Tooth broken off cam drive gear TDM900

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Eward, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright so i have pretty pesky issue at hand. I bought a TDM with a broken Timing chain adjuster, No problemo, got a deal for it and it was low miles. Now a TDM expert advised me to use this engine, but now i found out 2 tooth of the cam gear have been broken of, most likely i even did it myself when i turned the engine with the starter motor when the chain was hanging right out of it. How f-ing stupid, i know. Here's some pics, i could really help make a decision in what to do. To sad i already spend the money on the head, Maybe a new engine isn't to bad of an idea... Alright here's some pics of the cam gear

IMG_20191213_131309.jpg IMG_20191213_131316.jpg
  2. TequilaSqueela

TequilaSqueela Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you not tear down the engine and put in a new cam gear?
  3. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Problem is that with the TDM this gear is one with the entire crankshaft, so the engine would need to split
  4. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    Oh god. Good luck.
  5. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you think i i could run it like this?
  6. TequilaSqueela

Oddometer:
    I am the wrong person to ask, but knowing what I know about similar parts that would be a bad idea for anything but limping home.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  7. cristi-mic

cristi-mic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well....you're fucked. Find a new crankshaft because the cam gear is machined into the crank. The engine is not very difficult to split for a crankshaft change.
    I wouldn't run it like this, the gear is small and the chain jumps VERY easily even with all teeth.
  8. Eward

Eward Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man this sucks. Its a big job to to take out the crankshaft on a tdm no? I think i now a place where i could source a second hand crankshaft