Top Ten Roads in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Tama's Tigre, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    LINK

Nice to see the thread resurrected. Would love to see more contributions and the thread brought up to date :thumb
  2. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paved roads in Western Mexico:

1) The 500 km very curvy, very long paved road SW from Durango city through Jesus Maria to San Blas Nayarit. I dont think it has a name but it is a lot of fun? Get an early start, bring food and water and top off in Mezquital.

2) +1 for HW 40 (El Espinazo). There is a lot less truck traffic on it these days now that the new Autopista is done. It has the tightest curves of any paved road I know.

3) +1 for HW 24/23 from Creel to Parral. Not as curvy as the others but very nice relaxed curves, great countryside and in great shape. If you continue south to Durango make sure you cut west through Santa Maria del Oro to Tepehuanes. It is more fun than 45. Especially now that they are widening 45 from Parral to DGO and it is a construction zone.

4) HW 26 from Durango city NW to Topia/Canellas through Santiago Papasquiaro. It is about 800 km round trip with at least 600 being mountainous curves. They are paving the road past Canellas to Tamazula and Culiacan. It's wild country up there but amazing scenery!
  3. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, how I want to go back. All roads are great, south of the border!
    Must get back to Mexico!!!
  4. Klutch

Klutch gringo goatrider

Oddometer:
    Hwy 76 SW from Tepic is a blast on a supermoto or a 600cc sportbike. Super smooth and twisty
  5. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes 76 is great. short but sweeter than sweet! great surface and non stop twisties.
    Klutch likes this.
  6. Mainecoons

Mainecoons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you guys planning a group ride of the Devil's backbone this winter? If this is a pavement ride, I'd like to know more. I'm just down the road from you in Ajijic. I think we've corresponded by email before. I'm Dan Houck.
  7. Catracho

Catracho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got lost searching for the Zapatista villages outside San cristobal de las casas and found some incredible roads. These were my favorite in Mexico/Central America
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    which road are they?
  9. TravelZen

TravelZen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those pics are great! Just dropping a comment here so I can come back to this info later.
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I was on the DGO 44 from the 45 to Sta M D Oro. It was getting a bit beat up, but nothing that couldn't be handled on a street bike. The drive from Parral to Sta M D Oro was one of the best parts of that trip to visit family.

One of the things I really enjoyed seeing was the rock walls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wonder how old they are, and how long it took to build. And there were many of these.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rock fences are quite interesting. I often wonder who built them and what their lives were like. :norton