top bag

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Deacon, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Deacon

Deacon Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer:
    A while back I saw a "U" shaped bag that sat on top of the hard cases and wrapped around the rear of the bike...I think it was originally designed for an rt. If anyone knows where to go to find such a beast I would appreciate it. Wife wants to tour this summer and need to accomodate her modest wardrobe...:rofl
  2. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that Mag's Bags sells the bags you are referring to. A yahoo search should turn them up, sorry but I don't have the URL.

-Scary
  3. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    I have been using one for the last couple years, it's great. I use a Jo's U-Pac. I don't think she has a url, but I bought my first at an RA rally a couple years ago and my dealership http://www.mortonsbmw.com sells them. The last I had on Jo (Jo Smithdeal) you could get her at Jo's Custom Creations, (757) 877-7803 and email at jo_upac@yahoo.com

They come in three sizes and are meant to go over the saddle bags and the luggage rack acting as a backrest and arm rest for the pillion.

Alot of folks that don't ride two up (like me) flip them backwards and put it across the rear seat and over the saddle bags backwards around the top case. Holds tons of shit and you only have to tie down one thing. Zips all the way around, holds tent, sleeping bags, tarp, air matress, stove, charcoal grill and beer, lots of beer and then some. Also handy for motel stops, since you can put the whole mess over your shoulder, in the room and then back out again instead of dealing with separate bags.

If you tell her that you intend to use it backwards she will add reflective strips on the parts that normally face forward - pretty cool.

Here is an article with a pic from the MOA web site: http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/AlaskaSojourn/preparation.htm
  4. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Just found the URL, Joe's U-Pac is alive and well, however she is leaving today for Daytona.

Joe's U-Pac Website
  5. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    :dunno
    Can you use it with the top case?
  6. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    That's how we use them. backwards around the front of the top case and over the saddlebags. We save the top case for lightweight stuff that you need to keep protected, ceegars, flasks, etc.

We use two sets of H2W tie down straps to keep them on the bike, takes less than a minute to carry the bag to the bike and have it all tied down.

Keeps the weight forward and low (centered on the pillion seat) and can also be used as a back rest and a place to keep your beer handy:beer
  7. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    have ya tried it two up with the top case?
  8. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Nope, I like my wife a lot, but not that much:feelgood

They were designed to go over the luggage rack and act as both a back rest and arm rests when riden bitch.

If you are ever near Fairfax I would gladly show you ours and if you want you can try it.

Email me off line and we can do Barley Therapy. Also have 2200 square feet of motorcycle mainteance area with tools, compressor and lift at my office - gives me a place to hide on nights and weekends if my kids stop by.
  9. freaking RT

Oddometer:
    sounds like a plan :thumb

next ride in that direction, I'll drop you a line:):