Torn - 16 vs 17 MTS S or Enduro?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by sgnden, Jun 13, 2017.

1. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been a long time occasional lurker and am now ready to add another bike.

I'll be riding street/canyons/open road with occasional fire road/gravel/dirt. No hard core off-roading these days. I like some spirited riding but don't need to kill it in every corner.

I've got a well modified HD Road King I use for 2-up touring but could see this bike replacing it. The GS's are nice and well-sorted but bored the heck out of me.

I am torn...

The Multistrada S w/ tour pack and sport pack or Enduro is the first decision. I am 6'1" 275 lbs so the big Enduro doesn't worry me though I do feel like it may be overkill given what I'll be doing.

Then 2016 vs 2017? I have read a lot about the only change to 2017 being airbox update that eliminates a mid-range "flat spot" in the power curve. No idea how noticeable this is in a 160hp bike like this.

The dealer is VERY VERY motivated to move 2016 in either of these bikes and will sell to me at "cost" (TBD) but most important is choosing right.

I do not want to hassle with serious repairs but don't mind a bit of wrenching.

Any advice re those two bikes and years? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks so much!
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I haven't heard if the airbox update actually does as you suggest. My 2016 S had the flat spot, but the full system Termignoni exhaust took care of that. The flat spot was definitely more noticeable if you were easy on the throttle, and could be very annoying at times.

Is your dealer motivated enough to through in the exhaust at cost ? :wink:

I went through much of the same process, trying to decide between the S, the Enduro, or even the Pikes Peak. I finally decided on the S, as it fit more of the reasons I wanted the bike in the first place. It was a tough call though.
  3. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the dealer is going to sell at "cost"...so I assume it's the invoice price but not any hold backs or incentives to blow out 2016's. I have a list of options and full Termi is top of the list.

I need to ride the Enduro for a while to be sure but that could end-up as my "touring" bike. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I really liked the larger gas tank that the Enduro has, as well as more room. I kept reading in the press launch that the Enduro was less sporty than the standard version, but MUCH better for "off-road". I knew I wasn't going to be doing much trail work - I have the Husaberg for that.

I ended up buying a +1 Corbin for the S I decided on, and I've been pretty happy with the choice.
  5. Superadv

Superadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2016 Enduro already has the updated airbox... fwiw.
  6. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, SuperAdv.

I wonder why dealers seem to be hung with so much Enduro inventory? There seem to be a lot of highly motivated dealers on these bikes.

I've been looking and can't find anywhere that I trust to simply say what the dealer "cost" is. That's the price at which they say they'll sell it to me. Any source you guys know-of so I can easily gauge the BS level, if any?

Have fun...

7. Superadv

Oddometer:
    I think for the majority of the riders in this segment that the Enduro is just too tall for most to consider purchasing one. Clearly it is a top notch bike but the size scares most away. Also, people are blinded by the BMW logo with the GS, not realizing the MTSE is superior is almost all aspects. My 2 cents, fwiw.

oalvarez likes this.
  8. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Superadv, again!
    I can find something I like about almost every motorcycle (almost), this is I initially for pure fun and something very different than my HD Roadie. Hoping that 2-up it is a nice ride for my s/o but that "S" is beautiful though I wonder if my idea that I'll be truly using it to carve canyons as I once did is a reality and the MTSE would be more comfortable and certainly versatile...with a solid measure of sport feel (all things considered).

9. Superadv

Oddometer:
    This may help with your decision.

10. flyG200

flyG200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my 2016 MTS Enduro last month.
    Dealer claimed to have lost money on the bike ( under $18k ) but is making up for it with the many $1000s in add ons.
    Awaiting some accessories and some seem back ordered and hoping to coordinate 1st service with the install of Protection Kit, High Navigator, tank bag and such.
    Put on the Bark Busters today. Givi adaptor plate for Outback Trekker on back order from Twisted, they say a month.
    Gently breaking it in and at 6'1" w/o shoes seems comparable sizewise to the GSA I had previously.
    Shopping for a GPS among other things. Experimenting w/the numerous riding modes & starting a list for the dealer to help me with. Thought there would be tire pressure given on the TFT but guessing not now.
    Looking forward to some trips soon, happy trails.
  11. sgnden

sgnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! I just pulled the trigger today. Paid $1K more than you but with the free money out there, I really didn't care that much about grinding them on price more. I am happy with this bike for sure!!

oalvarez and Superadv like this.