Torque Wrenches

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TedyDarwin, Oct 29, 2018.

1. TedyDarwin

TedyDarwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for torque wrenches. I have been researching them a bit and found most of them are for automotive and have very high torque specs. So I found some made for bicycles that look quite good. They are from Park Tools and look to have 90% of the torque specs for the repairs/adjustments I would make at home.
    These are what I found:
    Park Tools TW 5.2 (2-14 nm)
    https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TW...F8&qid=1540825986&sr=8-4&keywords=park+torque
    Park Tools TW 6 (10-60 nm)
    https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Ra...F8&qid=1540826914&sr=8-9&keywords=park+torque

I want to buy good quality torque wrenches because I know torque specs are important. Does anyone use any that they would recommend that fall within the torque specs of the water-cooled R1200GS?
  2. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You need two. Footpounds and inch pounds.
  3. wakdady

wakdady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    get a snap on 3/8 digital torque wrench. goes from 5ft/lbs to 100. will display, NM, ft/lb, in/lb.
    atech2fr100b is the model I have and it's wonderful.
  4. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You really want 3... 1/4 (in-lb), 3/8 and 1/2 drive
  5. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even when I got paid to work on Bimmers, I didn't have that much money sunk into a torque wrench; special tools, sure, but not everyday items. Were I to step up to that plate, FACOM would be my brand of choice, and I'd still save a couple of hundred bucks.

There's nothing wrong with the Park Tools brand that OP inquired about, though the addition of their blue paint is pretty expensive. Honestly, were it me who was building a tool set for a GS, I'd likely go with the alternative model listed on that Amazon web pg. for the 10-60nm wrench.

There's nothing magical about these wrenches. You need a good one, but it doesn't have to be great. The 3/8" drive it definitely the size to go with for one's first wrench to be applied to a motorcycle, or a car. I own a 1/4" torque set, but it's been used fewer than a dozen times on my bikes. And 1/2" torque wrenches aren't required very often on a bike, at least not outside of major component repair.
  6. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Craftsman used to have some quality ones in the three sizes you need (listed above). At Christmas each year they would go on sale. For about $150 you could get all three. I'm sure I have the craftsman part numbers somewhere but I don't know that they exist in that iteration anymore. I know that Sears sold off the Craftsman name.
  7. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The range (roughly) between 15Nm and 100Nm would cover almost all your needs, there are usually 3/8” wrenches for that. Smaller bolts are not load bearing and not so critical, and there’s only a couple larger ones that you normally do not touch.
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    CDI and Snap-On are the same company if you're looking to compare prices.
  9. GSBruce

GSBruce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the little Park Tools torque wrench you reference and a 1/4” and a 3/8” Proxxon. I have a Harbor Freight 1/2” I only use on lugnuts. I need a quality 1/2”, I’ll probably get a Proxxon.
  10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    I have a Tekton that I really like for big things.
    appliance57 likes this.
  11. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    My question: where do you go to get your torque wrenched calibrated? After years of use I wonder if mine are out of spec.
  12. tzracer

tzracer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the past I took my Snap-On to the repair center not far from my house. Calibrated while I waited. Not sure if they still do that.

Otherwise I have to locate a Snap-On distributor and give it to them. Last time I checked, it was no charge.

There are places that will calibrate them (if they can be), try the phone book.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    You need up to 120 and down to 2 (spokes)
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    The 3/8 Harbor Freight is guaranteed for life.
  15. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    All torque wrenches are only accurate mid-range of their rated spec. You'll want a 3/8" drive in in-lbs and a 1/2" drive in ft-lbs. If accuracy is important (it should be) one size does not fit all.
  16. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    For my non-USA bikes (BMWs and Yamaha), I wanted something that would read directly in Nm, not some conversion from ft-ib. So I have Proxxons: 1/4" (5-30 Nm) and 3/8" (20-100 Nm) drive. Use them both. A lot. Just remember to loosen the knob at the end all the way when you're not using them.

doc
    ultane likes this.
  19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Harbor Freight click type torque wrenches work remarkably well. They are accurate and consistent. Number of reviews and studies on them showing this, not just me babbling it. On sale, you can buy all three sizes (1/2, 3/8, 1/4) for less than most stores charge for one.
    worwig likes this.
  20. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a cheap beam type. If the needle points to zero unloaded, it is calibrated.
    We used to use 'clicker' types in our factory. Those were often out of calibration when checked. I suspect due to them being used 24/7, so they were never 'stored' unloaded.