Top 5 items to have for adventure?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by LEM, Jan 9, 2018.

1. LEM

LEM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are some of the item you would pack?
    Given we all define "adventure" differently, our items will vary, but i'm sure we'll all have one or two in common.

Proper planning is essential for any adventure, but even then, one has to be ready for the unexpected and be as prepared as possible. Because one cannot foresee every problem ahead, I put together a small list of five things I make sure to have on me while travelling in adventure. This list, as anything, is not an absolute. There might be items on this list that have not been the most imperative to you, and would prefer to occupy that slot with something else. If so, I would like to hear what your list looks like.

Zip ties: Never underestimate what a zip tie can do for you. These small, thin, yet durable strips of plastic are lightweight and very resistant. Depending on which size zip tie, they can hold a vast array of weights, not only that, but they are also reusable. On my motorcycle, I always have a handful of zip ties attached to the frame, covered by one of the side panels. On one occasion, I rigged a broken clutch lever with a zip tie, just enough to have it be functional and get back to civilization.

[​IMG]

Tape: For all that which zip ties cannot hold together because of impracticality reasons, there is tape. There are endless types of tape, and although any kind is better than not having it at all, Gorilla tape (or duct tape, too) is tough stuff and will hold against the elements of adventure. Whether it is a broken tent pole, torn saddlebags, and even keeping dirt out of a small wound, tape is one of the most useful tools one can have. Gorilla tape held the rip in my motorcycle saddlebags until I was able to patch them properly, and could have held longer. For better storage, I usually wrap a decent amount of tape around another item I will be taking with me, such as a pen or pencil.

[​IMG]

Knife: Whether you choose to wield a machete or a discrete pocketknife, it is important to keep a blade with an edge at all times. One can research and find many tutorials in selecting the right knife for the right job. The uses of this tool are countless, but can range from chopping up dinner, splitting wires, cutting that zip tie you can’t loosen, shaving a piece of wood for tinder, openning coconuts, and the list can continue indefinitely because that is how versatile a knife can be. Depending on the adventure, I will take my 8-inch knife or just a multi-tool that includes a blade.

[​IMG]

Map: If your adventure requires a map, it already sounds like a great one. Many of us use a digital form of a map now, have it be on your smartphone or gps, it is more practical and covers more terrain in different scales, not to mention it keeps track of your current location. Because smartphones and gps are electronic devices, however, they could fall and break, run out of battery, or simply stop working for whatever reason. Due to that latent possibility, some may choose to carry paper maps as a backup. One can get excellent, waterproof maps, from a number of vendors.

[​IMG]

Common sense: Although it is sometimes rare or forgotten, having just a little bit of this can go a long way. So stop and think about your next move.

As I continue to go on day adventures, weekend trips, or longer travels, I continue to make small changes to my full, complete list; maybe an item I thought was important to have, has not been as useful, or I’ve been able to do without. Such was the case for me with paracord. I would always carry a few feet with me, however, I have not needed it or have been able to use another item on my list to fulfill its function. For the most part, it is these five items I take with me on most adventures.

Travel Blog post: https://www.moreno-morena.com/5-items-to-always-have-for-advenure/
  2. PedroCH

PedroCH King of Kings

Oddometer:
    It all depends on where and what you are going to ride as you said at the beginning.

Completely agree on Duct Tape and cable ties (in different size).

For the knife, I always go for this one:
    [​IMG]

Maps, again it depends on where you are going, for having the same details as the virtual ones, you need to carry way too many and it ends up that they take more space than 2 spare gps (60csx in my case).

Regarding common sense: Common sense is not so common!

My last point: tools. Standard kits are useless, the rider has to select the right tools for his bike, otherwise don't take any at all.

https://101nolimits.blogspot.ch/2018/01/what-is-needed-on-motorbike-trip.html
    Macho Man2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  3. lifeofliberty

lifeofliberty If you're bored, you're not living

Oddometer:
    Back before the last ice age, when I was a boy, I didn't have the good sense to engage in proper planning, but I sure had a lot of interesting adventures. I'd go off into the woods with nary a thing and have a grand old time.

Since then, there have been fewer adventures and I now own a LOT more stuff like those gadgets above! Even the Boy Scout got their motto of "Be Prepared" drummed into my head. My packs got bigger, and heavier and the outdoor trips became more and more "work" then fun.

