1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Toronto to Nova Scotia via the U.S.

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Fin, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Hello all

I'm planning a trip this Sept. to watch the TT race in Sydney, Nova Scotia, and want to travel south of Lake Ontario from Toronto through New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine entering into New Brunswick via Calais and St. Stephen. If any of you out there have tracks that you would like to share of some of your faves please post them so I can start dreaming and annoying my wife.

Thanks

Fin
  2. r1150gsa_rider

r1150gsa_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your crossing over at Lewiston or Niagara Falls I would suggest RT 104 East along the south of lake Ontario, but if you have more time head south a bit and cross western NY through the southern half. Much better terrain (hills) for a bike ride. Also have wine tours and the finger lakes to explore. In any case once you are to Syracuse I would suggest getting way north through Old Forge or Watertown into the Adironacks, its easy to find great back roads and lots to look at all the way to Vermont.
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Another option is go up past Kingston and cross at Thousand Islands. From there just head east. Pretty hard to find a bad road that way. If you cross at the Falls, I've found that part of NY to be quite populated compared to the northern part, so there's a lot more traffic, plus it tends to be flatter, with the above noted exception.

Cromag Campout is usually the weekend after labour day, if it fits your plans, it really is worth the effort. It's near Lebanon, NH.
  4. r1150gsa_rider

r1150gsa_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drif has a good point the west half of NY is not as good for riding as the Adirondack area.
  5. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    You both have good points. I've been down through Gananoque into Waterdown before on my through to Lake Placid and Mt. Washington and that's why I'm thinking an alternative route along the south shore. But hey I do have 8 months to change my mind. :norton

Fin
  6. dshel

dshel n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's another twist, if you want a different route.

I rode to Cape Breton from Toronto - 2 summers ago. Extraordinary trip.

401 East to Kingston, ferry & barge to Cape Vincent, NY and then due East through NY, VT, NH and ME, all sideroads (2 and 3 mostly) - Tupper Lake, Lake Placid, Bangor (stop by LL Bean, worth it) lots and lots of twisties and motorcycle friendly businesses along the way.

To Bar Harbor, ME , CAT ferry to Yarmouth, NS and then to the other end of Nova Scotia.

Just watch for the RCMP in Bridgewater, got nabbed at 144...:evil , the limit is 110 there and fresh new pavement, coud not resist.

If interested, PM me and I'll send you my detailed map.

Denis in Pickering
  7. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    That is exactly what I am planning except I thought I'd hit Lewiston and the south shore because I'm from down Kingston way originally and thought a fresh drive would be fun.

I'll pm you for some route tips.

Thanks dshel

Fin
  8. Goatman

Goatman Ya baby!

Oddometer:
    Hey Fin
    what is the TT race in Sydney anyhow?
    cheers
    Goat
  9. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Hey Goatman

This cut and paste should give you the details and then some. Sounds like the race is in jeopardy right now but I'm going to keep watching. I hope it does come off because I've been watching clips from the Isle of Man races for years and it's just nuts! I'd love to see it for real.

Cheers

Fin

News Release
    March 16, 2006
    Possible Roadblock - Cape Breton Festival of Speed race in jeopardy after losing CMA sanctioning

By Debbie Gwynn
    Cape Breton Post

A world-class motorcycle race may have hit a roadblock following a news release issued by the Canadian Motorcycle Association withdrawing their sanctioning for the event.

The Cape Breton Festival of Speed, an international motor sports festival, plan to host the race tied to an event called the Isle of Man TT (Tourist Trophy). The event has taken place on the tiny island of 56,000 people, located in the Irish Sea, for the past 97 years.

We’re moving ahead, said Maureen Carroll, chair of the Cape Breton Festival of Speed, basically what we’re saying is that we have a pretty experienced board of directors and we’ve got a team of experts in place in Ontario.

“First of all, I don’t think the patient is in critical condition,” said John Graham, event’s project manager.

The insurance company didn’t close the doors on us, said Graham, there was a miscommunication with CMA and they concluded that we may not get insurance, so they held sanctioning pending further review.

“There are other sanctioning bodies but we are still working with the CMA,” said Carroll. The meeting at issue scheduled to take place Feb.17-19 was cancelled due to inclement weather and has been rescheduled for Mar.31-Apr. 2.

“The broker has agreed to a new deadline of April 15 to have the manual completed,” said Graham.

Another stumbling block to the road race being held Sept.20-24 is the road itself.

The 54 km route will run from the Louisbourg Highway as the Hornes Road turnoff, towards Sydney to Morrison Road, through Birch Grove and Port Morien along Highway 255, through Mira Gut and finally, back up Hornes Road for the home stretch.

Terry Dale, director of safety and track organization for the event has indicated 6.6 km of road improvements are needed for the race to happen.

Members of the committee have been meeting with the Department of Transportation and the Department of Tourism since August 2005.

“We are in weekly discussion (on road improvements) with both departments,” said Carroll.

“The Department of Tourism and Culture for the province has been extremely supportive.”

“It (The Festival of Speed) is a signature event for Nova Scotia and we have been published as that.”

Information and details on how plans are proceeding are available at www.cbfestivalofspeed.com