Touratech DirtDaze Adventure Rally – Pomfret Vermont, August 15-18, 2019

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by AdamChandler, Apr 4, 2019.

1. crazyal

crazyal God save the triple Supporter

Oddometer:

I found this odd myself I saw one guy with a Touratech shirt on in the parking lot but that's it?
  2. crazyal

crazyal God save the triple Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're the tiger rider on a 800 in the light green with what looked to be a 19" spoked wheel, please PM me I have questions!! Thanks
  3. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who had the stripped down BMW F850. Would be interested to see photos and the weight reduction achieved
  4. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the organizers and volunteers. The Ridge Route was the favorite in my group of four from NJ. Kudos to the young worker named Garrin with a tractor. He towed five vehicles out of the flooded camping area on Sunday morning. A suggestion for next year would be to choose a campsite that is not prone to flooding. This year's site selection cost several participants extra money for towing.

20190818_082244.jpg 20190818_082129.jpg 20190818_081202.jpg
    amartin4410 and AdamChandler like this.
  5. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Touratech CEO was there on Friday night and addressed this by saying something to the effect of wanting to focus on the riders/riding and not on selling stuff.

The cynical part of me interpreted this to mean they didn't want to ship the booth from Seattle.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not in the habit of defending big corporations but Mosko, Jesse Luggage, BMS Seats and other companies have the same approach. It costs serious coin to send out inventory and then if it doesn't sell, shipping it back. Most companies will take orders at the event and offer an event pricing (Mosko included). The Jesse Luggage guys told me at the MOA Rally that most riders show up with panniers already so selling panniers to people at a rally where people drive 10 hours to attend isn't a viable business model when you factor in freight shipping each way.

Some tire companies take pre-orders in advance then bring those to the event to install for you (at rallies other than dirt daze). This is more economical because the product is pre-sold so they can justify the price.
  7. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to him, we were camped next door. Those were Woodys wheels on a Roadie. He also made some changes to the suspension but can't tell you exactly what. Hopefully he'll chime in but I'm not sure he's a member here.
  8. schrod

schrod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with any of that, and I'm sure it's hugely expensive to exhibit at these events, but Touratech didn't take any of the alternative approaches you mentioned either. If they're shelling out the big money to be the title sponsor, you'd think they'd have a booth even if it just had a handful of new products they wanted to show off. They kept talking up their new pannier system and gave a few away, why not have a booth to show them off?

I'm sure they had sound business reasons for what they did, I just meant I wasn't convinced those reasons are the ones we were given. As I said, I tend to be cynical, and I'm not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt based on how they treated Mosko.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. munimula

munimula Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam, I concur with Whatnoise 100% - you led an epic tour of VT and NH. The pace, the scenery, roads/terrain, all exceptional. Your support crew, Liz et al was top notch as well. And the lunch was the best food served up all weekend. The NH tour was a pleasure start to finish. Will be signed up if you offer it again in 2020.

As an aside, sorry you had to witness my inadvertent - dct induced - burn out. As mentioned it did straighten out my handle bars. See you down the road for sure.
    canadian XR and AdamChandler like this.
  10. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only crime committed on my ride is I wasn't video recording the Epic-DCT-Launch of 2019. Maybe we can stage a re-do next year?
    danruss and munimula like this.
  11. canadian XR

canadian XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    munimula likes this.
  12. canadian XR

canadian XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great job Adam....

Super ten form canada
    AdamChandler and munimula like this.
  13. canadian XR