Total Control Training is Pennsylvania's new official state program manager

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by OfirMX, Dec 6, 2017.

1. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear changes are coming..what ever that means..
  2. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too include classes in Ohio some how linked to PaMSP??
  3. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are not filled..classes are so called 'Ghost' Classes..I called these sites..appear to be filled but no such class..
  5. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That seems to be the same issue they had last year. There are a bunch of locations for future classes but not that many currect classes.

I wonder when they will fore go charging folks for the background and dmv fees to become an instructor.
  6. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    It's all over...
    MSP_Termination-Letter_01.jpg
  7. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you think this is because the coronavirus will basically cancel all classes this year?
  8. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    No there were issues with TCTI meeting the contract requirements, it has been ongoing. As for classes there will not be any in PA this year as was in information sent out to all the state Coaches. The rest of the Country is playing it by ear. We are starting classes again next weekend here in Florida.
  9. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that sucks. I did want to take his class but there never seemed to be any available when I had time or the local place was booked up 2 seconds after the class was opened for enrollment.
  10. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    That is a very sad read. It also does not surprise me in the least.

I do work for PA (multiple agencies), and their contract letting process is a disaster. Issue an RFP, receive proposals, then cancel the RFP and reissue a modified RFP. The current work I am doing took three years of this cycle to get to. Just as in the article, vendors have to front all the money to do the work, then submit invoices, then wait, and wait, and wait for the invoices (which are submitted under an approved PO) to be paid. And most contracts with the state allow a single agency designee to cancel the contract or PO at their sole discretion. There is a standard clause in PA agency contracts that stipulates they can hold payment for "up to 30 days" once an invoice is approved. Every single invoice has gotten the full 30-day hold treatment.

PA agencies are all kinds of jacked up to work with.
    iatethepeach likes this.
  12. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    So glad to have taken the ARC class last year.

RE: @Paebr332 comments concerning doing business with the State.

I used to work with a fellow who, in his previous career in the private sector, participated directly in bid submissions to the State. He explained to me that it was company policy to respond to RFPs and [more frequently] RFQs with submissions that were assembled (padded) well above what reasonable industry knowledge would suggest was a competitive quote. Said policy came about as a consequence of the State being notorious for paying legitimate invoices very slowly. His company therefore put together their quotes so that the padded payment would, when finally received, serve to offset the real costs incurred by the prolonged payment process.

Hearing this, I asked how frequently his company had the winning bid for RFP X or RFQ Y. He replied that it occurred frequently enough that income from the State constituted a material portion of their annual earnings.
  13. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Navy Chief if you read this..having seen three providers come and go here in Pa ..this reinforces my position as to why any future providers should pay the candidate to become an instructor to include all expenses incurred. I’m sure your initial instructor training was both rewarding and worthwhile..but who’s to say the next provider will ask for $$ for being retrained ( I’ll say this with tongue and cheek :) ) ‘brained washed‘ into their philosophy of training..
    outlaws justice likes this.
  14. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my previous career the employer was a contractor to Philadelphia. It regularly took 90 days past invoice due to get payment. Part of the problem was our contract- signed and approved- called for payment for services in advance. Their legal/accounting people always tried to re-write that. Nope, precedent, see all previous 10+ years contracts. Go all the way to the top of the chain we were contracting for, come all the way back down. At some point you the boss built in three months extra to account for that...
  15. Eddie Apex

Eddie Apex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a clusterf**k.

Link is to a blog with the current status and a 5-part history of PA motorcycle training. Very thoroughly reported and well written. Thanks to the author, whether it's you or someone else.
    I'm not in PA, but I know generally how training programs work. My initial impression from recent posts in this thread was that Total Control Training had somehow screwed up. That was totally wrong. From the history, I see that they were in an impossible position: A program that had been well run by MSF for 15 years was destroyed after 5 years in the hands of another administrator, so TCT basically had to build a program from scratch in two months and tried heroically to do it.

Best wishes to Pennsylvania motorcyclists. I hope you can get the training program you need. Best wishes to TCT. I hope you can continue to develop your vision for motorcycle training and see it realized successfully.

Bonus lesson: Pray to <insert deity here> that you, your kids, and your grandkids never have to depend for their healthcare on a program awarded by some government bureaucrat to an administrator on the basis of low bid.
  16. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do I remember correctly that the trainings in PA were paid for entirely by the state, not the students? If that was the case I think you could argue that the business model was questionable and should be altered so the students have to cover at least part of the overall cost.
  17. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my license through the motorcycle safety program in pa 18 years ago. I then took the advanced rider course 2 times between then and about 5 years ago. My wife took the new TCT basic rider course in pa in the fall of last year to get her MC license. She said it was great.

I took the ARC by TCT last year and thought it was great and head and shoulders above the ARC course I had previously taken. I loved it so much I was planning on signing up for a TCT ARC2 track day this year, 5 hours away in Pittsburgh because I thought the training was so good.

I think it's a shame that they canceled the TCT contract as I think it's a better offering than anything else they're going to bring in.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  18. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Free for PA residents. It is fully funded by motorcycle license fees. The reason the state does if for free is so no one avoids taking the training because they cannot afford to pay for it.
  19. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhat understandable. I'm in CA where our registration fees are ridiculously high, and we are now charging $350 for two full days of training (was ? $258 for many years.... cheaper for teens, then and now) and we have a steady supply of students.... and our cost of living here is ridiculously high as well. Of course our riding season is longer. Seems like some sort of middle ground should be attainable.
  20. Jim Moore

Jim Moore "You ain't black!"

Oddometer:
    Those articles kinda sound like they were written by a Total Control cheerleader to me.
    outlaws justice likes this.