Top Secret New Adv Bike Coming....

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pantah, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look for a star spangled July launch of a brand new 'adventure' motorcycle offering from a manufacturer totally new to the space.:brow

Think big bore air-cooled twin. Think dry sump and elec FI. Think 8 1/2 inches of the latest Showa suspension, and unique chassis architecture to go with it. Think 400lbs dry weight and some 80hp at the wheel.:drums

Think under $11k. :stoned

And after thinking about it myself, I think it emerges the most successful model yet from the marque and a likely MOTY winner...:clap

'Course, we gotta' see it first.....July

- pantah
  2. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

:loco
  3. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cob
    Ahhh come on!!!! At least give us a hint as to who is making this new one!

TC
  4. JelloLee

JelloLee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like MOTOGUZZI!!

Dude, I'd be *all* over that.

Hmmm...or possibly something more staid...like a Honda :\

Hmm...what about Buell? do they do air cooled?
  5. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the star spangled part and big bore is a big hint to Buell?
  6. L.A.

L.A. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, that's exactly what I was thinking....
  7. reality checker

reality checker FWG

Oddometer:
    If I was going to guess who would be entering the ring "from a manufacturer totally new to the space", I would not be thinking of the normal bike makers.

I would wonder where the new manufacturer would get a Vee twin with FI that has some R&D time on it, then I would wonder who has experience with off road stuff, then I would wonder who has street bike experience, a marketing group, a sales force and a dealer network. I might also wonder who has a loyal following of consumers.

I could be way off on this, but I would say that one company that meets all the above criteria is POLARIS. They have a Vee twin in their street bike, it has FI, it has been up and running, and selling some for several years, Polaris has been building ATV's since ATV meant 3 wheelers, they matured thru the 2 stroke thing and were able to sell consumers on the heavier and for the most part lower powered 4 stroke for their ATV and 6 wheelers, they have a wide dealer network, there have probably been more than a few noses broken and teeth knocked out during late night discussions over which sleds are faster/more durable/better, they have some manufacturing capacity since they are exiting the watercraft market.

Every time I fill out one of their consumer surveys, I say: "make me a dual sport bike/dirt bike, I want to buy one from you.

If they are not the company that is having the "star spangled July launch" , they should be.

I am breaking in a new KLR 650 right now, but I would still like to see a Polaris Trail boss 2 wheeler. Maybe by the time I tire of the KLR I will be able to overcome the thought of spending 11,000 for a toy.
  8. Gee-Tee

Gee-Tee DR dual-sporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in for a Polaris!
  9. vintagemxr

vintagemxr old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer:
    Saw a proposed adv. touring bike from a well known manufacturer last year. Was being evaluated next to a GS. Looked ok but was a "mule" so it was hard to draw any real conclusions. Some companies are not afraid to branch out if it means more profit and more cheesey accesories to sell. Non-disclosure aggreements keep me from saying more.
  10. L.A.

L.A. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I interpreted the "space" to be the dualsport market, thus the Buell hypothesis. Just a thought...
  11. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Based on the post, I'd say HD-buell. But the part of 400lbs, 80 hp and under 11K makes me think it's:loco
  12. JelloLee

JelloLee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, you're right, I didn't pay attention to the Star Spangled part.
  13. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Polaris or Buell are good bets. Got a friend that will let me know if it's Polaris, but if it is, he's been real quite about.
  14. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    There was a rumor circulating a few months back that Harley Davidson was going to get into the dual-sport business, so that's my guess.
  15. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't buy one of those. Founder can't even spell his name right.

Jurgen

BTW-what the hell is dry sump vs wet sump? And what are the advantage of each?
  16. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    dry sump means there is very little oil in the crank case it is held in a reservoir. this means less windage so less loss of hp

ps wet is cheaper to make
  17. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Carrying the oil in a separate reservoir/oil tank means a more compact engine in theoryi.e. KTM950 & Aprilia v-twins. Some bikes utilise the frame itself as the oil tank or even the swingarm in the case of the later Buells.
  18. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Obviously it will either be a HD/Buell or a Victory. Would not be surprised if both enter this maket. Both have a history with off road machines, and it makes sense for both. I would bet however, if it is a HD product that it will be a Buel and not HD. I can't see Harley rocking the boat with its mainstream customer base. Look what happend with the V-Rod. The first "new think" product from The Motor Co. and the only HD that can be had for less than list.

On the other hand Victory is still trying to find out where it's niche is going to be and would be more likely to experiment with a new type of bike. Remember they were way ahead of the competition when they introduced the original Sport Cruiser a couple of years back. Of course that model bombed, but hey, what do I know?

Rick
    :thumb
  19. GaelicDog

GaelicDog Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer:
    How about INDIAN with outside support? They are coming back with a stronger financial supporter this time around.
  20. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Ummm... ATK?