Top Secret New Adv Bike Coming....

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pantah, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Redne Dab

Redne Dab Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    A slightly less flowery and a lot more realistic ride report here.
    :lurk
    Hoping this Buell will make itself useful by getting Kawasaki and/or Honda back into the two cylinder adventure game again,

Brad
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't understand your comments. IE: The facade is..& less flowery and more realistic. ??
    I thought they were both realistic reports.
    Ever ride a Buell? Lots say it feels like a big dirt bike.
    Mine does. That one bike that guy wrote about in the link you sent must be screwed up. Bummer. New bikes. !!
    Both posts from hard core Buell site too.
    I don't drink the Kool-Aide.
    But I sure would like to see an American bike do good for a change.
    It is all good info in any case.
  3. Limper

Limper Hot

Oddometer:
    The XBX is a great bike with the best ergos I've experienced and quality engineering throughout. But after my demo ride, I would agree with the report noted in Redne Dab's post.
  4. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geeze, that Blake! He sez:
    "Does the statement that
    "I've been excited about the XBX for months now" cause anyone to question motives here?"
    Did he miss your next 2 sentences?
    "Couldn't wait to see it and get a demo ride. Put my deposit down to lock up an orange one."
    Question motives? WTF?!
    Is that "45" guy a long distance mind reader? I was amazed that he knew your political leanings from what you posted.
    :poser
    I don't post there & seldom go to that site.
    Like some of the others there that DID NOT flame you, I am somewhat mystified by Speedysheep's your test rides. Mostly concerning the vibes & lack of low rpm tractability. Sounds nothing like my '96 S1. Hey, they don't call Buells tractors for nothing ya know. Zero vibes above 3k rpm. I can only think that there was something wrong with those particular 2 bikes. At least I hope that is the case. Still, for 2 of them to act that way does not sound good.
    Until the Uly showed up the old 'tuber' S1 Lightings are really the only ones that I have ever been interested in. Thought I may even buy a used & sorted Uly some day. Never a new bike again I think. Don't even get me started on my '96 KTM Duke.
    PLEASE do look at my 3 posts for further clarification on my opinions, including the site we have referred to above.
    I thank you for yours.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1678801#post1678801
    post 3157.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1675907#post1675907
    posts 1222 & 1224
  5. Strombony

Strombony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i did a demo ride on the uly last week at sturgis. pretty cool bike.
    nicely thought out. did not get to ride it on any gravel. good power, brakes.
    i'm 6-3 and it fit me. very interesting ride.
  6. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    re the CW article, dont miss the go down section, along with the riders advice of watching the throttle in dirt, like they said, no sliding, slide. :evil

aint nothing perfect, that's this bikes weak spot in the dirt, but what makes it weak there will make it turn like a MF compared to any of the other bikes (think ying/yang) listed with it. if that works for you great. probably not a problem for some but weather some new to dirt, sporty riders realize this, ah hell they dont seem to want to hear this anyway.

and Dagwood aint no "anonymous Internet poster" i'd take his advice more then a guy who was paid to shmooze with Eric at the factory/rides as the article did mention one of 'em did.

hope they sell 'em all, since in the US u can mainly just rent HD, maybe they'll have 'em for rent? it'd be fun for a couple days of back road bombing

7. SuperMARTO

SuperMARTO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...I just read the reply from dagwood about CW (two years later)... You do realize that their magazine is the number one motorcycle publication in the world, I beleive. And with good reason. The articles are written by actual motorcycle enthuisiasts, and read by the same. If you don't understand why they will always be the best "rag" whose unbiased opinon is respected by many, then there is no sense trying to explain it to you or anyone else who rides a GSXHarleyBusaRod-RRRRR1 with a 300,000 cm. wide rear tire, extended chrome swing-arm, and a 24" over fork:puke1

Someone else complained about the advertising? The only thing I can complain about is the Geico card-stock ad, but that gets ripped out the minute I get my new issue open.:bluduh

