Top Secret New Adv Bike Coming....

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Pantah, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dgunther

dgunther rides ugly bikes

Oddometer:
    I know I saw a *lot* of Ulys at the Buell Homcoming this year. For a bike that's only been out 2 model years, it was a significant portion of the bikes in attendance - probably 20% or so.

I also saw more of them on the factory floor waiting to be shipped than any other model, but that may have just been what was scheduled to ship that week.
  2. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

I thought someone mentioned that the Uly was the best selling Buell yet.:dunno
  3. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Well, Tiger to Tiger, if you're ever out here again....
  4. slide

Oddometer:
    There are a hell of a lot of GM POS 'waiting to be shipped' at various storage points. I have to agree that there seem to be a lot of leftover U's out there - even some 06's apparently. I think the dealer net is killing the bike. Too many dealer stories including my own.
  5. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    Again I have to agree. And here let me get a little philosophical.

HD really needs new blood on its bikes--that's not a secret. Baby boomer riders are a juicy demographic now, but not the foundation of sales success in 2025. Buell's an attempt to capture a different kind of rider than HD has appealed to since the 80s. Many HD sales folks get this and can talk to a rider who might be interested in a City-X or a Uly...but many sales folks don't. Off-roading, and even the style of slab adventure touring the Ulysses is also aimed at, is simply not part of their life experience and vocabulary. It's too far out of their comfort zone to discuss fluently. Thus the "you're not here" act on the showroom floor.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not excusing bad, sloppy or inept customer service. A HD salesperson's success primarily comes from his or her strength in the company's traditional lines. Believe me, that's how the numbers work, on the spreadsheets, from the sales perspective.

I think it will take quite a few more years before HD can judge whether the Uly is a success or not. My personal belief is that at 10,000 feet, every Buell of any sort that HD sells could be (and maybe is) a loss leader to get that customer back into the showroom when he's ready for a big-margin Fat Boy or a Road King. In the meanwhile HD will need to build a lot more awareness for the Ulysses brand.

FWIW, I wouldn't own one. I've ridden them on several occasions and find them rattle-y, immature and unsophisticated compared to the Tiger. That doesn't mean I don't wish Harley the best for the model, and I also remain completely certain there are many many people who can out-ride me on their Ulysses. Ulysseses. Ulyssi.

/hijack

P.S. Slide--Tiger : Tiger--thanks man.

ok...really // hijack.
  6. DirtHopper

DirtHopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buell already has their adventure bike...besisdes they wouldn't be able to meet the criteria of under 400lbs OR $11K. They wouln't be able to sell the Uly anymore
  7. sooner02r1

sooner02r1 Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I was thinking maybe Bimota, until I saw the sub $11K pricetag.
  8. fatalerror

fatalerror skrik vir niks

Oddometer:
    South West Florida, USA [formerly, South Africa]
    July launch huh...:norton
  9. slide

Oddometer:
    Funny you should say that Gaijin about H-D. I've been reading some of the mags which are now discussing the 'new' 2008 models. Most mfgs have something of interest to me even if I'm not in the market now.

I read about H-D's line and I'm actually embarrassed for the company. Improvements read like, "For 2008, the Fat Boy Big Dump has an additional tassel - this time on its rear fender". One copy actually did read close to "For those who like the traditional look, the new Softtail Springer....". Look? Tradition? What tradition? H-D's real tradition is to me like that guy Weber whose pix are posted on this board. This guy jumped old H-D's in 1954 doing real d/s riding on 700 lb Harleys. That's the H-D tradition I admire - no **#&#& tassels.

Buell really is the traditional H-D which once meant the latest and greatest tech; or at least trying for it. The K engine in 1955 (?) was the hottest thing going in a sport bike. Today Buell is carrying forward that tradition in H-D where the F models are laughable throwbacks. The F is like if H-D in 1955 instead of the K came out with a flathead 45 c.u. model with a floor clutch and hand shift.

Add decent liquid cooling to the U (I suppose you can) and a decent dealer net and watch sales soar.
  10. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth!
  11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Up until the last few years H/D was selling every bike it could make.
    And they were selling more bikes then everyone was selling in the late 80's.

As for Buell they just added a watercooled engine to the lineup.

I'd not be surprised to see it in other bikes in the Buell line up

However I don't think that by adding watercooling alone is going to make buell sales jump. Their bikes are still a little off beat.
  12. Kainic

Kainic Almost there

Oddometer:
    Ducati :wink:
  13. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    Remember when the R1200C was "the best selling" BMW in history? Where is it now?

(And it didn't need any help when it came to "looking bad".)
  14. slide

Oddometer:
    No, I don't remember. Where did you get that the 12C was a good selling bike.

Me and a buddy went shopping for an RT12 & the salesman joked about how much he'd like us to buy his remaining C instead. He made a lot of joking remarks about how ugly the bike was too.

Where did you get this?
  15. xlcr

Oddometer:
    BMWNA marketing. link to a book
    chromeheads thread
  16. slide

Oddometer:
    Bizarre. The 1200C....
  17. ridin gaijin

Oddometer:
    ...Well...until 1960 (??), when Triumph came out with the Bonneville. Which ate everyone's lunch for years on any kind of track at all...even prompting HD to come out with a knockoff called...the Sportster. Which still lost out to the Triumphs. But recently celebrated its 50th anniversary.

I read a piece in some motorcycling mag a few months ago by the guy who was the lead designer (I think) for Indian's attempted reincarnation. He made some really cogent points about size & weight creep and how (he felt) both eventually played a role in the marque's downfall. I agree that greatness eludes the Fs. Maybe the increase in women riders--and HD has the most coherent plan of any manufacturer I know for going after that segment--will help abate the weight...but I doubt it.

The liquid cooling won't do much in that direction either. There are too many Fs and they cost too much. Of course, HD hasn't gone outta business yet, so what do I know...?
  18. xlcr

Oddometer:

The OHV Sportster came out in 1957.

(Try subtracting 50 from 2007.)
  19. Red_Chili

Red_Chili Fresh Ground

Oddometer:
    This is amazing. The life of rumors...

Did anyone notice the date of origin of this thread? It turned out to be the Buell Ulysses.:wave
  20. ridin gaijin

Oddometer:
    I'll never be the first to claim personal math excellence; nevertheless, RTFP--I only wrote that it was after 1960 and a response to the Bonnie.

/...me has spent too much time drinking the HD Kool-Aid in the sales floor break room...