Tori's Trails

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ToriMish, Jul 25, 2019.

1. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Up our way around Woodenbong (or "The Bong") we do call that "the green dirt" and you get the exact same result. I've seen pile ups in that stuff, Steven Bradbury style
    ToriMish likes this.
  2. Dee Cee

Dee Cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes when living in the rain forest up on the Atherton Tablelands, we had the same type of hard packed clay with moss on it. Round a corner on my TT600 when out the back end goes, then back the other way, then back again and result was a big high side and bang, smashed my air box on my foot and one broken foot was the result. The bloke behind me said it was great to watch. Some comfort.

After some plaster and time on crutches it was all good again.

I keep a good eye out for that type moss on clay :eekers.
    ToriMish likes this.
  3. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I broke my leg on the same stuff, same swapping action as you mate. ATK 605.
    Dee Cee and ToriMish like this.
  4. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've come to realise that everyone loves to be on camera. I've got heaps of footage following friends riding, and I figured it would be cool to make little videos like this one, to showcase their lack of skills to a wider audience.

Anyway, Duffman is getting along at a good clip in this vid, through whoopy and sandy Big Desert terrain. My little Beta is working hard to keep up!

Cheers, Tori

LC8TY, Hoots, B1 and 2 others like this.
  5. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    I liked that
    ToriMish likes this.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Good speed through the sandy bits, Tori. Funny how sand gets easier to ride the faster you go... most of the time!
    ToriMish likes this.
  7. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    For sure Barry. You can't see it that well on the video but that trail is quite whooped. Trick is the right balance of speed but also control in the whoops. Going all out gets out of shape and can end badly. Nearly had an OTB a few weeks before as I got a bit loose on the bumpy stuff.
  8. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    When in doubt power out. :imaposer
    ToriMish likes this.
  9. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Great video Tori.
    ToriMish likes this.
  10. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Had the opportunity on the weekend to ride with one of our Dakar riders. About 7 to 800k's of sand and slippery river tracks. The Murray, Hattah, Murray Sunset, Big Desert. Great ride.

I don't get to ride much sand, I can ride it but was a little apprehensive with the company I was about to keep along with my current fitness.
    Well it certainly took my sand riding up a couple of notches. Following a lunatic will do that.:imaposer

We were all on big bikes, 790R, 790Rally, 890Rally and my antique SE(which was didn't show its age once, except for seizing on the way home).
    Twin tracks very similar to that in the video, not quite as tight, were tackled at speeds up to 150, the adrenaline was pumping. Lucky our Dakar friend was taking it easy on us.
    There was everything from the slippery stuff that I mentioned to very deep sand twin track to hidden whooped out MX style sand training tracks in the middle of bum fuck nowhere.

As you say B1, the faster you go the easier it gets, definitely easier in the body. Had a couple of big moments but only when slowing down.

Was very disappointed, I took my GoPro but the new chin mount that I had purchased was worthless on my ADV helmet. Would have been some fantastic footage at speed on some really varied tracks, following someone that can ride a bit.

Little side note. This guy is doing 4000k's plus a week by himself in sand and outback tracks including night rides in training for 2022. Commitment.
    Cruz, B1, a2zworks and 5 others like this.
  11. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    He must have deep pockets or good sponsors, the weekly fuel commitment costs alone . . :eek7
    ToriMish likes this.
  12. bigborett

Oddometer:
    That's what it takes.
    ToriMish likes this.
  13. bigborett

Oddometer:
    And as for fuel. His 890 only gets marginally better economy than my SE.:imaposer
    ToriMish and B1 like this.
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    The dreaded OTB! I'm getting a bit paranoid about them at the moment... obviously in part because that's how I got the spine fracture, but I've just done a vid about handguards and whether they can break your wrists or arms with an OTB. Quite a few guys are reporting that's what happened to them.
    ToriMish likes this.
  15. bigborett

Oddometer:
    That's why solid handguards, Barkbuster style, are not allowed in MX.
    B1 and ToriMish like this.
  16. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Yep I watched that one - I've had a few OTB's and never snapped my wrists/arms due to barkbusters, nor have I heard of any of my riding friends having such an injury. Yet I would have smashed fingers / hands badly had I not been running them. We do a lot of woods single track here also, I'd feel naked without decent protection for my hands. Your video discussion was spot on Barry.
    Simosez, theMISSIONARY and bigborett like this.
  17. ToriMish

Oddometer:

Alright, alright.

So - this bloody hill was the cause of many sleepless nights. Such angst! Such longing for completion! I just had to return . . . . . ! ! !

Turns out I did return; on a recent Big Desert / Wyperfeld National Park dirt bike ride, with a good crew :

Duffman : CRF450X
    Mark : CRF450X
    Cameron : KTM 625 Enduro
    Tori : BETA 390 RR Racing
    Oz : KTM 500 Exc
    Roy : Yamaha WR450F

We spent a good hour or so having fun on this hill; eating sand, laughing at our success and our failure. Good times!

The summit book was signed by Mark, Duff and yours truly. Cameron, Oz and Roy will have to come back for their moments of glory . . .

If anyone wants the GPS location of this hill let me know and I'll love to hear about how you went throwing your bike at it.

Peace and love and happy trails, Tori

18. ToriMish

Oddometer:

Hey guys,

Just a bit of footage from a few nights ago.

I went out for a spin on the 390; with the intention of getting some sweet drone footage.

First mistake was to take my eyes from the track; went over a jump and got a bit out of shape, the bike ran close to the side of the track, and as my luck would have it, a log that was sticking out slammed into my LHS radiator. It got bent up pretty bad. * (Note I fixed it a day later, wasn't too hard. Bike is good as new).

Next stuff up was the drone crashed (for the second time). Again, the drone cashed in one of its nine lives. Currently 2 of 9 used; 7 remaining! I can only hope. The battery was knocked from the Skydio 2 drone body, but there was no damage to the drone itself, just some scratches. I'm surprised by how durable the little Skydio 2 is.

Anyway, I got some pretty decent footage on the ride, so I thought I'd still edit it up with some sweet tunez by Atch (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChxQgW0d8-xmCGxi-adWl2A).

Cheers and happy trails,

Tori

19. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spewing
    Cool ride up until then
    ToriMish likes this.
  20. bigborett

Oddometer:
    What's the Skidio's max speed Tori?