Total Control Training is Pennsylvania's new official state program manager

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by OfirMX, Dec 6, 2017.

1. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well at least you got an answer
  2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and it appears that they were completely unprepared to win the contract and start offering training. Feels like they were shocked to win and are scrambling to figure out how to get it moving now.
  3. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    sounds great, but do the people of PA have control?
  4. Johnny X

Johnny X Giant Monkey

Oddometer:
    Yo Navy Chief, they are.

I have no doubt that they are doing their best. I suspect they may have bit off a bit more than they can chew but the men/women involved really are hitting it hard to get the job done. I sincerely hope they get there and have an awesome year. If not I hope they have a better 2019.

They call us "Instructors" now, not Rider Coaches.. but the people involved have not changed. They still want the same thing and still have the same goals.

Check my location. I know the people involved locally, they are good men and doing everything they can. Anything more you have to ask me in person. It ain't hard. Small towns and all.
    Rockred and OfirMX like this.
  5. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, I am sure they are doing all they can to get the system up and running at all locations; not a small or simple task by any measure.

Good to see another member in the local area, we should hook up for breakfast and a ride sometime.
    OfirMX likes this.
  6. Johnny X

Johnny X Giant Monkey

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah man. I'll PM you. FYI I really am easy to spot. Tall fella on a KTM 390.
    OfirMX likes this.
  7. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found the old system wasn't the best for finding courses locally (Ephrata) and went to Leesport. The coach said it is just as good to show up as a standby. We had half of the class not show so there was plenty of room but 1 of the coaches had to leave due to low number of students.

Last time I checked there weren't any local classes. I wish they made the website easier to look up classes.
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone take the class yet?
  9. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just finished the first half of the TC BRC Instructor class held in Monroeville. It's been ~30 years since I took the MSF (Houston, TX) and I haven't done any real training since. I was a rec.moto person for awhile, lived in the bay area, so I got a lot of "street training" from friends who had more miles or raced, but that isn't worth much. We only did the classroom training, no range time (it's below freezing right now), but damn did I learn a lot of stuff in four days.

My work includes being Adjunct Faculty at Carnegie Mellon from time to time (interaction design, physical computing) and the TC teaching style is the exact *opposite* of how I teach. At one point I thought I was going to fail a class on teaching when I'm often teaching for a living. I lean towards the Socratic / Empiricist method, that is, I encourage my students to ask questions instead of memorizing facts. Surprise, surprise, people who are learning to ride need more facts and less reflection on what it means to be a person who wants to ride a motorcycle. :-)

Look forward to taking the IRC and ARC classes and getting the range element of the class finished so I can start some instructin'.
    iatethepeach likes this.
  10. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Now that the Season is over for 2018, and the number of riders trained from 2017 to 2018 went from about 20,000 to just over 8,000 I would like to know how many of those Free ARC classes were offered to the public (Not the ones offered to potential Instructors)
  11. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know any real numbers, but last year my wife wanted to take the BRC and could never get a slot. I tried the IRC and also couldn't get a slot. However, we are looking at "near Pittsburgh" and maybe there's a local bias.
  12. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    I have talked to others, your experience is not unique almost everyplace...Not as many instructors, not as many training sites and of course not as much training being offered.
  13. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I gave up last year trying to enroll in the ARC. I took a look again this week, and still seems knackered.
  14. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife had the exact same problem and we live north of Philadelphia so the issue is statewide. It took FOREVER for us to find a class that was close by and available. And we signed her up the first day it was put up on the website. The next day it was sold out.
  15. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to commit to teaching as many BRC classes as possible and try to waitlist an IRC. ("Waitlist": show up for a class that is full and wait for someone registered for the class to not appear.)
    ryder1 likes this.
  16. outlaws justice

Oddometer:
    One thing the PA Instructors need to consider is that under the new program they are no longer employee's they are "Sub Contractors" And as such are no longer covered by the insurance of the program or the site. You need to make sure your personal insurance covers you in case someone gets hurt of sues the program because you will be listed and sued as well...
  17. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I asked about this and we are part-time employees or tradesmen (our choice), and as long as we are using the TCTI bikes we are covered by their insurance. If we're using our own bikes to teach an advanced class we may or may not be covered by our own insurance, TCTI offers an additional rider we can purchase if we want.

Edit: I have USAA as my personal insurance company; have driven for Lyft; and have two LLCs, one of which manufactures furniture and things that could (in theory) injure someone; so I am very picky/fussy about insurance issues.

To paraphrase my business lawyer: "Look, you could make custom pillows and sell them on Etsy. No problem, right? Not until someone uses one to suffocate and murder someone else and you get named in a damages suit."
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are posting them as they are added. They did this last year. My wife wanted to take the new BRC and all the classes would be full, then one day several more would be listed and be filled within a day or two.

My advice: If you want to take a class in PA shift-reload that page every day in the morning or maybe as late as lunch. My wife and I did that last week and found a window where classes in May had just been announced but were only half-full.
  20. TotalControl

TotalControl n00b

Oddometer:
    That is not even remotely true. Most PAMSP Instructors are employees but some have made the choice to be Professional Tradesmen, which are 1099s. In either case, both are completely covered by both liability insurance and workers comp. You should really do your research before putting up lies about the program. Given your history, that's not so surprising.