TOPO 100K on SD stupid question

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by onesaintsfan, Feb 26, 2019.

1. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    on my GPS I have music etc loaded on the SD card in the unit. If I purchase TOPO 100K will I be able to load maps on the the internal SD card and still keep music etc. In other words do you have to insert the TOPO SD card to use the map? I have a 32gb card in the GPS that has a good bit of room left. Thanks in advance
  2. rescuejg

rescuejg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of GPS?

Does the GPS also play music?
  3. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably already know that if TOPO is the SD version the card will be locked so unable to add music to it and it is not possible (to my knowledge) to copy the TOPO Sd contents to the unit memory to free up the SD.
    Just a guess (as I don't play music) if the TOPO the download version or a very early CD version I see no reason the file types can not be on the same Sd card so lang as the folder/file structure are per Garmin protocols.

Unit type would yield better informed answers.

Bruce
  4. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    I wanted to load the map off the TOPO sd card into the SD card on the unit. The GPS is a Garmin 396lmt-s (Sorry). It stands to reason though that the TOPO SD card would be locked or unable to be copied from. TOPO on fhis unit is probably not worth it.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i would make a disk image on my desktop, copy the locked partition to that disk image, and finally add those directories/maps/whatever to a bigger card that can store my mp3s and stuff without the drm being involved.

this might be against the end user license agreement, but as an owner of the maps (not a renter/ borrower) i wouldn't give a damn.

also, i would never pay money for any product that used drm to prevent me from using it however/wherever i wanted to. but that's just me and totally off topic from the op question :-)
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Topo 100k loaded on the SD card on my Montana. It is a very old version (~2000) and is not locked to a unit.
    I seem to be able to do anything I want to the rest of the disc.

Because of the 4000 tile limit I rename the file type of East and West so I can switch between the two.
    I guess I could put music there, but I don't think the Montana can play it.

I suspect you could find the older version of Topo 100k on ebay. I use MapInstall to create and install the .img file.
  7. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    Maybe could find a disk copy of TOPO?