Total Control Training is Pennsylvania's new official state program manager

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by OfirMX, Dec 6, 2017.

1. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    Honda Gnomes? Must be that new elusive unicorn bike. I am familiar with the Honda Grom, the motorcycle equivalent of a tiny house.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Clean up in Aisle 46.

Oddometer:
    Here's a Gnom..., er, Grom with a stretch and a pipe. I saw it when I was visiting Bilbo in the Shire. Er, when I went to a monthly biker breakfast.

[​IMG]
  3. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly my point..going from a Grom as a training bike to get one’s m/c endorsement ..to one of these..just doesn’t make sense ..

Attached Files:

4. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took MSF on a 125cc Rebel in the late 80s, that certainly didn't prepare me for riding a GSX-R.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    During 1982 I bought a Honda CB125. I rode around some cones. I rode through a hidden stop sign. I got my license. I had never ridden a motorcycle before. Not one person has ever asked in 37 years if I am capable of riding. I rode a 300cc scooter and a 1800cc Goldwing today all on the very old license.
  6. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Again my point...if Pa. and California..both currently (supposedly) managed by Total Control..was serious they should look ..no demand a tiered licensing structure ..similar to the European licensing system.. As I’ve said..to much $$ influence as well as old MSF management style under the guise as Total Control won’t change in Pa. as well as California..Going around cones in a parking lot just doesn’t cut it on how to survive the mean streets. These State legislatures should demand a current motorcycle training effectiveness study...
  7. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the majority of us are looking for more classes to tune up our skills.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  8. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...and many other countries, including Japan. During break time I explain tiered licensing and there are two responses. The first is from new riders who think it's a good idea to practice on smaller bikes then work your way up. The second response is from "cruiser and bagger" riders who find it insulting that they can't go buy a > 1L displacement bike after getting their license. Why, they've been riding on learner permits for almost two decades on these bikes!
    Luckycharms likes this.
  9. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
  11. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure of your question..?
  12. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Any suggestions on how to train the masses such as "Joe Weekender on his dresser" and "cruiser and bagger" riders?

How would tiered licensing work if there are few or no training courses available for the licensees?

The whole subject interests me since I am the object of your recurring theme. Riding on and off since the early 80's (and not on barhoppers), taking MSF courses (currently a PA resident) and trying to improve on my riding skill and I still suck on my current ride, a Road King Police.

No, I don't drink and ride, I don't do drugs of any sort and I'm geared up for the ride. I simply never get any better at handling my bike. This wouldn't change if I were riding a Beemer or a Wing or pedaling my Cannondale; I chose my current bike based upon ergonomics and riding comfort for my bad back.

Yep, I've got the "Ride like a Pro" video. It helps.

Without one on one help (since practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect) and access to a training bike that is ready and willing to be dropped in training how would anyone on those big "cruisers and baggers" improve their skills?
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    How many people actually used a Zero to learn to ride at a school?
  14. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Let's Go, Brandon!

Oddometer:
    Buy an old SV-650 (middling-powered naked bike with straight-up seating position). Start doing track days.
    outlaws justice likes this.
  15. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    find some better rider(s) willing to help you improve....
  16. jerictownsend

jerictownsend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw a new rider, no experience, learner's permit only, earn her license on a Grom. It was the only bike she could put both feet down where "down" was the front part of her feet.
  17. aa3jy

aa3jy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..and the real question should have been asked... What will this newly minted m/c endorsed individual, that got his or her training on a Grom,be their next bike..?
  18. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Define "us". In my experience, most riders in the USA have little or no interest in tuning up their skills. Those with the least interest are often those most in need.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  19. Tall Man

Tall Man Clean up in Aisle 46.

Oddometer:
    You're a Rider Coach, so I don't want to come across as too argumentative, but:
    Having recently completed an Advanced Riding Clinic, I know how quickly the spaces fill up when registration opens up online (a reality acknowledged by the two instructors in the classroom that day). Almost every [modern] niche of motorcycle was evident in our class of 10 or so students. Everyone brought their A game on the course, and we needed it. The coaches were very good, and held us to an appropriate standard.

I agree with you completely, concerning the "most in need" comment. I see some awful roadcraft from other folks when I'm out and about. I'll leave it to anyone reading this post to envision the group(s) to whom I am referring.
  20. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Us meaning motorcyclists that want training. I agree that there are many riders in need of training. I like to go to training about every 5 years to make sure I haven't picked up too many bad habits.