Tool kit screwdriver solution

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z50R, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I found my self in need of the tool kit on the side of the trail last week and after striping out a wrench and a socket I decided the whole tool kit that came with the motorcycle was worthless. Most of the tools were easy to replace but the screwdriver left me thinking I could do much better than stock. I ended up making a 3/8" square male to 1/4" hex female adapter to use the spark plug socket as a handle and replaceable 1/4" bits to drive screws. The added advantage (other than no wasted space for a screw driver handle) is that an adjustable wrench can grab the flats on the socket and add a lot of leverage if it is needed.

old:
    [​IMG]

new:
    [​IMG]

assembled:
    [​IMG]

The end result weighs a bit more than stock but the quality is a lot better and it takes up a little less space so I am happy.
  2. The_Paco

The_Paco Coffee in Noisy End

Oddometer:
    ingenious! Nice one.
  3. squirrelnator

squirrelnator Mystical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks great,

Your solution also got me thinking about flat head screws. I have a Honda st1300 and I can't ever remember any screws that aren't Phillips. I carry both types in my onbike toolkit however.

Anyway, I am going to dig thru my garage toolboxes and see if I can cobble together something similar.

Great Idea!:thumb
  4. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    That is one of the most clever solutions I have seen in a while, good job!
  5. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Also, care to share with how you made the 3/8" adapter? I don't know where you sourced the 1/4" female tube part.
  6. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I bought a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square drive adapter and a 1/4" hex extension. I used a cutoff wheel to shorten the two extensions as much as I could and ground ~45 degree bevel on both. I used two magnetic dial indicator stands (one for each piece) to adjust the alignment until I was satisfied and MIG welded them together (you can see a few imperfections in my welds, I really wish I had a TIG). The MIG job was essentially: tack then dunk in water, rinse, wire brush, and repeat. I have read that if you over heat a magnet it loses it's magic so I was trying to keep the current flow and the heat from it. The magnet still works so either I succeeded or I have been reading garbage. The last step was to sand down the ugly welds into something pretty.
  7. RPD1

RPD1 We don't

Oddometer:
    Nice work!
  8. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea!!
    I can not wait to get to work on one for myself!
    Thanks.
  9. VonHelm

VonHelm corona ring

Oddometer:
    Will the adaptor nest inside of the plug socket- to save more packing space?:ear
  10. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Most of the way, about 1/2" will stick out the bottom but that makes the over all length of the socket and the adapter the same as the bits.

Post up photos if you guys make one, I'd be happy to see other people's take on the idea. I had a good suggestion from another forum to knurl the socket, I may do that in the future.
  11. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    :clap

I know what I'm doing when I get back from the road.

I have a scrap box filled with stuff like companion tools that

were given to me. I think I can make a set for each bike.

Pure genius Sir.
  12. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! That's good. I think I may have the makin's for at least one of those in my junk box.
    I love that kind of stuff. Lots of times another cool idea will spin off from the first one.

Thanks for sharing with the whole class.
  13. hdpusher

hdpusher Lunch box repairman

Oddometer:
    Im going to make one now. Great tip.:clap
  14. Iwantabikesobad

Iwantabikesobad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is my solution.3/8 female to 1/4 male adapter,drill out 3/8 side. cut the 3/8 end off a 1/4 female to 3/8 male adapter. press the 2 halves together so you have a 1/4 female on one end and a 1/4 male on the other. Seal weld them together then drill a hole through the center crossways that a 6 inch 1/4" extension will slide through. Slide it through and put a small tack weld on the male end so it cant slide back out. Snap-On has a really great set of 1/4" male end drivers. This thing has lots of uses.T-handle,extension,Spinner, use another extension and make a really long T-handle.
    Here are a few pics.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  15. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I have a few little adapters that accept 1\4" bits, the adapter has a 10mm hex head on the other side. So you can use a 10mm socket on a ratchet or a 10mm wrench for the bits. Since I also have a 10mm deep socket I use that to drive it. For grip I wrapped the 10mm deep socket with hockey tape. Basically giving me a "free" 1\4" driver.

The little adapter comes wiht lots of little gearwrench and kobalt tool kits. I must have 3 or 4 of them around. I'll try to find a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. brinboise

brinboise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + 1 on all bike tool kits being worthless, at least the bikes I have had. I start from scratch when I get a bike and start building a new kit. I also try to do a lot of the maintenance with the tools I carry on the bike. BTW great piece of work, I likey.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the plug socket as deep as the stock tool kit? Are you sure it is deep enough?? Just wondering....
  18. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did make sure it would work on the bike before I banished the other to the scrap metal pile.
  19. MountainRider

MountainRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very Nice!
  20. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out in the shop today I remembered z50's cool screwdriver idea. Hunting through the sockets and the junk box this is what I came up with.

First, a counter/gimme screwdriver.

[​IMG]

It's a p.o.s. nice and compact ain't worth a pinch of spit if it don't work.

But inside lives one of these.

[​IMG]

1/4 square drive on one end, 1/4 hex on the other.

And coupled with one of these,

[​IMG]

and these two

[​IMG]

Now I too have a cool screwdriver :clap

thanks z50 :clap