Total Control Training is Pennsylvania's new official state program manager

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by OfirMX, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Tall Man

Tall Man Well...the game is afoot.

Oddometer:
    I didn't address it because I'm not addressing it.

"Tiered licensing" in this country is at best an academic discussion for the foreseeable future. Our messy, dangerous freedom remains intact for the time being.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  2. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Free to Pa residents..be prepared for a long but fun day.

https://www.totalcontroltraining.net/riding-courses/advanced-riding-clinic
    AZbiker and Luckycharms like this.
  3. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see all that, I was just wondering what actually happened at the ARC.
    As I'm assuming that it's more slow speed parking lot riding as opposed to knee/elbow down street antics.

I was approached last year about possibly becoming a BRC instructor, then covid happened.
    And I wasn't sure at the time if I could fit the instructor training and instructing courses into my work/home schedule though.

I'm curious as there's always something new to learn.
  4. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's nothing like MSF's ARC..more like a prep course to (race) track riding..
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    I used to be all in favor of personal liberties..then I realized how many people REALLY ARE too stupid to tie their shoes unaided.
  6. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once they get the class dates up on the site, I'm Pretty sure I'm getting signed up to go. (ARC) (Total Control)
    I'm pretty close to where they say they're going to have the class.
    You think I should take the 390 Duke with the commuter rubber on it or the Super duke with stickier rubber for this course?
  7. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Ze, Zim, Zhey

Oddometer:
    I'd take the smaller bike if it's done in a parking lot. Consider the bigger bike if it's done at a track.
  8. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I never took the PA version of Total Control ARC, but I did take it in MD in maybe 2012.
    It was in a parking lot, but the speed and technique shown was way beyond the older PA MSF BRC or IRC classes.
    Very good class and it increased my cornering comfort level a lot. I felt like I got more out of the exercises than everyone else in the class b/c I was on a small bike (wr250r) that I could push to (and in my case beyond) the limit.
    In my class the last exercise was a figure eight at increasing speed and lean angles. I asked to go last so I could keep repeating until I lowsided. That demonstrated how the limit of traction even on DOT knobbies is way beyond anything I would need on the street.
    AZbiker likes this.
  9. Tall Man

Tall Man Well...the game is afoot.

Oddometer:
    It's 50% classroom, 50% range time, mixed in the AM and PM.

Varying practical exercises include effectively judging the distance to an obstacle in order to refine (maximize) braking effect and avoidance maneuvering, actually seeing what's ahead of you and just not in front of you, etc.

The ARC course is more cerebral than the online course description might suggest. Come prepared to think.

I completed the course on a DR650 with 50/50 Shinkos. Another fellow scraped the exhaust on his Harley all afternoon. Bring whatever you want.
    AZbiker likes this.
  10. OfirMX

OfirMX Sierras' Gatekeeper

Oddometer:
    It will definitely prepare you for track riding but the TC ARC was designed to make street riders more proficient and safe on public roads.

Bring the bike that challenges you the most, not the one you already feel very comfortable riding. Size is irrelevant.
    You will learn how to tame the beast.

That's correct. The ARC will challenge your mental and physical riding skills alike.
    AZbiker and Tall Man like this.
  11. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a bit like gymkhana. It looks like all of the dates are taken. I just show up and hope for an opening.
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    If every rider did that while riding on the road, there would be a lot less motorcycle accidents.
  13. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First half of class is great. Lewis and Brian are doing a great job.
  15. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which is based on Idaho STAR's program, which is based on Oregon's Team Oregon program...
    Team Oreogn does have the ART taught on a kart track... with the director currently working hard to offer it in two locations on a regular basis.

We have a braking clinic that does braking / swerving at 45mph; I'm trying to get someone to take seriously the notion of that as a pre-req for the full-on braking clinic we used to do for cops that ran 'em up to 70mph for braking and swerving. May happen... Learning not to be afraid of the brakes can be valuable.
    Andyvh1959 likes this.
  16. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    +100 on confidence to brake hard when deemed necessary.
    There have been a few times a YELLOW light has caught me needing to STOP, right now!
    And being confident that good hard braking would be the right thing, over entering the intersection
    right at a signal change has probably saved me a ticket or worse.
  17. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Ze, Zim, Zhey

Oddometer:
    Coming up to a stale green, I'm always thinking to myself ,"Stop, stop, stop, Go!" I do my best to make a decision early so I'm not surprised.
    Andyvh1959 likes this.
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Interesting, especially from a safety/liability point of view. Now, I am ALL for getting students to stretch their capabilities, but mostly to get them past their fears of what they can't do. I teach the Street Skills class on the small track at Road America. I have many students that, like their road riding, will only go a bit further on a closed course training program, and they'll still perform only slightly more than normal. I too do what I expect to be high effort braking in a straight line from 45 mph, down to 1st gear, and then immediately into a quick lane change gate to gate. Most riders still brake early and gradually, in prep for the transition.
    The exercise before is just high effort straight line braking, get them to develop consistent, controlled, no trauma high effort braking.

Perhaps I need to move the braking start gate closer to the transition with each round, get them comfortable with higher effort braking into a transition that keeps getting closer.

I even have an exercise where all they have to do is 35 to 45 mph down the long front straight and alternately press-press hard enough to get the bike to move quickly in the lane. Many riders only do it a little bit, little real assertive effort into the hand grips. I have done it hard and quick enough while demoing the exercise to get my R1200RT to hop the front tire. I had an "experienced" rider this past May, in this press-press exercise, who only moved his upper body side to side from the hips up thinking he was causing the bike to move, which it barely performed. I again explained "its only in your hands, NO upper body movement, just Press-Press with intent. He still was puzzled. I feel certain that in a curve when he needs to MAKE the bike move/lean as he wants it, I doubt he could do it. His wife in the class, who had the MSF BRC the year before had no idea what I referred too, for the press action. They are taking the class again later this summer, so I'll get them to fully understand the press-press action if they get nothing else from the class.
  19. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Ze, Zim, Zhey

Oddometer:
    I've seen lots of ridercoaches who have no idea how to do it. At my last update we ran the whole class through some of the exercises. I watched them do Ex 6 thinking, "Man, you guys suck at this." Two or three out of teh twelve were deliberately pressing on the grips. Funny and pathetic.
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all finished on a high note and learned some things. It got hot for a little while but then a breeze picked up.
    OfirMX likes this.