1. Braapingtothefuture

Braapingtothefuture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

MY self and a buddy are going to be doing a loop around some of Wyoming. Want to ride as much dirt/rocks as possible. We will be riding 690's.

Starting in Laramie. Then through the snowies to Elk Mountian-Rawlins-Pindale-Dubois-Owl Creek-Casper-Laramie.

Should be a good loop. The question I have is what is a good way from Rawlins to Pinedale? I see lots of option via the google maps, but am wondering if there is a lot of private lands that we may run into.

Has anyone ridin over Blondie Pass road? That looks pretty good.

I can upload the look in the next day or so if anyone is interested.

Thanks
  2. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an awesome trip.
    Check the CDT - Continental Divide Trail - for the Rawlings to Pinedale stretch. Be aware of your fuel range on that stretch! I always seem to go thru Farson or Eden just to fuel up.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  3. Braapingtothefuture

Oddometer:
    Ah yes! That will do.

Thanks
  4. 805AT

805AT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am moving to Cody soon, I’ll be watching this thread.
  5. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    Awesome section, as reference attached are my record tracks from last sept going from pinedale-->atlantic city-->rawlins on my 701. Mileage was 219, could have been longer but due to intense t-storms detoured to pavement the last 20 or so miles into Rawlins. Used a 2gal collapsible from giant loop and filled in boulder (last gas) southeast of pinedale. Have fun, loved this section.

DW_01225.jpg
    DW_01223.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Hopefully, you also got a burger in Boulder. :tb
  7. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    4 of us are heading out mid aug tour of Wyoming, really looking forward to it.
  8. LMSB

LMSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode over Blondie Pass last June. It was a great route.
  9. Braapingtothefuture

Oddometer:
    Just got back. Did the loop in 2.5 days. Total mileage was 855.8, and just rolled over 20k on my 690!!!

The first day from Laramie to Pinedale was about 330miles. We took a path through the Red Desert along Cyclone Ridge. That was nice, but it is a long ways from Rawlins to Pinedale. The Red desert is Loooong and kinda boring. Still pretty though. Rattle Snake Canyon is AWESOME, and Snowies are always great.

The second day we went from Pinedale to Casper. Union Pass was fun, and Blondie was better. Riding through the reservation to Blondie Pass was maybe the best part. I have lived/grown up in Wyoming and I have never seen so many Antelope. It was crazy. Also the largest herd of wild horses. I could not get a pick fast enough as they ran in front of us across the road. My buddy and I just stopped and were amazed at what just happened. The dirt roads from Thermopolis to Casper are terrific. You get every kind of dirt. Grey dirt, grey dirt with little pebbles, grey dirt with medium-sized pebbles, loose round rocks that are like riding on ice and are grey, red dirt, red sandy dirt, yellow dirt, yellow sandy dirt, brown mud, cow mud, red mud, yellow mud, and some ruts. Many OMG moments coming into corners realizing you are caring to much speed to make the turn, but somehow you do and then get on the gas coming out of the corning to get your speed/traction back up just to do it again in the next turn. Its like skiing powder. The last 60miles we were chased by a big thunderstorm to Casper. Total mileage was 367.8

The Third day from Casper to Laramie was a short 158 miles. but we had to get home by midday. Casper Moutain switchbacks are a blast on a 690.

We had an almost flat rear tire with a screw stuck in my buddies bike and his shifter fell off. Other than that everything was peachy.

Next year we will skip the red desert and do a big loop up north and west and the route will be made up a later date or during the ride.

There are a lot of curvy roads in Wyoming. I did not take many pics of those because they were/are fun to ride. So took a lot of photos of straight roads.

Attached Files:

10. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    sounds like an awesome ride, and no issues except for that slow leak and darn screw.

Do you by chance have a actual route file you can share?
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice-- I have always wanted to check out the roads between Thermop & Casper.
  12. Braapingtothefuture

Oddometer:
    .gpx files are attached.

Let me know if you have questions.

Attached Files:

The Walrus likes this.
  13. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Long timer

Oddometer:
    This.
  14. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    this looks really good, thanks for sharing
  15. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    Planned my own 2019 tour of wyoming loop starting Sept 4th that starts and ends in Gillette. GPS tracks attached. Riding my 701 setup for off-road touring.

Again thanks braapingtothefuture, included a section of your day 2 track.

***updated with my actual track logs v3, turned out to be a 4 day loop
    2019 tour of wyoming.JPG

Attached Files:

The Walrus likes this.
  16. Braapingtothefuture

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty fun. If you have the time I would look to ride over the Big Horns. look at roads 17>278>276>26 and head into Sheridan. That could be lots of fun with good elevation. From Sheridan ride to Gillette.

I attached a route I took a couple of years ago. from Gillette to Sheridan. lots of fun and fast. I attempted to cut through an area but ran into private land, so there was no way through. I got stuck in a deep ravine with, lots of mud...It was not really mud because the mud smelled like cow shit...it was all cow shit. Took a little while to get out.

Attached Files:

17. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    good suggestion adding the big horns into Sheridan...gpx file updated to v2 above with track. I think it will be worth the extra day...Looks like there may be a few technical bits in the big horns, so that will be fun. also cleaned up some of the bunny trails :muutt, and added waypoint for one of my favorite Rib and Chops eats in sheridan...
  18. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Braapingtothefuture,
    Tried Blondie pass today, failed.
    No GPS, just paper maps with road names that mean absolutely nothing out in the middle of no where! Wandered around, ran into some locals that pointed me in the right direction. Pretty sure I made it most of the way ( could see into the valley to the North ) up Blondie Pass, well beyond the switchbacks, but, started to run low on fuel and nerve, so turned around. Some great country. Like you said, antelope galore and wild herds of horses. Still, a great day and Thanks! for letting me know about this route.
    Tomorrow I’m headed to Meteetse then West to Pitchfork.
  19. dvwalker

dvwalker Working to ride

Oddometer:
    just returned as well from 4 day loop. I didn't go as far west as blondie pass but know what you mean by middle of no where. Updated gpx file in my post above (v3) with actual track logs if interested.

Best parts were northern section of black hills, loop into medicine bow and wow big horns didn't disappoint. The big horn section was a good technical workout, 80+ mile rocky rutty 2 track. Big storm moved afternoon of day 3 (Sept 6th), dropped from 90+ to mid 60's in an hour, got soaked. Ran into a couple cattle drives, handful of ranchers trying to gather up their cows, and gaggle of hunters in the big horns, other than that no other humans. Didn't take too many pictures...

day 1 gillette to newcastle
    day 2 newcastle to casper
    day 3 casper to big horns (black bear)
    day 4 big horns to gillette

DW_01338.jpg
    DW_01342.jpg
    DW_01343.jpg
    DW_01345.jpg
    IMG_20190906_105223.jpg
    DW_01347.jpg

entering big horns
    DW_01351.jpg
    DW_01352.jpg
    IMG_20190908_174806.jpg
  20. Braapingtothefuture

Oddometer:

The north side of Blondie is not as rugged as the south. There is no gas till Thermopolis, so having some range on your bike is nice.

How was Meteetse to Pitchfork?