sufficient....
    RAZR and verboten like this.
  2. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Problem is, most of these idiots reproduce before they kill themselves, rather nullifying the law of natural selection.
    jonz and RAZR like this.
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geeze look at all the time and money we spent looking for your sorry ass . . . . . said no search and rescue team ever. It's the peanut gallery that always throws that shit out there cause it sounds smart. S&R people live for this shit and typically LOVE getting the call. They have a blast buying rescue gear and dogs and vehicles and radio's and meet on wednesday nights and talk about how to work together and be effective, and have beers afterwards, and call each other at 2am and say "hey we got one, meet me at the gas station in 20 minutes", and they generally have an awesome time because it's hard and it brings them together as a team and it's very rewarding.

Does anyone REALLY want to open that door? If so, there are 1,000's of folks out there that think you are pretty stupid to get on a machine, ride 20 miles into nowhere, breakdown and expect the public to come get you? Yeh sure, one little rescue could easily cost you your house and 401k because people who are scared of motorcycles think your stupid if you ride a bike.
    RAZR likes this.
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    funny. I've never needed to call 911. Maybe because I don't go out there unprepared and/or at 110 degree out? :dunno Apologies for being responsible for myself and not getting into a stupid situation.

Dying of heat when you go out there in 110 (actually, it was 118 the weekend that those 4 hikers were killed) most certainly makes you stupid and I don't really care for paying S&R's beers to go retrieve your stupid ass.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to remember the last time I saw any emergency responders get beers paid for by a taxpayer.............
    ......... hmm..........
    No, I got nothin'.

Alright then, I'll only go out riding when it's 109*. Thanks for saving my ass buddy. :kat :jkam

But to get back on topic, when it's over 100*, I prefer a long sleeve cotton t shirt under my leather Astar jacket and two cotton bandana's. One around my neck and if it's well north of 100*, I'll put one over my skull (under the full face helmet). MUST BE 100% COTTON.

I often will walk into the gas station restroom and take these 3 pieces off and (wipe out the grungy sink with soap and a towel first) soak them. I don't even ring them out, but it is a little awkward as people stare at you walking back out the door trailing a pretty good stream of water. zip everything up and ride away, except leaving the cuffs half unzipped on my jacket (and pop open the vent on TOP of your helmet). Yeh, it's almost as good as that air conditioned truck mentioned earlier. Well maybe not almost, but it's pretty damn good. Ride 100-150 miles, stop for fuel and repeat.

This stuff is all right there on the Iron Butt Association website. That site goes into great detail about just how, and why to do it. This for me works better than the cooling vest that I have. It's best to start the cooling action at the sleeve cuff. I suppose I could wear the cooling vest over the long sleeve tee to extend the comfort time, but haven't felt the need. Even at 119* across DV.
    Foot dragger and RAZR like this.
  6. Tiger800XCx

Tiger800XCx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now, I ride to work at 7am, and home at 6pm, and if I have to go back out, it's after 9pm, always fully geared up.
  7. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen you do plenty of stupid things in fair weather :)
    Maybe they should close the trails when it rains and temps dip below 80 degrees too because people have died of hypothermia in such conditions.

:hide
  8. Vegas_vtx

Vegas_vtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snicker... try average day temps of over 105-110 for a high temp.
    Thankfully over nights have at least been in the mid to upper 80's. What makes it miserable is having over 6% humidity with that heat. It don't sound like much but it makes a big difference. 3-4% humidity is tolerable with over 100 degrees.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
  9. Vegas_vtx

Vegas_vtx Adventurer

Oddometer:

10. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy smokes, If I ride over 90 degrees my rear fender drags.
    michaeln likes this.
  11. Vegas_vtx

Vegas_vtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It doesn't get under 80 for a day time high temp here usually until after mid September.

12. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Sure enough,weather reports can be had,and summer IS hot. Its a predictable occurrence to head out into extreme heat unprepared.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Florida Panhandle. Spent a month there once,it rained 7" one day in summer,flooded parking lots,etc. Next day it was 90F and 90% humidity. Cannot believe people even live there.
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    We gotta toughen you up if your going to start doing the 400 milers.
  15. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a kid my friends and I rode around on our bikes, fishing out at one of the ponds, all summer and all day long. we never carried a water bottle. If you got parched you would suck on a small rock to regain moister in your mouth.
    Yes, we were much tougher back then. Good thing too, because youth has faded but my broken body still gets around better than some. You and that kid you ride with are animals, what do you say Crater Lake this Tuesday, I know a good gravel passage, We can have the kid back in time for him to get to work at 9:00.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Wow. Crater Lake and back is the Holy Grail of one day trips. We were soundly defeated last time we tried that.
    And I know we were cruising 115 for a good ways.
    I would be up for it,the kid has mentioned either wed or thu as good days for escape from his day to day grind of chopping fish up.
    I'll run it by him,any wiggle room on days of week?
  17. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, for succeeding in dragging this thread completely off topic.
    Hop-Sing and Foot dragger like this.
  18. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    O.K. Foot dragger, I cant do the 400 mile days, But I don't have to be home either. My camping equipment is varied as I can go "streamline" or bring the whole kitchen sink. By myself I need very little.
    Here is one of my patented bags that works great. It is a bed sheet stitched in half with a flap of mosquito netting for the bugs.
    Getting back in the valley after a full days ride can be done in the morning after a snooze in the mountains.

IMG_0430.JPG
    Foot dragger likes this.
  19. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, A bit off topic maybe. It is close to 110 here today. Cooled to just under 80 last night. Our rides take us out of the valley this time of year. Dressing properly and hydration is what makes riding even possible.
    Route planning is also considered {with the heat in mind} leaving early and staying gone until it cools.
  20. Excndez

Excndez Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is funny!
    It is over 100 degrees most days here and I work outside in it 50-70 hours a week. Why in the hell would I also NOT go riding in the same weather?

I guess it is amazing that anyone made it across the country back in the wagon train days. WTH we they thinking. Go out if you want stay in if you want, no need for labels. It's what makes this country great.