Tool (kit) suggestions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Grimace 2/9, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Grimace 2/9

Grimace 2/9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dealio: A 3 week trip, 80/20 dirt/pavement through the southwest in July/August. The bikes will be an 07 1200 GS and an 06 KLR 650. They'll be thoroughly gone over before hand but what, other and an air-conditioned, do you folks recommend taking as far as tools/repair items? I've already got a list going but I don't want to have a D'uh! moment on the trail....like I'm not no matter what I take :eek1

Thanks.
  2. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Just some thoughts.:dunno

Electric air pump- That gs will want to air up and down for that much off road
    Oil and filter- unless your going near a shop
    Fuses, Don't forget that glass fuse behind the coolant resivior that controls the fan.
    Spare nuts and bolts- sure to have one or two rattle out with that much off road.
    Spare front tube for the KLR (will work on rear in an emergency)
    Tire patch kit for the gs
    Three spoons, sometimes two arn't enough unless you'r used to peeling the rubber off.
    6ft of 12guage electric wire - handy for tieing things up or fixing/diagnosing electrical issues
    Water- not just for you but the bikes too.
    spare master link if your KLR chain isn't endless
    Chain lube
  3. Grimace 2/9

Grimace 2/9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice, I had not thought of the electric wire, thanks.
  4. supaparty

supaparty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check your rear pads on the GS - I get about 4k mi out of set. I also pack a right-side final drive seal - only $14 and easy to carry and replace.
    I bit the bullet and bought an EWS antenna ring for the GS, but the jury is still out on whether that's good planning or just over-paranoia.

Also bring spare levers for both bikes....KLR levers are cheap, but the BMW ones are about $50-60 each! With that much off-road, you'll probably lay it down a time or two. If you have wrap-around hand guards on the GS, that will usually protect your levers, but definately bring them for the KLR.

When you do your final prep on your bike before the trip, only use the tools in your tool roll, so you'll know that it's complete before you go. Also make sure to do a 5 minute pre-ride inspection every day during your trip to tighten up loose fasteners...Blue Loctite is your friend. Oh yeah, and have fun.
  5. Grimace 2/9

Grimace 2/9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion that, doing the last check only with tools I'm taking, thanks.
  6. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: