Tool Cart --> get organized

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ntm, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ntm

ntm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I totally stole this idea from someone in ADVRider, but I cannot locate the original post. In any case, thanks!

I wanted to have easy access to my most frequently used tools and also a convenient place to store them. A big rolling toolbox is expensive and never really appealed to me. What’s pictured below is a $30 (on sale) Harbor Freight tool cart that I have customized a bit.
    [​IMG]
    I bought a piece of aluminum angle stock, cut it in two, clamped the pieces together and then drilled appropriately sized holes for the shafts of my screw drivers and T-handle hex wrenches. I bolted the aluminum pieces one on top of the other along one of the long sides of the cart. Below these I added a smaller aluminum angle bracket with hooks to hang the ratcheting combination wrenches – regular and shorty lengths.

I added a power strip, extension cord and a couple of hooks to store the extension cord on, all at the bottom of the cart.

I bolted socket holders the cart’s corner posts and populated these with my most commonly used sockets, hex bits, etc.

I bent a coat hanger to hold a roll of towels and added it to one end of the cart.

I’m toying with the idea of adding a magnetic tool strip along the other long edge to hold pliers. I have it clamped in place at the moment to see how it works..
    [​IMG]
    The cart has two shelves. The top one holds smaller tools that don’t otherwise have a home, chemicals, notepad and manuals – and just general odds and ends.. The smaller stuff I keep in cans for organizational purposes – one for small pliers, one for small tubes of chemicals, etc.

The bottom shelf holds larger tools such as torque wrenches, a box of nitrile gloves, a set of oversized sockets, breaker bar, long socket extensions, etc. It also has a lamp with a magnetic base that I can stick to the cart or on the bike. Magnetic parts bowls are stuck here and there on the cart.

The cart has a handle at one end that I use to hang a Maglite and my 3/8-inch socket T-handle.
    [​IMG]
    I keep the cart stashed in a corner of the garage, covered by an old bed sheet. It’s a cinch to roll it to the bike, unwrap the extension cord and plug it in. Then I have immediate access to common tools, chemicals, paper towels, gloves, etc and plugs for lights, power tools, etc.

Not only can I readily lay hands on a desired tool, the tools all have a home that I can easily return them to when I’m done with them. It really does work well for me and the total investment (minus tools, obviously) was around $60 for the cart, aluminum stock, power strip, extension cord, lamp and various fasteners.

Nick
  2. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Love it, love it, love it, man. I've got a cart with drawers but I am a very visual guy... I like to see everything out in the open, but still remain somewhat organized. You just made my day. Did I tell ya I love it? :clap Off to HF this weekend.
    --Doug
  3. Ready2Rip

Ready2Rip The Bird is the Word

Oddometer:
    That is a fantastic idea. I need one!
  4. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    You don't have little kids do you?
    Zubb, Texas Aggie and Mikemm like this.
  5. gboezio

gboezio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that would solve my "where the fuck is my..." syndrom, from my inability to replace a tool in the toolbox after use.
    I'm very creative to lay tool is strange places, I can go around the place like a dog chasing tail, cursing my bad habits only to find my tool stashed in my rear pocket :huh
    Having it close and easy to see.
  6. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Job! That gives me a few ideas!:thumb

Of course by the time I get it done I will have lost this post and not know who to give credit to!:evil :lol3

Jim :brow
  7. Jamming

Jamming Desert RAT

Oddometer:
    Very Very Nice!!!!!!

Mind if I steal some ideas?
  8. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    Hey, a lot of very cool tool organization ideas going there. Awesome! I'll pay forward any thanks for ideas I "borrow" from you...been wanting to do something to organize my T-handle hex & torx drivers a bit better...and hammers...and prybars...and spray cans...:D

My tool cart is on the right - just a scrap cart from work that I put an intermediate 4 drawer box on to keep my "nice" tools used most frequently. 1" plywood worktop, but your cart will help in making some nice additons...Thanks!

[​IMG]
  9. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    That is excellent! I've got 2 rollaways already which are pretty much full.. this sounds like just the thing!
  10. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    My first thought when I saw this.

That, and the realization that the tool I needed would always be on the other side of the cart. Isn't there a law of nature that applies here?
    mbikeboy likes this.
  11. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought about doing something like this, before I bought my roll around box. I got a left over anniversary Craftsman, top middle, and bottom, with roller bearing drawers for less than 400 total, so I couldn't pass it up. I used a trick the military, and put liners with, tool, cut outs in each drawer. The off the shelf stuff was about 80 bucks a drawer, so I had to find another soulution. I bought the regular brown/ black drawer liners, then found some 3/4 thick foam exercise mats at Walmart for about 3 bucks each. I then marked these and cut out for each tool. Works pretty well considering a total investment of less than 3 bucks. I will try and post some pictures later.
    Benduro likes this.
  12. Ge-Mini-gun

Ge-Mini-gun Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes we need the pictures.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spokester likes this.
  14. Ge-Mini-gun

Ge-Mini-gun Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes where'd you get it?
  15. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are my pictures
    Those setups will end up running you as much as a tool box. I just couldn't justify that expense. Here are some pictures of my home made solution. I did the hole box, for less than teh price of doig one drawer using the professional kits. Here ar some pictures showing my setup, and a gratutious picture of the bikes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can easily see missing tools
    [​IMG]

Bikes and boat
    [​IMG]
    Benduro likes this.
  16. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    I'd almost be inclined to do that, except that I suspect it took about 3 hours to cut out all those shapes.

Did you have a trick to "cut" down on time?
  17. ggrjr

ggrjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took forever. No trick, after cutting teh foam to ft the box, I used a sharpie to outline the tools, then an exacto knife to cut it out. The blue foam is fairly firm so it cut pretty easy. It took a few evening to finish, but I think was well worth the effort. when you need something it is so easy to find. When you finish a job you know if all your tolls are put away.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I have the same boxes!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Good point... it would be a little bit at a time type of gig so i guess if you aren't in a hurry, who cares?
    You're correct in that it makes for a quick inventory and it does look nice.
  20. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:

what do you do if you get MORE TOOLS? :brow
    spokester likes this.