Tori's Trails

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ToriMish, Jul 25, 2019.

1. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be a big ask of the SE, maybe the 690.
    Only thing getting you up there is momentum and gas. Keep it on baby.:imaposer
    Being a 50kg rider would assist too and I think we are both past that.
    ToriMish likes this.
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Don't start back-pedaling now Bigbore, next you'll wanna take the Berg:D - wanna see that SE going up that hill!:lurk
  3. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    I'm running front tubliss too. Works fine. I'm not a fast enough rider to run mousses.

Your onboard of that second hill attempt I thought for sure you had enough right hand to make it. It's amazing how the sand just saps your speed all of a sudden. Your big roost gave it away. You had plenty of right hand input for sure. She just started going down instead of forward.

Just make sure you carry a pump so you can get the outer back up to 8 or 9 psi again after you've conquered the sandhill next time.

And get footage for us. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the kohunas to get my 950SE up there.

Edit: it'll be colder in 2 weeks too, way more chance on harder sand!
    bigborett and ToriMish like this.
  4. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need a subthread: Tori's Fails.
    bigborett and ToriMish like this.
  5. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I always ride with a couple of compact pumps - a regular 3-piston pump for the outer chamber, and a shock pump that is rated to 300PSI - which I use exclusively for the inner tubliss bladder pressure. I've found the regular bike pump struggles, the shock pump is the go.

That hill climb footage was 4 days into a multi-day ride. I was travelling ultra-light, with a MOSKO 10 on the 390RR. We were camping and carrying all our food. It was probably the lightest I've ever travelled on a multi-day ride; some of the blokes were quite heavily loaded and suffered somewhat due to this.

Camera gear and drones have to come along, but thankfully the Skydio fits in a compact case and I can attach it to my backpack.

I just put this little edit together, this was on day one, as we crossed the Little Desert to Kiata Campsite.

6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Yep, we've all swung over to TUbliss front and rear now. Ben did change to mousses over the past 18 months as he seriously got into the hard enduro series, but he hates how they start too firm, then wear out pretty quickly. The past 12 months he's been experimenting with both... he's cut a mousse down slightly to allow TUbliss to go in as well. So he can adjust the pressure AND have a fail-safe system too. It seems to be working, he's gone through six rear tyres but using the same mousse and TUbliss.

EDIT Just watched the latest vid... wow. My drone envy has just gone up a notch lol. Loving your choice of music in all the vids. If you ever run low on choices let me know as I've got a pile of copyright-free stuff.
    ToriMish and Hoots like this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kept getting fails with TUbliss in the front - went back to HD tubes - don't know whether a genuine issue, or installer error

TUbliss in the back, with a 525, works very well

@B1, is this what you mean?

ToriMish likes this.
  8. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yeah. It is. One added advantage is that you don't need to run extra rim locks for the mousses as the tubliss system holds the bead for you.

If you're having front fails, do you check inner pressure (100-110psi) before every ride? My one and only fail was due to running the inner too low. And letting Barry ride my bike!
    B1, Hoots and ToriMish like this.
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, check pressure in the inner tube - always kept that around 110psi

Was running quite low pressure in the outer chamber in the front (circa 4-6psi) and wondered whether the braking action was a factor

But the key benefit of TUbliss (for me) is the added drive through better traction - the front is less important - Ok to run an HD tube in there
    ToriMish likes this.
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I haven't actually seen how Ben has does it, but it looks the same from what he said. He's doing a lot of experimenting, I think he's also added a valve so he can drop some mousse lube in occasionally. It's probably why the mousse is lasting so long.
  11. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    What actually failed hoots?
  12. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    He tends to swear a fair bit if he has trouble on a hill .
  13. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me, swear? Go and get [email protected]#ed you pig F5$#ing *%!t, I'll give you swearing.

And surely I would never have trouble?
    Brute likes this.
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two valves tore out
  15. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Ok. Normally you'd say that was caused by too low pressure. Barry might have more info, but I seem to recall some sort of issue related to that with the gen1 model of tubliss.
    Hoots likes this.
  16. wass

wass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem, to me it seemed the rubber washer's edges too sharp and cutting into the tube at valve. Made rubber washer from inner tube itself and since have not had any further issues. YMMV.
    Hoots likes this.
  17. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went out for a late arvo blat ... Another Tori Fail.

Dropped rear pressure down to 4 PSI after this, which helped some, but this green shit over hard pack is bad news at any pressures. Steer well clear.

B1, Hoots and Ron50 like this.
  18. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    I just looked back over my old emails and the issue I was thinking of with the Gen1 tubliss was a rust issue with the wire in the inner red bead. So nothing to do with the valves ripping out
  19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    The valve stem ripping out sounds like a low pressure problem. I do know TUbliss say to keep them up around 100 psi. I did get a bit slack a while back and wouldn't check the high pressure tube for weeks, then suddenly find I was down to 60 psi. And the valve stem has angled over very slightly... so I'm back to checking it before each ride now.

Only other cause I could think of is a material defect in the tubes themselves?
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    I hit something like that years ago but on the DR650 in top gear, Tori. Just bopping along nicely and then not a hint of warning, the front wheel slipped out and I was sliding along this trail for a fair way. Just bruises thankfully... I see you've run with the American pronunciation of 'Beta' in the vid which is very considerate of you when posting it on a USA based forum.
    ToriMish likes this.