Took my toes down the Coast for some therapy

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Kim F, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Kim F

Kim F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, a word of thanks for the inspiration this site has brought into my life. Hadn't had a bike for some 25 years since I was knocked off by some teenager not paying attention to what he was doing. Once I found this site some years back, I was hooked. Now, at the ripe young age of 58,I have got back in the saddle and loving it. Yep, the steed is a maxi-scooter - it is so practical and meets my needs in every way. My only promise to myself is that the bike is not for commuting - its for jaunts in the country. Soooo, welcome to my first trip report.

Both my big toes recently underwent wedge resections. Ouch, haven't being wearing shoes for a couple of weeks but I was feeling a bit of cabin fever. Surely a blat on the bike would do me wonders ??? Having a very unusual warm spring in this part of Australia so I pondered whether a trip down the coast would be the go. Decided to firstly head to the Southern Highlands via Moss Vale and stopped at Robertson. It not only has the Robertson Pie Shop and is the gateway to the famous Macquarie Pass but it also has a supposedly very photogenic old railway station.

[​IMG]

Well, the station might be nice but it was hidden behind a locked fence so I don't really know. Hadn't ever ridden the Macquarie Pass before but it was midweek (I'm not the fastest traveler) and I didn't want to slow others down. It was fun, I only held up two other riders a short while and then I was down on the coastal plain near Wollongong. My Bridezilla has recently put an offer in on a "house" at Scarborough - which we might retire to. To call it a dump in its current state is being very unfair to dumps. I decided, I would head down and have another look at it but before getting there, there was a little matter of having lunch, so I pulled up at the Headland Hotel at Austinmer and had a beaut lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I don't want you all going too green with jealousy but as in the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan (The Castle), how's the serenity with this place ? Our Lawyer asked whether we had a copy of the Building Inspection Report - I think we need to nuke it from Orbit to be safe for sure.

[​IMG]

I headed back to Canberra via Bulli Pass and Picton Road and then onto the Hume freeway The winds had really picked up and the temperatures were a good 10 degrees C higher inland. The freeway did nothing for me so I got off at Mittagong and went via Bowral and Moss Vale again. My toes were really throbbing now (probably because of my parking efforts on a slope). Just as I was nearing Sutton Forest, I noticed a milestone on the odometer so I stopped for that. Note the Temp as well.

[​IMG]

I lowered the screen to get a wind flow into the helmet and pumped up the Highway Playlist and got home entirely knackered. All up, about 550 km but I think I earned the few beers when I got home!
  2. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    never stopped at the railway station
    go past it on the way to belmore falls and further but not stopped

house looks like asbestos?????
  3. Kim F

Kim F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I think so !
  4. Dances With Roos

Dances With Roos Bikenomad

Oddometer:
    Great ride report Kim, keep up the good work, (nice picks) hope the toes heal up well for you.
    Planning to scrap the house or renovate? Looks like a nice part of the world whatever you decide
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I had a C600 Sport for a bit.
  6. Kim F

Kim F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what we’ll do. I don’t think there is a single redeeming thing about the existing structure but the coffers will be a bit bare after purchasing
  7. TonyRDR

TonyRDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report mate welcome back
    Now when you are ready we want to see some knobblies and a Simpson crossing
    My favourite article is still the two crazies they took two vespas to the Dakar
    Great seaside pics thanks
  8. Mickalmus

Mickalmus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to stop and take pics and to post them up.

I can see the character of the hut and I'm imagining a laid back beach retreat. Is encapsulating the existing panels an option?
  9. Kim F

Kim F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a bulldozer is the best option.
    Mickalmus likes this.
  10. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    House looks like its got good lines and potential. Take your time, enjoy it and make the renovations as you see fit.
  11. Kim F

Kim F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Breaking not overly sad news - we withdrew our bid on the little asbestos dump.:clap
  12. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice little return to riding report. Re your return to canberra, recommend turning off at goulburn through to tarago and on through bungendore to queanbeyan, gets you out of that "slab drone" feeling and way more opportunity to stop for a breather.:*sip*
  13. doppler94

doppler94 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice TR. Welcome to the addiction and enjoy more of your adventures.