Tori's Trails

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ToriMish, Jul 25, 2019.

1. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yeah, really nice. Makes me want to go riding. The view from my back yard ain't bad though.
    IMG20210724165046.jpg
    ToriMish, theMISSIONARY and Ron50 like this.
  2. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Warraweena's a fantastic place.. quite a history.

I like that its a bit forgotten relative to the other locations in the Flinders. Away from the maddening crowds.
    ToriMish likes this.
  3. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Welcome to part 3 of the Flinders Ranges Moto Adventure!

This time, by action camera [​IMG]

This is a Vlog of the day Lisa and I spent on the Skytrek trail on the Willow Springs Station.

This is one of the best trails I have ever ridden in Australia, 80km of superb terrain and points of interest, as well as unparalleled views of the Flinders Ranges.

Stay tuned for more adventures!

Cheers & happy trails,

Dee Cee, Suncoaster, Cruz and 7 others like this.
  4. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Second last day in the Flinders, on the return half of Mount Gill, this happens. Lisa and the CRF emerged relatively unscathed.

Lisa had a probable light concussion, but managed to complete the ride back to camp (carefully). She really felt it the next day, and is having a few weeks off the bike as she lets her sore body recover.

For those interested, I used DAIN to interpolate the 30FPS raw footage into 240FPS for the purposes of effective slow motion. DAIN is a CUDA based AI Neural Net app that essentially predicts and creates frames within frames, and can be run multiple times to absurdly high frame rate results from base footage. Computed on a RTX 3090 + AMD Ryzen 12 core.

5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Ouch...! :eek7
    ToriMish likes this.
  6. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Not to sound like a clever dick, but the rear seemed to kick up pretty viciously a couple of times before the lay down, maybe this unsettled things..? Oh and ouch too.
    ToriMish likes this.
  7. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't like that .....

Good to hear not too much damage

Funny how these incidents only worry us after the event though :lol3
    ToriMish likes this.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch, I hope she recovers soon

ToriMish likes this.
  9. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ooof -- looks like it was the front deflecting off that grass mound while the rear had only just touched down.
    pete40 likes this.
  10. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Pretty much yep
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I'm picking that Lisa is pretty light (@ 60 - 65 kg mark with all the kit on?)... that combined with stock spring rate (maybe slight on the stiff side?) and touch too fast rebound (the kicks that ktmgeoff mention) may have contribute to the "unsettled" feeling.

Combine that with the slight miscue off the first rock mound that put her in the goolies... the front wheel clipped (what looks like) a stray rock/piece of log... and down we go, like a sack of spuds.

Glad the reports are she came out relatively unscathed.

I spend a lot of time watching video's we shoot (profile and trailing shot angles on tripod) at the mx training camps, where we use superimposed tracer lines to track the bike going through whoops/rollers and big landings - to aid in suspension set up/dialling in.

Is the CRF Lisa's regular ride... has she had the bike long... has she done any suspension work to suit her weight/riding style?

My spontaneous ten second diagnosis (and FWIW - it is only that), but from that very brief clip; I would suggest maybe that Lisa get someone to look at her clickers and valving settings, maybe spring rate and tailor a setting to find a "sweet spot" that works for her.

Hitting that rocky patch on touch down was just an unfortunate miscue... but the rear end did look a tad "kicky" in those few seconds prior to the lawn dart.
    ToriMish likes this.
  12. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    troy - have a good look at Tori's previous vid where she follows Lisa along a trail for a bit.

Looks fairly 'kicky' to me - but I know squat. Would be interested in a more informed opinion.

Glad she's all good.
    ToriMish likes this.
  13. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Yep the spring rate is a little stiff. (She'd wound up some preload for a recent 5 day desert ride to compensate for gear, and she hadn't set it back). I'm not sure if she's set the sag, but her ride weight with gear is about 70-75. Could use a bit more rebound damping, but she's always messing with clickers so I just leave her to it.

However what really got her was the grass tree laying on the side of the track, it deflected the front severely. Hitting an obstacle like that - even with ideal suspension settings - would probably result in a similar crash. Video flattens everything out.
  14. ktmgeoff

Oddometer:
    Getting work done on suspension is worth every cent IMHO. Several of us got Frank Pons down to Hobart to sort our bikes out and the transformation was night and day. My first run on my 520 on forestry roads I thought bloody hell, I can feel every pebble, but as soon as I upped the speed on rougher trails it was a different bike. Might be harder to get a happy medium in Lisa's situation when you ride easy smooth trails, sandy stuff and then places like the Flinders
    ToriMish likes this.
  15. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Yep, I saw that "grass tree". Only really good riders and lucky bastards get away with those!
    ToriMish likes this.
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Steering dampers - suspension for your steering.

They make a big difference.
  17. ToriMish

Oddometer:
    Yep, she's got one of these on her 450 already.
    GodSilla likes this.
  18. ktmgeoff

Oddometer:
    I thought @troy safari carpente did a big exposé on dampers or is it dampners, no, on second thoughts it was bar risers, no hang on, it may have been about long Swedish winters ? Anyway he'll be along shortly to set me straight, probably with a War and Peace length post....:rofl
  19. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    :photog You forgot - ABS, airhawk seat cushion/bum bucket touring saddles (for short arses) and placebo electronic rider aids - in your snowflake rant summary Geoff... :D... but other than that, you pretty much nailed it. :lol3

Ummm... for what it's worth... a steering damper won't help you "miss" the big pile of trackside goolies or the grasstree stump ( :*sip* the cause of the prang)... but they will help control the rate of deflection and return to center oscillation of the front wheel, if you do snot one... so I guess there's that. :1drink

I've said it once, possibly a hundred times... steering dampers work - yes they do... as do a lot of performance enhancing accessories and products that often fall often into the "farkle" category, those big ticket items like suspension mods, bling triple clamps, bar risers etc. The thing is though, that the marketing of so much of this stuff has reached such a level that sees a good percentage (I would say often anywhere up to, or more than 50%) of riders buying into the advertising mumbo jumbo, and forking out big bucks for stuff that - by and large - gives them a placebo confidence boost - at best - as much as any real performance or handling improvement.

How many steering dampers I've seen (often on off road/enduro kitted rally style bikes) that have the dial/clickers turned all the way "off" (not offering any steering damping effect what so ever...) but the rider in question still swears it is the best investment he ever made. :fpalm

So to, the big dollar suspension kit mods... often the biggest performance enhancement is the large die-cut FMF, Pro-Circuit, RACE-TECH, Teknik or WP decal slapped on the fork-leg for all and sundry to see. :augie

My motto - in this order;

1. Gain riding experience, learn to read the terrain.
    2. Increase speed in conjunction with correct suspension sag and set up for rider skill/weight.
    3. Improved rider technique through training and experience, generates greater speed/increased skill set.
    4. Invest in improved suspension - spring rate, valving and set-up - as skill/speed and experience increases.
    5. Invest in steering damper for when the rate of knots exceeds that having been achieved through steps 1 thru 4.

:thumb But still watch out for rocks and tree roots - even if you have a steering damper...

NOTE: Panadol is a good pain damper if steps 1 thru 5 turn to shit. :lol3

I hope Lisa is on the mend and out ripping up the next video Adventure with Tori soon... Covid permitting. :clap
  20. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    You have to love the placebo effect. I'm very entertained at the frequent obsession with tyre choice, suspension mods, fork braces and anodised butt plugs... but no one seems to get obsessed with learning how to ride better.