Tools for telling the Story - Action Cam Stability, selfie sticks, gorillapods etc.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dredman, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    So I have been shooting with the GoPro Session for a few years now, and sadly it represents the biggest leap forward in years (it came out in 2015) and they really have not innovated since then. They have decent stabilization in their latest models, but when I compared the footage, the leader was CLEARLY the OSMO ACTION, and given the Osmo has a front facing screen in addition to the rear, I decided to throw it in my cart. I have been using it for almost 3 weeks now.

Stability is only ONE of the awesome features in this action camera:

2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Are you surprised? You're comparing 2015 tech to 2018, when it comes to action cams that's a long time. It'd be more accurate to compare to to an H7B or H8B.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    Nope. Not surprised at all. Like I said in the video "an unfair comparison to my old GoPro Session"

I was actually surprised how well the GoPro stood up to new tech. I started wondering why I was so upset at the damned thing while watching the footage? I really do like the Session, even with all the flaws, it remains the best GoPro I have ever owned by far. I really hate GoPro as a rule - buggy, expensive crap.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The DJI is a great action cam, and like you, I've disliked GoPro for years because they were nothing more than marketing firm that sold outdated tech in a odd form factor for an inflated price. Granted, in the last few years they realized they had to actually engineer cutting edge stuff or they were gonna go belly up, so they have improved dramatically. That said, the new Insta360 One R is gonna blow both companies out of the water. I plan on getting the 1" sensor mod bundle in a few months. This new modular platform is one hell of a game changer.
    Yard Sale, CaseyB and dredman like this.
  5. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hadn’t seen that before. Looks very interesting.
    I’m happy with the Osmo for now. Mentioned it before but the sound is the best I’ve had so far.
    *stability control/rock steady is also very good
    dredman likes this.
  6. dredman

Oddometer:
    Good to know I have another dissenter in the GoPro universe. I have not heard much about the One R, but I welcome ALL competition and innovation. If a drone company can jump out front, I imagine anyone can? Can't wait to see what you do with yours - I have big plans for my new camera!
  7. dredman

Oddometer:
    I would welcome your videos in this thread? Or at least links to your other Osmo threads?
  8. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Careful what you ask for :lol3

I should have something to share soon. Been working on a vid from a trip out west. Just hard to get free time to edit.

Told my friends that if they recorded stuff, I’d try and combine it all. Three cameras (h7, osmo and a Chinese knockoff) plus a drone = 300 + GB’s of footage. I should have kept my mouth shut
    dredman and Albie like this.
  9. dredman

Oddometer:
    I really dig this stick for everything - camera phone, bigger cameras, action cameras etc. $16 bucks on amazon?

10. dredman

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed this somehow?

I was serious about seeing your footage and production....

As to editing for others - I can relate totally. I have offered to edit friend's video several times. I have tutored quite a few people (to no avail) on basic editing. Seems like everyone has a camera or ten, but NOBODY ever does anything with the footage? I am certain it comes down to terror of learning how to edit, or maybe it is laziness? I spend so much time editing already it seems like I would get tired of it, but I am really getting into it.

I am starting to take a militant stance on MAKING a video, and "telling your story". I started a series on the basics of shooting video with your cell-phone, so I can prod more people into producing SOMETHING. I think maybe the key is to start with something simple like the amazing camera that everyone is carrying around in their pocket.

I am also starting another project where I am requesting multiple videos from others in hopes of making something coherent, with other's video, without having to go film everyone - getting them started is the major feat. I think I will post the series here in this thread, so bring yours too?
    Zubb likes this.
  11. rageabout

rageabout Say my name

Oddometer:

The GoPro Max 360 looks promising as well. Will be comparing that to the Insta360 One R.
    dredman likes this.
  12. Photowriter

Photowriter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did evaluate a purchase of Osmo Action but when I compared it to Gopro Hero 8 Black the Gopro won!
    Far better stabilization and more of a camera for a photographer.
    This is an example of Hero 8´s stabilization, handheld

It almost hurts admitting it since I as a journalist and photographer I have found Gopro representatives unfriendly and utterly unprofessional over the years. After an action camera review of mine a few years back where the Gopro camera did not come out as the number one alternative they refused lending me test cameras and removed me from all press information.

If you want a cheaper alternative to Osmo Action, take a look at Akaso V50 Pro, a lot cheaper, good stabilization (but not equal to Hero 8) and a lot cheaper to buy.
    This video is recorded with a handheld V50 Pro
  13. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    Was just making a joke at my expense. I know you were being sincere. Some of my videos are ok, but I’ve never been able to accomplish what’s in my head into the edit. I either run out of good footage or patience or a combo of both.

Been using fcpx for a awhile and really appreciate how user friendly it is. Easy to use, tough to master. Good thing is for any apple user, there is a free iMovie version on every phone, laptop and desktop. Which makes it a easy transition to fcp

I’ve also thought about asking for a ‘strangers’ footage to try and edit something. I find it easier and more enjoyable to edit things about others. I can’t stand watching myself ride motos for hrs on end

I do have a short drone vid that I could share. Was using it to practice color grading with extra footage that I’m not gonna use in my vid. But it doesn’t really apply to your thread/topic
    dredman likes this.
  14. dredman

Oddometer:
    I did look at several less expensive models (I own a Yi) but nothing compared to DJI and GoPro, and the ones that even got close were too close in price?
  15. dredman

Oddometer:
    It is easier for me to edit MY footage, as I know what I saw and what I recorded and when - makes things much faster.

Share your drone footage! I can change the TITLE of the thread.....I think?
    I have a fascination lately with "telling the story", and the tools and techniques - maybe I should start YET ANOTHER THREAD? Or maybe just retitle this one?
  16. Photowriter

Oddometer:
    Well, I think that the Akaso V50 Pro has just as good video quality as DJI Action and for 1/3 of the price (plus there is an extra battery included). Maybe there is a difference in very low light conditions.

Here is another video made with a handheld V50 Pro
  17. CaseyB

Oddometer:
    I think apples to apples would be the osmo vs gp7. I have nothing against GoPro, had them for years. Just wanted to try something different and I enjoy my dji drone, so that’s why I went w them. Plus Best Buy had the price wrong and I capitalized on their mistake. Considering it’s their first attempt at an action cam, I think they did a good job.

What I like the most is we have options and it’s just not one company dominating anymore.
    dredman likes this.
  18. dredman

Oddometer:
    So maybe I am just picky, but the videos you have posted are just OK - I am sure you can get the same quality with any $60 camera?
    As far as stabilization, ALL of those were bad examples - none of those shots were moving, other than slow pans left-right?
    Do you have any footage with movement? Walking?
  19. dredman

Oddometer:
    Sony blew Gopro away years ago, and they are just now recovering.
  20. Photowriter

Oddometer:
    I do beg to strongly differ!
    It´s NOT possible to get the same video quality from a handheld action camera that do not have inbuilt stabilization. Especially noticeable for pan and tilts.

Stabilization is one of the best features of a modern action camera and just now Hero 8 is the leader in that aspect. With 4K and an effective stabiliztion I have been able to do professional productions with a Hero 8 Black (and a digital sound recorder) that just a few years ago would have needed the use of a traditonal professional video camera (costing more than 20 times as much).

Just waiting for better sound recording and more light sensitive lenses in the same small format as the Hero 8.

This is what I can now use for quick Outside Broadcasts insted of a more than 10 kilos heavier equipment (and with automatic streaming if so wanted):

Compact Video Equipment.jpg