Tori's Trails

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ToriMish, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately not as fast as I would like. You have to be mindful of speed if you want to get footage; it will do about 60-65kmph.

We usually ride that trail around 100kmph so you have to tone it down a bit.

I'm hoping the Skydio 3 will be a bit quicker; but all things considered it's hard to be unhappy with this Skydio 2 - it's just such an incredible piece of technology.
    bigborett likes this.
  2. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    160 for the desert.:-)
  3. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good footage again - though I'm waiting for the stack :)

I'm really surprised these drones don't have 'find me when I crash' feature - maybe bluetooth on a separate battery or constantly ping its GPS coordinates to your phone while in flight so you could go back to the last known position. It seems like it'd be very easy to lose one very expensive unit in the bush.

Shit - even a separate battery for the phone link would do the job.
    B1 likes this.
  4. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you are following Skydio on Facebook, Tori? Here are there are users explaining how they lost theirs, useful info! I'm following the page just in case I can ever afford one. I reckon Mavic and a pile of other brands will be trying to develop something similar.
    ToriMish likes this.
  5. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ToriMish likes this.
  6. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Surprising that it doesn't have "find my drone"?
    I'm pretty sure the Mavics do.
    I'd be taping the battery on too.
  7. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    It does have a 'find me' ping; but I resorted to looking for it manually. I had no reception in that location, and the map it pulled up wasn't an offline save, so it was next to useless.

I'm of two minds whether or not I should tape the battery on. One one hand yes, it's probably less likely to crash if the battery can't dislodge. On the other; any crash with the battery attached is going to be worse due to the extra weight it adds to the drone.

@saltyD there was no stack captured; I had anchored the drone out to max range, it decided to fly behind some trees and lost visual LOS. My radiator slammed into a branch that had been chainsawed near the edge of the track while I was peering after my Skydio 2. Was really unlucky. But yep, had I kept my eyes on the trail I wouldn't have hit the branch...
  8. bigborett

Oddometer:
    I would have thought that in most cases it would be crashing with the battery still in place?
    I guess it depends on it's orientation when crashing whether the battery is going to add to it's mass when it impacts.
    If the battery flicks of on twigs in flight it is ensuring a crash and quite possibly a lost battery.

I know Dave found his Mavic Mini(?) well into the bush and snow a few weeks ago using the directional tracking available. Was very lucky, would have had zero chance where it was without the gps tracking.
    ToriMish likes this.
  9. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    I nearly lost my DJI FPV drone in heavy bush - only found it because of the 'find me' - there was a log file on the controller I could download.
  10. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    That's pretty funny as I was watching you look at the drone I was thinking"look at where you're going Tori", and then we cut to your crash!

I could tell you were going slower than normal for the drone to stay with you.

Still a great vid though. Did you actually get the crash footage?
    B1 likes this.
  11. V8R

V8R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i do love your video style.. un ashamed to speak aussie as well! ;)
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Hey Tori, good to see that Skydio just announced they are shipping to Australia. I know it cost a packet to get your drone sent over...

A bummer they kicked the price up so much or I might have been tempted myself!
    ToriMish likes this.
  13. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Always a catch.
    ToriMish and B1 like this.
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've been blown away by Tori's drone footage. I just slap a camera on top of a three metre long selfie stick strapped to my waist. It ain't exactly the same thing lol.
    ToriMish likes this.
  15. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Must be great through the single track. Lol
    B1 likes this.
  16. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Hey Barry - wait till you see the footage we got from a recent Flinders Ranges trip! We managed a week away this month and really enjoyed it. I've ridden there previously; for Lisa it was her first time.

I'm spending the next few days working through about 400 gig of action camera & Skydio footage.

First installment live now :

Also, great news that Skyido ships here. I need more propellers!
    bigborett and B1 like this.
  17. bigborett

Oddometer:
    Stop crashing.
  18. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Here's the second installment from our Flinders Ranges Moto Adventure - a beautiful section of ridgeline/saddle on the way to the summit of Mount Gill, at Warraweena Conservation Park : https://www.warraweena.com/index.htm

This track is private access only, and bookings can be made with Stoney Steiner : (08) 8675 2770 or by email : [email protected]

I've ridden this track a few times now, and it is a highlight of the Flinders Ranges. This section filmed by the Skydio is very open and scenic, and on the day the winds were very high. I was happy to see the Skydio coped quite well considering.

I've got complete action camera footage of this ride, and I'll publish an action camera view in a separate video.

River Rat, Hoots, pete40 and 5 others like this.
  19. bigborett

Oddometer:

Great views Tori, not sure about the dance moves. :rilla
    ToriMish likes this.
  20. AusGoFar

AusGoFar get back on that horse

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. Such a great area for riding
    B1 and ToriMish like this.