torque wrench for the 640a

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, May 9, 2005.

1. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    i'm sleepy right now... i'll write more in the morning.

click torque wrenches are not as accurate as dial ones. they do offer repeatability though. turn til she clicks, then turn no more. loads of folk click twice or more just to make sure. don't do that. you're over torquing yer fastener.

the joy of a dial is you turn til the dial says you've reached torque, and you're there. you can tighten that bolt as many times as you like to that value and it will never turn any more.

in a case like a clamp you could theoretically go back and forth forever to match the load carried by the fasteners (two or more), but really there's no point in making them identical.. not no point.. no real benefit. go back and forth til they are close... no like 25% close... like 2-5%close... shit... you may get freaky lucky and get them both the same, but usually that means your clamp is bottomed and you gots other problems.

prolly the most important thing to consider when torquing a fastener is what you are doing. why are you torquing it?
    1- to place a fastener in tension.
    2- to place equal load on fasteners
    3- to place a given load on a member
    etc... etc...

most of the time what you're looking for, unless you want to place a specific tension on a fastener (stretch it inside its elastic limits) is consistency. when you tighten a bunch of 6mm or 8mm bolts... they're all the same. don't matter if its 2 inch lbs, or 20 (i just made those numbers up)... as long as they're the same.

if you want to strech a fastener, like you do on many cylinder head bolts... you want accuracy as well as repeatability... she's gotta be stretched, but you don't wanna break her... and she better be as tight as her seester, or the tighter one is gonna take all the load and do bad things.

.... nighty nighty....
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    daNke schOOn lieBschoon.

more than I asked for but just what I needed... :smooch
  3. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market and your tutorial was very helpful. Thanks.
  4. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of the clicker type, but would like a small (1/4") dial type really for the smaller bolts.
  5. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    CDI's are relatively unknown, yet professional grade. I got mine new for $60 delivered of eBay (MSRP is $160) when folks are paying twice that for a used Snap On... :evil
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    And the 0-75ft.lb 3/8" drive CDI clicker showed up. Under $50 shipped to my door from a slothly eBay seller :bluduh But it came in the case w/ instructions, traceable cert., and its brand new... :evil New price should be around $150 plus tax and/or shipping.

Now all i need is a few sockets to fit the bike's larger nuts and a 3/8 to 1/4 reduction adapter so I can run some smaller sockets on the in.lb torquer. Maybe a few extensions or a jointed adapter... :ricky

Can't imagine why anyone needs to pay double or more for Snap-On or Mac Tools :dunno

:pot
  7. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    do i need to give a rant as to why people pay double or more for something? why you have a ktm, not a klr? :evil
  8. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Maybe Meat needs a dial indicator so he can measure all his bolts for stretch?

:hide
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    recap: CDI makes very good tools, are they as good as Snap-On? :dunno Could be...

Are Snap-On 3x as good as CDI? :dunno Not likely...

http://www.aaro.ca/May 23-Aug22-02-NwsBfs.html

viva la revolucion' :pot
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    are you volunteering to supply and train me? :deal
  11. Mack

Oddometer:
    No train man, we no do trains, only airplanes...............

Meat Snap-On is crazy expenisve at times, I'll give you that. But when you use tools every day to make a living, the money seems very well spent. Most of my work is outdoors in the elements, so my line maintenance bag is full of Crapsman, not a day goes by where i don't cuss at them. Snap-on, Mac, even S&K rock by comparison.
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    know anything about CDI? (subsidiary of Snap-On - see above)

ps - what airplanes? you with Boeing?
  13. Mack

Oddometer:
  14. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    the comparison of cdi and snap on as being the same product with different costs, when they are distributed by the same company does not hold water.... i've never heard of cdi and am taking word that they are indeed distributed by snap-on. my simplistic brain asks only one question... why would snap-on sell two products at drastically different prices if one was not different from the other.

i will continue to buy and use snap-on for (almost) all my tools because i know they are the best (or on par with the best). time is not chap, and if i ever break a head bolt because a cheap torque wrench isn't calibrated properly... the expensive one isn't that expensive any more. :dunno loadedagain economics.

my 2 cents.. others results could vary.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    void where prohibited, not available in all states, use as directed, faint of heart need not apply...

I follow you, but for us mere mortals, i.e. weekend wrenchers, brands like CDI, are probably great. For me Snap-On would be more like a status symbol when I can get what I need for a third of the price. I doubt that their specs would be a fib however and 3% is 3% - pretty good eh?
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    New Zeland to Spain!?! Damn that is a good MC trip! :D

Sorry, didn't see nuthin bout aeroplanes. Just diggin cause my bro works for Boeing.
  17. Mack

Oddometer:
    There's a coma in there, ya knuckle head! :wink: (Well there's one now.)

Dues pay'n pensionless A&P @ AA & general slacker (Line mechanic for AA at AUS)

I hope your brother is hanging in there.
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Unless the FAA decides that planes can stay loud or get louder he will always have a job; he designs retrofits for the current fleet to meet the ever more conservative FAA noise regulations.

glad to hear there is someone sharp down there wrenching the planes that keep me airborne, well not that i fly that much...
  19. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for Loaded (or any other Torque wrench genius):

If you have a clicker TW, and you are fastening say a side case with 8 or 10 bolts, what is the best way to make sure you're not over torqueing? I would assume that if you don't go back and re-click after getting around to all the bolts that you'll have under-torqued bolts in some places, but you mentioned not to do it twice on the same bolt?

Help a brother of less knowledge out please!
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    good question!

:lurk