I am a CW subscriber for life, and I will never give Moroncyclist my money... they wrote an article on "Burning Man" last month... burning man? BURNING MAN?!! In contrast, CW chose to do a write up on the history of the Isle of Man TT. No contest!
  8. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Hey Super. You ever read Bike from the UK? Before you decide, you really ought to give it a try. Seems you and I are about the only ones here who give CW it's due too.
  9. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Building enough after the first few months will not be a problem......selling enough and getting people on them for a test ride will be a serious problem, especially with a dealer network who does not push test riding experiences and does not dedicate the necessary effort to doing the heavy duty hard selling that will be required.

You remember the Uly's sold like hotcakes for the first 3-6 months and after that have basically been collecting dust ever since.
  10. Crusty

Crusty Cranky old fart

Oddometer:
    I don't know what planet you're on, but here on earth, they've been selling fairly well.
  11. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he means the '06's. Lots of folks waited to see how the bike panned out before they committed to buying one, and once the '07's came out, with various improvements and recalls already taken care of, perspective Uly buyers jumped on them instead.

I see a few '06's in dealers once in a while, but '07's seem to have gotten snatched up right quick. And the '08's are on the way.
  12. slide

Oddometer:
    Where do you guys get sales figures from? How can either of you say it's a dog in sales or still moving out unless you work at Finance at Buell / H-D?
  13. NipseyR

NipseyR livin the dream

Oddometer:
    H-D does not break it down by model in their annual report but sales are up in 2006:

2005 Buell's sold 11,200
    2005 Buell net revenue 93.1 million

2006 Buell's sold 12,500
    2006 net revenue 102.2 mil

Not sure if that says anything, but it is a good trend
  14. slide

Oddometer:
    My point, Nipsey. This chart shows Buell is improving but those guys were on each other about U sales which, IMO, is a Buell secret known only to officers and Finance.
  15. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am basing it on the ones sitting around dealerships which now have a crust of dust on them.....there are still '06 models out there so it is obvious they have not been FLYING OUT......no disrespect but it is like most new machines where there is a shortage which quickly gets made up........1200 GS, Stroms and New Bandits were in short supply...the new KLR too and now there are plenty of all them....probably still a shortage of new Concours but that is temporary. The new B's will be hotties for a little.
  16. slide

Oddometer:
    The only bikes which seem to be selling faster as time goes on are the new Tigers and the BMW G's (challenge and country). First a slow seller then as the rep got out, they sell more and more. AFAIK, there are no leftovers with the season still here.

The U did seem to have the hype bulge which also hit the new KLR, the HP2 and the 950. Each bike was heavily hyped creating a FUD backlog of demand which was quickly satisfied.

Looking backward, I'm not sure all this bike hype is a good thing because it creates the sales bulge and then it seems that folks don't like it and they stop buying. I think it makes the bikes so affected look bad.
  17. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second to what Slide sez. Anecdotal only, but having flogged Ulys at Santa Fe H-D for a summer, and not sold one even as inventory piled up, I can tell you that for us anyway they were a bad dream. When we would trade with other dealers to get bikes our customers wanted, like a Heritage Classic or something, we got stuck more than once by the other dealer elsewhere in the country adding, "Oh yeah...and you gotta take this Ulysses too."

We tried stuff like $1k of accessories free; and the mgr, a very good guy, tried hard to deal when we did get someone interested. But with GSs down the street for the well-heeled, and PJ getting rid of (lower priced) Tigers down in Albuquerque, it was an impossible sell.
  18. slide

Oddometer:
    gajin - are you still at SF H-D?
  19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    That brings back a bit of reality to the picture!
  20. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    No sir. After a hideous series of life events I left Santa Fe entirely, shipped my Ford, and rode the Tiger to CT to move back in with my parents. (Yes, that's how bad my finances are.) Searching for job right now and hooking up with the RAT groups and inmates out here...