Torn between Honda PCX 150 vs Honda Forza 300

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Guillaume, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Guillaume

Guillaume Pothole Dodger

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I'm an ex-motorcyclist, living downtown Montreal, a city with a shitload of constructions and lot of trafic. I don't ride much and only commute in the city so I chose to ride a scooter for economy and ease of parking. So my usage would be 90-95% city riding.

I did my research, looked into Zuma 125, Honda SH150i, Vespas, etc. Don't want a 50cc, too small and I may need an extra push with a passenger some times. Since my budget is around 2000$, I'm looking for a used bike and settled between a Honda 2013 PCX 150 and a 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS. Don't care much about looks, I just want a commuter with injection and good fuel economy.

PCX : The PCX is nimble, very economical at the pump and super light. I like how it rides. Price is negociable to 1800$ CAD (1350 USD) with 8 000 KM (5000 Miles). https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1439727147&requestSource=b

Forza : The Forza is heavier, drink a tiny bit more and is way bigger so less nimble and harder to park it tight spaces. But it can go on freeways easier and has ABS brakes. Security is very important for me and ABS brakes is a nice touch. Price is negociable to 2100$ CAD (1600 USD) with 11 000 KM (7000 Miles). The only thing is when I tried it, I saw some dry oil on the engine case and made me think maybe it has a blown gasket? Or the old man who sells it just spilled some when he did the oil chance (he does his own maintenance). Dunno if I should be worried or not, being a Honda. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1439727147&requestSource=b

Really torn between the 2. Tried both bikes, they both ride well and are clean. Honestly if money was not object I'd get a new Vespa Sprint 150 with ABS or new Piaggio Liberty 150 with ABS but don't wanna shed that much money for the moment.

Anyone has experience with one or both bikes in the condition I plan to use them? I'd really appreciate some advice here because I can't wait to not ride a bicycle to get to work.

Thanks for your advice :)
    damasovi and Smaug1 like this.
  2. Smaug1

Smaug1 '19 Kawasaki Versys 1000, '15 SMax

Oddometer:
    Hi Guillaume. I'm a scooterist and motorcyclist, and I commute on my scooter in the suburbs here in the Chicago metro area.

I had a 2015 PCX150. My only complaints were that it had a rough ride over bad pavement and also it was working VERY hard to go 60 mph, which I need to do on occasion. In construction, that rough ride will be hard on your back, but still feel good compared to that same pavement on a bicycle. ;)

I've also had bigger scooters: a Burgman 400 and two Silver Wing 650s. The bigger scooters have a better ride, naturally, and are more versatile. They have double the under-seat storage area and will comfortably carry a passenger. They also are fine to take outside of town for the occasional tour. (why limit yourself to commuting?) They are just as good around town, and unless the parking is VERY tight, they're just as easy to park, too.

So unless fuel cost is really a big issue, I'd go for the Forza.

Honda did have a recall on the Forza at one point, so if this year was part of the recall, make sure it was done. Re. the oil, ask the old man. It's possible it's leaking because he lost the aluminum washer from the drain plug in the oil when he changed it. Or it's possible he's just not the kind of guy to wipe the bottom of the engine clean. You should "feel him out" on the issue.

I would go for the Forza, if I had a good feeling that it's not a lemon. 300 class scooters are a LOT more versatile than 150 class. The only reason I have a 150 class is that it is a compliment to my motorcycle. For longer, higher speed trips, I take the motorcycle. Around town, nothing beats a scooter. If I could only have one bike, it would probably be maxi-scoter scooter: Yamaha XMax 300, Suzuki Burgman 400 or Honda Silver Wing 600.

Edit: One more thing: The ABS on the Forza could save you an accident. There tends to be gravel around in construction zones, and one ABS actuation pays for itself. ;)
    damasovi likes this.
  3. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a PCX125 then traded it on a PCX150. Then traded the 150 on a Forza 300

The Forza was light years ahead of both PCX’s
    miss the Forza I don’t miss the PCX’s one bit
    damasovi and HandKPhil like this.
  4. Kmart

Kmart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd opt for the Forza, especially if you plan to ride with an occasional passenger. It comes with a nice top box too which is very handy.
    HandKPhil likes this.
  5. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    We have a pair of 2013 PCXes - versatile and fun scoots. I checked out a 2014 Forza and thought the riding position was more cramped on the Forza than the PCX. For full disclosure, I also have a Vespa GTS 250 that is more comfortable and a higher top speed than the PCX... so I certainly understand the appeal of more CCs. If you are looking for nimble, the PCX would be my choice over the Forza. If you will be spending much time riding two-up, go for the Forza. We find that our PCXes (riding solo) top out around 67-68 mph, but are not pleasant over 60 mph; the Forza would be the choice if top end speed matters. For moving around in a parking lot, garage, or driveway, the PCX is SO easy and lightweight - an easy choice over the Forza if that matters.

Both scoots have their attributes. Sounds like an attractive price on either. Good luck with the decision.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    William, I am going to go the other route and suggest a small 250-300 cc motorcycle or even a 125 cc - the CBR125R comes to mind. Unless you really want a trunk. There should be a lot of used small bikes to choose from (naked, sport, or dual sport). Resale might be easier than a scooter in your part of the world. Why a small motorcycle? I have a friend from Montreal who's told me the roads are quite bad, riding is seasonal, and your budget.