So lighten your pockets, dump yer shit, and just go for it! And have a good time! Now THAT is adventure!
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    An open mind.
    Macho Man2, Hi-De-Ho, knight and 4 others like this.
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Awareness of your bikes mechanics.
    Macho Man2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    This is THE number one thing to have on a real positive "Adventure". The ability to remain flexible with your plans is important. When traveling out of your home country, meeting/greeting everyone with a big smile, positive attitude, and respect goes a long way.
    Macho Man2, Hi-De-Ho, LEM and 3 others like this.
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    +1
    I hope whenever I leave someplace, that I'm never referred to as 'that asshole American-Pennsylvanian-BMW-Honda rider or whatever label I can be hung with. Think of myself as a guest and try to act like it.
    Macho Man2, LEM, oldmanb777 and 2 others like this.
  8. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry my favorite pair of wire cutters.
    [​IMG]
    A multi Tools wire cutter doesn't work for cutting tie wraps, a wire in the middle of a bundle, or any place you can't slip the whole jaw through. My wire cutters grab cotter pins better than a Leathermans pliers, and do a multitude of things that pliers do, and cut a lot of things like they're meant to do, and fit in the hand properly.
    Macho Man2, LEM, 10K and 1 other person like this.
  9. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    "Adventure is just bad planning." Roald Amundsen ;)
    LEM likes this.
  10. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sometimes have an idea of where I am going, but sometimes not. If the road away from where I am is not so interesting, I take another. There is always a turn off into the hills or down a valley. Maybe I'll look for vineyards, or gorges or empty roads.

I used to carry a Michelin Red Guide, but now I can use ViaMichelin on my partners phone. It can also get other countries.
    The app also provides routes, zoomable maps and suggestions for hotels as well as restaurants as part of their POI, includes fuel, castles and monuments etc.
    Suggestions radiate out from where ever you are, posh to interesting. Lot$ to not much. Probably other stuff too.
    Dirt Roads likes this.
  11. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know the one thing that always makes me smile when I use it on a motorcycle trip, regardless of a short day trip or a long road trip? My motorcycle specific coffee thermos. Its a clean canteen in a really odd red/pink color (cheapest) that has fallen and dented many times during camping. On long trips, I sip coffee out of it while gazing at the bike at a gas stop. If I forget to pack that thermos, the trip just isnt the same.

Heres a pic on a cross country trip on the K bike where its mounted on a pannier for easy access.

Attached Files:

Macho Man2, LEM and JoeFab like this.
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I like the what to do with your cell phone sticker!!!
  13. Anthiron

Anthiron Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for Sega

Oddometer:
    My 5 would be the below.

Fire, Food, Cutting Tool (Axe or Knife), Shelter, Warmth

The actual items would vary depending on the trip, mode of transport, location etc. But those are the 5 important things for me.
    Pretty well everything else is just a comfort or convenience.
    Macho Man2 and LEM like this.
  14. vfrmike

vfrmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cash, Visa, MC, AE, TP
    Macho Man2, LEM, max384 and 1 other person like this.
  15. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    Competency, bring it. If you're uncomfortable riding on dirt, 500 miles from home isn't the place to learn. If you can't "read" a corner and pick good lines, don't wait until you're fully loaded on unfamiliar roads to practice. Are you going to be camping? Know how to setup and break down your tent in a reasonably efficient manner - maybe even do some camping before the big trip so you know what you really need not just what you think you'll really need (the former is probably much much less than the latter). Don't plan on riding 600 mile days if you haven't already ridden lots of 600 miles days, you'll be miserable. If you're not going to be in easy reach of AAA, know how to fix a flat. Just generally know WTF you're doing before you leave.

A relevant skillet is the #1 important thing to bring.
    Macho Man2, Hi-De-Ho, LEM and 4 others like this.
  16. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to take what some call an "Adventure" away?:imaposer
  17. elbell

elbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have common sense??? I thought it was an adventure!!! :lol3

But having an open mind, along with a good attitude can make the most miserable circumstances a fun and memorable adventure!
    Macho Man2, Hi-De-Ho and LEM like this.
  18. nednyrangers

nednyrangers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most things have been said, so my contribution is "patience." I find that if I get wound up about something it takes longer to figure out what the problem is and how to fix it...settle down and all the answers seem to flow
    Macho Man2, KiLeR650 and LEM like this.
  19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler n00b

Oddometer:
    I've overpacked for a lot of trips...honestly the biggest things that have saved me when not off-roading

• Amex
    • Roadside assistance
    • a tire inflator
    • Gorilla Tape
    • Zip Ties

Everything else was just shit I never used...now I may have to use my tool kit, tire patch kit or rok straps, JB Weld and fire starter one day but so far, that's gotten me by. When the bike is truly broken down, I could spend 8 hours with tiny tools that fit on my bike or just use one of my 3 free tows a year to the nearest mechanic and check into a cheap hotel.
  20. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had to plug my tire and one for a buddy, so the plug kit and mini inflator go on every trip. I may have skipped a post, but don’t remember seeing first aid kit listed. Antibacterial wipes, bandages, pain meds, super glue, tweezers, scissors, and gauze are always on my bike. Thankfully haven’t had to use it for myself, but on a day ride one time we rounded a corner to see a young man crawl out of his overturned car. Said he hit a rock in the road, was trying to swerve, overcompensated, hit the opposite bank and rolled the car. He was cut up from the broken windows, so my first aid kit came in handy. If you already pack one, pull it out and update bandages, as the adhesive will dry out in the extreme temps inside a pannier and pain killers have an experation date.
    Macho Man2 and Motomantra like this.