Top Secret New Adv Bike Coming....

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pantah, Mar 26, 2005.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    The last thought to run through his mind? "OH SHIT!!!!!!!!!"
  2. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    I figure the last thing to run through his mind was the ground.
  3. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its funny cause it wasn't me, damn I'm glad that wasn't me. I think I'd rather pee my pants on a date.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    :baldy :baldy :baldy--was in town doing errands on Friday. I came this close (fingers held 1mm apart) to going to Chic's to see what they knew. Hope that at least one is there tomorrow.

Pic showing the orange--not yellow :dunno

[​IMG]

Jurgen
  5. SuperMARTO

SuperMARTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now, I havent read all the posts in this thread, so maybe someone metioned it already, but CYCLE WORLD magazine had a big write up on the ulysses, as well as a comparo between it and a multistrada and a beemer.
  6. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    If your still buying those rags like Cycle World you deserve a Ulyssseesss..
    :rolleyes
    AND if you belive even one third of what they write...:poser
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Daymn, there are always things I like about most new bikes. This one sure is sweet look'n :freaky
  8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Yep, a very favorable review, too. I can't wait to swing a leg over one.
  9. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    To the Socalboys. California H-D Buell in Harbor City (PCH) has one in Orange. Its for sale, for MSRP, dealership pays sales tax. Mine has not come in yet.

Brett
  10. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Let's see, believe CW or some anonymous Internet poster with a name copied from a comic strip.

Hmm, let me decide here.....
  11. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by dagwood
    "If your still buying those rags like Cycle World you deserve a Ulyssseesss..

AND if you belive even one third of what they write..."

I've been reading CW for a long time now. Probably getting close to 15 years, by now.
    Of course, I don't hang out with the testers on the weekend or anything, and it is naive to believe everything you read. However, I have to say that a lot of their review are pretty well spot on to what I can tell from my experience. I get to ride anything I want that's made new by Kaw,Suzi, Honda, or Yamaha. So, I can take a lot of stuff for a ride.
    Time and again, their reviews are pretty close, if not right on, to how I feel about the machines.
    CW's Ulysses article has made me want one really bad now.
    But hey, to each his own.

:bueller
  12. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  13. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why are you baggin on Dagwood, He's an Advrider staple, and has given me solid advice free of charge, magazines just try to sell me stuff (in addition to paying for the damn thing).
  14. slide

Oddometer:
    I don't know what 'baggin' is, but I suspect it means he was baggin on CW writers who, no doubt, have more bike knowledge in their fingernail clippings than he has in his entire body.

I've hung with some of them and I'll tell you that these guys are for real. Meanwhile, he's nothing but an imitation name carrying a nasty attitude toward his betters.
  15. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    I think in the end we have to remember that the mags are just opinions, just like everyone else's here. They just get published with flashy pictures. I think the really telling review may come from Motorcyclist. They've always been hard on Buells.

Brett
  16. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    More DP experience?
  17. slide

Oddometer:
    Bohem also seems to be lately promoting BMW's quite hard. I think that it will cause the mag, which is heavily editor influenced, to tilt against the new U because clearly the U will rob sales from the existing base. OTOH, if it expands the base then all win.

Time after time people ask me about my d/s bikes and comment how they seem to make sense. But I can't get them to TRY it. They stroll past the good bikes and buy the overly specialized cruisers or sportbikes and then lament not being able to follow down those dirt roads.

I do NOT think the d/s segment has many in there who wish to take on Mosquito Pass with their road bike. The vast potential market are those road only bike riders who only wish to go on unpaved, but otherwise decent roads.

The serious over the top enthusiast, here on this board represented by folks like Esteban and Crash, already have found the sport. The new guys are the guys who want to try dirt roads, and nice roads at that, and then maybe they'll evolve into hard core or maybe not. However, if they try a general purpose bike like the U, they probably won't return to the silly specialized bikes.

Note to all: Buell is doing what all others (aside from BMW) has failed to do. It is MARKETING this bike to those who are not already d/s riders. The BMW GS is fine, but too much money for many folks who figure why not pay half and get a specialized? Here, the Buell isn't cheap, but it's not unconsciable either.

I hope they sell more than they can produce.
  18. soloyosh

Oddometer:
    My understanding from the press intro was that everyone liked/loved the bike but the #1 question was: "Are you going to be able to build enough?"

We'll see. Still waiting on mine.

Brett
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the number of threads and variety of commentary surrounding the new Buell, it appears to me that there is a whole market out there looking to ride an American V-twin somewhere more substantive then Bikeweek...Moreover, the age demographic appears to be coming from the right end of the spectrum.

Bravo Buell (even though I am still bummed)!
    -pantah
  20. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    [font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ride report on the Uly or 'X'? Posted here: http://www.sacborg.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=013244, & passed to badweb.
    Some of you may be interested. 205? Whatever-
    *************************************************************************************
    I took my new Uly down a 3 mile OHV road up in the San Bernadino's last weekend (for full review of the 570 mile inaugural ride, see the badweb thread here
    [/font]