If you truly are set on a scooter, my vote goes to the PCX since you say your riding will be 90-95% city riding. I've had 2 PCX, a 2013 and a 2016. I'd probably choose the 2013 over the 2016 for nostalgic reasons. A 1st gen PCX seems to be a tad faster than a 2nd gen (we are talking 2-3 mph here). I've never owned a Forza 300 but I've had the chance to ride one a few times. I will agree with CaptnJim that the riding position on the PCX is roomier. More power on the Forza but much more weight than a PCX. Again, if you are riding in the city, less weight is better.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you got.
    damasovi likes this.
  7. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    90-95% city, go with the PCX
    wanna bECO and MrVvrroomm like this.
  8. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For stop and go heavy city traffic I'd stick with a scooter and probably go with the PCX unless you need that freeway ability and frequently ride two up. I will add that I'm a classic scooter person so the Forza just leaves me cold so take what I saw with a grain of salt.
  10. Scooter Addict

Scooter Addict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come buy my PCX150 for sale in Joplin,MO.
    The ad is on the fleamarket! If you come from Montreal to get it, I’ll give you a great deal!
    ScooterAddict (Scott)
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I had a GROM in San Antonio and in San Francisco. I had both a GROM and a PCX when I was living in San Antonio. I would ride the PCX and go: this is it! It's the best thing ever. Then I'd get on the GROM and I thought, no, this is it. I love it! I could never really choose between the 2. The GROM was just about perfect in the hills of San Francisco. The gearbox and the engine brake really helped riding those hills. Then I moved to Houston and I bought a VanVan. I live between Midtown and Downtown in Houston. I really like it. It can't be anymore city riding than this. I sold the VanVan and considered getting yet another PCX but the Monkey stole my heart. Nothing wrong with working a gearbox in the city. I actually think it gives just a bit more control overall. I think a GROM/ Monkey/ Z125 is perfect for the inner city.
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    As A forza owner I say op for it . I like the pcx but out east you ve got hwy were everyone doing 130 KPH plus no matter what the posted speed is. On the pcx you ll find yourself going 110 kph max and 80 to 90 kph on hills . Also consider this one https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-mi...cc/1437462633?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    2008 aprilla 200 cc and also Piaggion evo 500 cc https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-mi...07/1439516951?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    also sh150i for less then any of them so far https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-po...10/1440716129?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    Also consider the honda helix theres one for 900 bucks. I ve seen pictures of helix with 2 time the mileage of this one. Considering the helix stay in production for 25 years you ll not lack for parts. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-mi...ix/1419291337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    The helix parts dont cost an arm and leg . Lots of after market support . Drive belts are 30 bucks vs 258 .00 bucks for a forza . Then again the forza drive belt doesn't have to be changed till around 28 000 K.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    I've had both and would go with the Forza also. While the PCX is lighter and nimbler the comfort and power of the 300 is better. I do both city and highway riding and the Forza is great for both environments. Plus you have ABS for the safety factor.

:1drink
    HandKPhil likes this.
  14. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own a '14 Forza, non-ABS, and I love it. I've owned a like-new '87 Honda Elite 150 that was quite nice, but the Forza is in a whole other, higher class. More power and acceleration, much better handling and brakes, and much more capable two-up, and on the freeway. The Forza is not especially ungainly, or difficult to park. It actually handles like a dream as far as I'm concerned. The rear shocks can be a little choppy over bad pavement, but that's the case with all scooters that I've ridden, including my new Burgman 650. Some of the early '14 Forzas (with a very low serial number) had some oil seepage issues around the water pump, I believe. A little Google Fu should net you some more info on that. I'd avoid a really low numbered bike, or one that had signs of oil leakage below the water pump.
  15. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did a quick check on the recalls for the 2014 Forza. There was one for a fuel pump issue ( a rubber-like component was found to swell up on a pump component in testing), one for the rear brakes on both ABS and non-ABS models (seems that a rear brake line fitting was possibly not tightened correctly on less than two-thousand '14 Forzas, resulting in low rear brake pressure) No recall on the water pump oil leak issue that I could find, but I'd just inspect that area, clean that area really well with degreaser, and keep an eye out for leaks. You should be able to call a dealership and provide them with the Forza's VIN number, to see if the recall work has been completed.
  16. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you lane split where you live? If so, then a scooter makes good economic sense. The PCX would be the best choice. That 150 is a very economical engine. It is the sweet spot between speed and power. The Smax, as some have eluded to is a bit faster, but you sacrifice 20MPG for that extra speed, that will not be used in a city. (I can never get going 75 MPH in the city, and believe I have tried :wink: ) The PCX regularly gets in the high 90's and low 100's in MPG.

The forza is a great scoot, but it will not be fun parking, and manipulating it is a tight area. Even though scoots carry their weight low and manageable, I would still opt for the PCX. And besides DBC already said it.
  17. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    If you get the fuel pump recall done TELL THE DAM SHOP NOT TO LUBE THE FUEL PUMP GASKET . They did that to mine and it caused a leak. I found out about because one guy had to have his bike in the shop 4 times after getting the pump done and the reason it leak was the dame gasket .
  18. 87112

87112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you doing some kind of delivery service 90-95% of the time in city riding? For that much in town riding I prefer a flat floor, much easier to hop on and off vs a humped scooter.
  19. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    for 90-95% city living in downtown Montreal try to find an Elite110 if you can, flat floor board, biggest trunk in its class (as large as maxi scoots), small enough to park at the bicycle rack. That is the ultimate urban assault vehicle. For when you need to get out into the country it does fine too. And if you really need to haul a lot of stuff or large stuff rent a car/truck.
  20. fullmetalscooter

Oddometer:
    elite 110 is also a good ride