topos and workflow on the iphone (coming from the kyocera thread)

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by hotwheels22, Mar 11, 2019.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    1. anyone mind giving me the thumbnail version on how to get topos to my iphone?

2. also, i chunked through that massive kyocera thread but it seems more tailored to hardware. a little android software on there. but is there a thumbnail explanation on the workflow to get started on the iphone with trip planning trips, modifying trips while on the road and transferring files?

3. is there a method for planning trips on an iphone or mac laptop and getting them to a GPS/wifi only kyocera?

also any links from the gurus would be really welcome if they don’t mind letting me know which are good.
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Couple thoughts for you. I was an iPhone user up until a month ago. The latest ios update burned off the remaining internal storage space to the point that I had to delete most of my music ..... not acceptable for me. Not wanting to purchase another iPhone, this was a great opportunity for me to make the jump to the "ruggedized" Kyocera Duraforce Pro. $80 for a mint-condition DFP from Swappa plus a 64gb micro SD card put me in business. It's been an adjustment getting used to the craptastic way of Android, lol, but anyhow....

Here's a little tutorial I put together for iPhone and the Guru (Galileo Pro) app.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/galileo-pro-quick-start-guide.1166708/

My eyes and patience are not good enough to plan much of a route on ANY phone's screen, lol. All my planning is done on a PC and transferred to the phone. You should also check out Scenic, it is the one iPhone app that I actually could plot out a route while on the go if needed. Note Guru is not a routing engine (when offline). When offline, you basically have a road map that you highlighted a road that you want to travel. So you can venture off and it will not re-calculate. I use CoPilot to get me from A to B, more like your traditional Garmin GPS works. If I had a data plan, I'd just use Google Maps, but I'm on a $25/month no-data plan. :)
    ohgood and hotwheels22 like this.
  3. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    thanks for that scootertrog. printing that link and will read it in the morning. can i follow up please? some of this stuff is a bit of a moving target in general and since i am in and out with trying to tackle it it gets tricky.

there was a half decent garmin app that i bought that they closed i guess and we are not talking about that i guess.

and i see that Galileo Pro was way in the back of all my offline GPS apps? now it is Guru which i guess i see on my App icon anyway (and not Galileo Pro?). i do see i have some kind (tracking?) tests in there when i opened it.

also, i just posted a thread on mappite.org after finding it hiding in my "GPS other" apps. it looks mighty interesting. i see you mention it in that link.

so you are trip planning in mappite and saving it to the cloud and then opening the file after navigating in Guru?

lastly, i was thinking to get the kyocera. and just basically use it on the bike as GPS. iphone for my communication and kyocera for the GPS and really not even take it off the bike basically. i've been experimenting with my old iphone in an otter case as a GPS only device. this is interesting since it syncs to my iCloud account and i have everything basically MIRRORED right there which is nice. not sure what you think about that but /decoupling/ the GPS from my find-a-hotel-make-a-phone-call-take-a-photo-check-the-time-got-all-my-life-in-there phone by buying the kyocera did seem to make a lot of sense.

but i would probably want to trip plan on the iphone just because i don't need to learn to much android except to get by with the GPS.

can i ask you to give me a bit more of a bump start on those thoughts?

THANK YOU

jon
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    If you are comfortable/proficient with laying out a route on your phone screen, by all means stick with what works for you. :)

The work flow process is the same for either the iPhone or Kyocera as far as getting my Mappite route (trk) into Guru. I don't use the Cloud, I just email the trk file to myself and open it on the phone.

I used a LifeProof Nuud case on the iPhone, which sat in a SlipGrip RAM mount cradle. Worked great, and was perfectly happy with my setup. I only paid $100 for the iPhone at the time, and was not willing to pay more for a newer or more-capacity model. The Kyocera Duraforce line of phones looked to be the best value/solution as a replacement. Your thoughts about keeping both phones is viable, I just wanted only 1 device to keep track of. If you are into off-road riding, with the Android phone you'll have access to the very powerful Locus app that is widely liked amongst forum members. The aforementioned Scenic app is not yet running for Android. Ask all the questions you want, there are many folks here that have been down this same road, they have been great about helping others get this figured out. You've already had your eyes opened to the light as far as smartphone navigation so you've cleared the largest hurdle. :)