Tool Tube?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wayno, Jun 13, 2008.

1. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
    No sh!t, they're made to carry a rolled up operator's manual for a forklift. It's not surprising that the mounting tabs are breaking when filled with pounds of steel tools. If you mount it with steel P-clamps around the body as many have done, you certainly won't have the same issue. I hope the failure didn't cause a crash.
  2. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I like how this turned in to a bash session. I'm in a good mood this morning so I wont throw your own shit back in your mouth. How do you even know what I had in the tube? The seller of this said tube shows tools on his web site, stored inside. The seller also sells tool rolls that fit directly inside. There are several people on here that have theirs mounted WAY less secure than I did, both times. I was simply letting everyone know so that they don't lose theirs too. Now move one.
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't use the tab to mount mine and it's been fine for thousands of kms now. I would think the tab would be good for a vertical mount but not horizontal.

[​IMG]
  4. fbj913

Oddometer:
    my last one shattered at the top point by the screw lid
  5. fhfr436

Oddometer:
    This wasn't intended to be a bash, just pointing out what should be obvious. I'm always amused when people are surprised by failure of products that are used for something beyond their intended design. I actually appreciate the posts showing failures because it draws attention to the folly of ignoring rational engineering logic.
  6. fbj913

Oddometer:
    If said manufacturer promotes their item with tools, and sells specific tool bags, it shouldn't fail. these are however named mega tool tubes! they are for bikes that never leave the pavement.
  7. fhfr436

Oddometer:
    Are you actually referring to the vendor, rather than the manufacturer?
    As soon as someone discovered these waterproof tubes and thought they might be useful to hold tools, they became dubbed "tool tubes." That still doesn't mean that they're designed or suitable for this purpose. Sure, they'll work for a while, but end users should be aware that they're misapplying this device, from the manufacturer's point of view.
    That isn't to say there's no recourse through the vendor that may be misrepresenting their intended use. Unless they give some specific weight rating, I'd guess it's a dead end though.
  8. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MANUFACTURER promotes the tube as an Owners Manual Holder for tractors NOT for TOOLS.
  9. fbj913

Oddometer:
    :dhorse

I'm running this now, it works out sweet! And pretty cheap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Mine holds a bottle of Kettle 1 perfectly, much better than tire irons. :freaky :1drink
  11. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bowmore 12 fits too.
    Tools are overrated.
  12. SkunkWizard

SkunkWizard No Filter

Oddometer:
    welded up a few of these a while back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea.....is access hard, or more specifically, is getting everything to stay in it as you close the door hard? Do you have any better pics of how you attached it to your side rack?
  14. fbj913

Oddometer:
    I'll take some more pics tonight. I used the Happy Trails bracket that fits between the tubing of the rack, you can kind of see it in the pics. Then I used 4 bolts and 2 washers and lock nut per.
    Not hard to access, I keep most everything in a bag so I just set it in and close the door. I certainly can't stuff it full, but that's the awesome thing about the foam it comes with! I just fill space with the foam and nothing moves around. Only think I had to do is make sure the door misses the frame when it opens. I don't hope to access it a ton so I'm not too worried. It's turned out to be a sweet place for all my paperwork (insurance, registration, etc.)
    It cost $40 and fits WAY more than a tool tube!
  15. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. I'm assuming they're aluminum. Weatherproof?
  16. richb2222

richb2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a great sticker!
  17. donny662

donny662 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, my second tube has failed. I've bent my bracket twice in crashes: once "off road" at slow speeds and, the other time, I high sided while pulling out of my driveway a little too fast for a cold, salty road. Being steel, I've just pulled on the bracket to bend it back into shape. The high side crash broke the tabs of my first tube, which happened in early Spring of 2011. I finished removing the tabs and hose clamped it to my top case mounting plate.

On the second tube, I've just noticed that the tabs are ripping. This hasn't been the result of a crash, just stress from vibration and opening/closing the tube. Most of my miles have been fairly easy road miles with the ocassional spirited gravel road ride.

The contents have been rather heavy: the Suzuki tool kit, two steel tire irons, one aluminum tire iron, extra spark plug, tire plug kit, and tube patch kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Agri Supply tool tube, with the drain hole plugged with silicone to keep dust & water out.

I recently serviced the bike and put it away for the winter, and while doing so, removed the tools from the tube. Everything was damp, including the inside walls of the tube. The bike was inside an unheated garage, and not exposed to rain for quite a while. And I don't wash bikes often, this one not for months. The only explanation I have is condensation.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If condensation, I guess I need to:
    a) open the plugged drain hole to let trapped moisture escape (making sure the hole is oriented to minimize the likelihood of water penetration)
    b) remove tools when not riding

You can see the tube on the back of the rack in this photo:

[​IMG]

There must be a thousand of these in use by inmates; feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you.
  19. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you have a leak somewhere. If the contents and air were reasonably dry when you sealed it and it is truly hermetically sealed the moisture level should remain the same. But if you have a small leak and there is a pressure differential (heat/cold), ambient air will suck into the low pressure vessel. In addition to fixing the leak, you could try desiccant packs as long as the moisture is coming from the air.
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Tubes have a hole in them so they are not sealed.

I wonder if the moisture from your exhaust from when you first start the bike is getting in via the cap area ? Pure speculation on my part...