Total Solar Eclipse August 21 2017, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by DavidM1, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    If you do make it, expect a wait. The blue-hairs come out in droves, and when I was there, I got there at what I thought was early (5:30) and still waited nearly 1.5 hours. but everyone said it would be worth the wait, and it was. Big time. I would almost go all the way over there just for the catfish. a RTE with an overnight, just to let it all settle.
  2. Paper

Paper Things are looking great!

Oddometer:
    Well, if you ever go wander up north, I strongly suggest Brown Fisheries Fish House in Paradise, MI.. Just down the road from the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum.. Both are excellent stops, and the fact that they're 15 minutes apart is even better.. Also only an hour from crossing into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie..

https://www.facebook.com/Brown-Fisheries-Fish-House-342822755804654/ 3 pc Whitefish basket... My mouth is watering..
    Deckyon likes this.
  3. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Will I ever get the chance to see a total eclipse again? I'm starting to lay the groundwork with the war department. Who knows, maybe she'll want to come along. It would give me motivation to finish fixing the pop-up camper. I'm a definite maybe Cow Boy Brad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  5. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    There is another going right over south Illinois in April 2024. More Details here: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2024Apr08Tgoogle.html

Seeing how it goes in august, I would probably trip down for 2024 also.
    DavidM1 likes this.
  6. Paper

Oddometer:
    Hell, I don't know what I'm doing for dinner, let alone 2024..
    Mark4931 likes this.
  7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  8. Paper

Oddometer:
    @Deckyon Thanks again for the suggestion about Catfish Kitchen!!
    Had a nice meal there last weekend. Leftover hushpuppies were taken outside and pieces were broken up for the geese and bluegills, until the HUGE catfish showed up and gulped down pretty much everything that was dropped in the water.. We'll be back!!
    Deckyon likes this.
  9. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Glad I could help. I loved that place when I was there, even with the wait. I need to plan a trip back, just for that restaurant.
    Paper likes this.
  10. Paper

Oddometer:
    You can call ahead and reserve a table. Or so the sign on the dock says.. Our wait was only 45 minutes.. :thumb
  11. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I didnt know any of that last time I was there. Which was over Labor Day Weekend, which contributed immensely to the wait times.
    Paper likes this.
  12. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Less than 2 months away. I have failed to start a new thread so I will continue to hijack this one. It has been the craziest 6 months of my life.

Anyway, 2 groups have confirmed a visit to our place, The Pharm. We have room for everyone so if you do not have eclipse plans or your other options did not work out, drop me a PM. 3 miles south of Steeleville, IL 62288

As of now we are planning a fish fry for Sunday night and going to my friends party about 20 minutes away. He said the more the merrier. Music, bbq big bash kind of thing. I may elect to drive back home to experience totality in my own yard even though his place will have the same 2:30. The whole eclipse lasts a couple hours from start to finish. Lots of room in the garage if there is rain in the forecast. We will make it all work out, have had many inmates stay at our place including one last week.

I have other tents and a lot of gear if you forget something or if stuff breaks. Also I will make breakfast burritos Monday morning. Don't bring a grill, burner, coffee stuff, etc. I have all of that.

We have a dog, 2 little kids and a very accommodating wife that welcomes strangers to our place.
    siyeh and Paper like this.
  13. gumpdaddy

gumpdaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brad, put me down on the list when you get one started.
  15. inpayne

inpayne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being only over in evv I deff want to check this out.
  16. Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadu 1 Less Car

Oddometer:
    Bookmarking this thread for later. :thumbup
  17. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have room for one more tent, I could come down for this!
  18. jtclark13

jtclark13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    May have to check this out when we're down there for the LBL 200. We usually go a few days early to play a few rounds of golf, always looking for a good dinner afterwards.
  19. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Wont be doing an overnight, but driving down to Bowling Green or close and will be bringing my telescope and filter. Just driving in and out to see the eclipse. I havent actually sorted a place to land, but I dont think I will be headed all the way to LBL.
  20. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    If you are referring to my place, yes we have room. Send me a pm with personal info, real name, where you are coming from and when you plan to arrive.