1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Too Hot To Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michaeln, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, I want to give one a test ride. how do you like it, and what bike are you coming from.
  2. DennisV

DennisV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I'm heading over to Bodega Bay Tuesday. Then I'm hanging a right and riding the fog line all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula.

I hope it rains . . .[/QUOTE]

DOH !

I'd like to retract that last statement.
  3. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    Haha! No rain in sight.

I rode from Pt. Reyes Station up to Bodega Bay yesterday, no traffic and perfect weather. If I have plans in Santa Rosa I always use HWY 1 on weekdays.

I'm glad I ran across this thread, was all set to buy a mesh jacket for hot weather. I'll be rethinking that.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    in my experience, mesh jacket is great when it's hot and the traffic is stop-n-go. it's also what's underneath matters. i started buying undergarments made of wool. pricey but it stays cool and smell fresh.

helmets with good air flow is the best.
  5. viper05

viper05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traditional Summer Gear
    [​IMG]
  6. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    7/7/16 Ft Bragg. Rode in wearing jacket and 2 layers underneath,still a little chilly. Felt good anyways. DSCF0551.JPG
    PaveMint likes this.
  7. Daddyo

Daddyo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Weather be it hot or cold, is really a function of your workplace.
    This year I've worked (welding) in 25 below and 40mph winds, and 118 above. Neither one really bothered me and I'm well north of 50 years old. I have and use good gear in any weather conditions.

Those people from warmer climates say Phoenix, Gila Bend, or worser yet on the river like Bullhead City, Parker, Yuma, etc. there is a large and massive difference between people who go from an air conditioned house to an air conditioned cubicle to an air conditioned grocery store before going home to the air conditioned house, and those people who choose to work outdoors in that same climate.
    Acclimation is a beautifull thing. Cubical dwellers maybe don't want to ride in hi temps. Iron Workers, Pipefitters, Carpenters, Millwrights, etc., may find much enjoyment in riding in 110+ temps.
    I certainly do, and would rather be making the trek back to the RV park on a moto than in my truck. Just because motorcycles are fun too me no matter the ambient temp. Swoop thru Las Vegas traffic or slog along in an air conditioned truck. Take your pick, I take mine : )
    My riding buddy is over 67 years old, worked outside all his life and has never complained that it was too hot to ride. And we do the Colorado River every summer multiple times 'cause it's close to us.
    So go figure, people are different, what they are used to in their everday life is WAY different. I'm riding to Las Vegas on a construction job come 2:30am Monday and I really can't wait 'cause I've been stuck in my truck the last 2 weeks, not so much fun......to me.
    Just put on a new front tire. Going back to the shack in 100+ after work, to me, is SO much mo swoopy fun than a 4 wheeler : )
    verboten and Foot dragger like this.
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    The suck factor of riding in hot weather is directly proportional to the intensity of the hangover, and each degree becomes exponentially worse past 108. The boce thing about mesh is that when you spit mouthfuls of water on yourself from the camelback it makes it to your shirt.
  9. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    I love this bike. Ive got a Vstrom 1000 and a 450 EXC. The V has no real off road cred, the 450 is a horrible street bike. Now that Ive got an off road oriented twin I can make up for lost time riding the Stanislaus NF and points east. Im in Manteca, anyone up for weekend foothill rides, including lunch rides to Bridgeport or Topaz, let me know. Im up for just about anything.

Steve
    Hop-Sing likes this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I see Johnson Cabin as your location. That is near you or?
  11. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    Im in Manteca, but Im in the Johnson Cabin owners group. Chances are we know some of the same people.
  12. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your Johnson has a CABIN?
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Yup. Ive been riding around Ragdump since about 1990. Need to stop in and say hey to Howard soon.
  14. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    image.jpg
    NSFW and Foot dragger like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    DSCF0521.JPG
    Nice Shot. I nearly got the 6-Days jobber but ended up with a regular 300XCW in 2014. Always a comfortable temp up high. Last ride on the 300 we rode by this waterfall,always enticing to jump in the pool.
    NSFW and theGrinch like this.
  16. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    Damn right it does
    michaeln likes this.
  17. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    You ladies and your nasty hot weather.
    How do you survive? Lol ;)

Attached Files:

Foot dragger likes this.
  18. Vegas_vtx

Vegas_vtx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well it got to 112 here yesterday (according to the news the thermometer they have inside a car it got to i bekieve 156 degrees).
    I had some running around to do yesterday, so I had on my base layer (heat out), a tee shirt, my mesh jacket, gloves and jeans.
    It wasnt too bad unless I was in stop and go traffic.
    At one point at a traffic light, I pulled of my gloves, reached into my bag for a quick drink of water and poured some on me and had to roll again with traffic.

The air over my hands was like a blow dryer and the grips were dang hot.

As soon as I could, I put my gloves back on. Much better.

As soon as I got home I took everything off put on my swim suit wet myself down and washed the bike.

Today and tomorrow its supposed to stay at 112.
    Im staying inside with some lemonade.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
    Slow Trailin' likes this.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    having a tall windshield doesn't help either. it reduces buffering but cut down the airflow getting to the body. have to get on the pegs for that needed breeze of air.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It seems to vary with temperature,once its much over 100 that needed breeze of air isnt much better then a blast furnace and sucks the moisture right out of the body. I was buying a tankbag from a guy the other day and he threw in a Cool Vest,so I will soak it up with water and try it out next hot ride.
    RAZR likes this.