Touratech Distribution by BMW in Oz?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by lowrpm, Mar 8, 2006.

1. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    What's going on? Been busting a gut to get a decent tankbag for the GSA. Tried going thru motorcycleadventure.com.au for a VP45 but Rick tells me they can't get stuff from TT anymore. Apparently someone else is sole importer and they're going to distribute thru BMW dealerships!!:eek1

Not surprisingly, BMW dealers have no details, no prices, no lists, no idea yet. SNAFU:deal

Anyone know who the new importer is? Anyone have any other ideas on where to get a tankbag like the VP45 or the Wunderlich (which the manufacturer doesn't have in stock!)

Maybe is should just stickytape my shit to the tank. . .

Low
  2. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my F650GS, I went with the BMW tankbag and added the Tank Panniers from Aerostitch. Works out the same as a V45.
  3. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Sure - I could do that, but the BMW bag starts at $525 without the sidebags. By the time I get finished I'll be up for heaps, whereas the other two come with the sidebags for under $400. . . so that's a last resort (which I may be forced into I guess).:(:
  4. Leon H

Leon H BMW Prima Donna

Oddometer:
    I have an SW Motech tankbag and I am happy with that, there is now an SW Motech and Bags Connection distributor in Australia, whose email address I can't remember right this minute, but I will post it as soon as I find it. The distributor is a mate of mine, and I actually have some of his unsold enduro tankbags in my house at the moment. Actually he visits this forum under the name of rookiller71, perhaps yo could send him a PM about it.

As for Touratech I bought some stuff off them direct from Germany a couple of months ago, and it was fine. In the past I have got bags over from SW Motech, and have filled the bags with other stuff my mates ordered, to greatly reduce the cost of postage per item. It's an idea worth considering of shipping in luggage from overseas.

Cheers

Leon
  5. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Thanks Leon. I'll see if I can find him. Don't suppose those bags have the tank panniers do they?:ear
  6. Leon H

Leon H BMW Prima Donna

Oddometer:
    Not the bags I use, but Markus was telling me there is a new you beaut bigger version available now. The best thing about them is the way they attach to the tank, by a little clip thing on the fuel cap lid. Looks very discreet when no bag is on and is easy to mount. But I imagine the mount would be a little more susbatnial for the larger versions if side panniers are attached.

Cheers

Leon
  7. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. I've PM'd him and sent an email thru to info@noRRus.com.au, which must be his import business, so I'll wait and see. Thanks again.

Low
  8. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    My mistake, Mate. I had no idea the BMW luggage was that valuable Down Under. That tankbag is about $170 here, another $120 thereabouts for the Aerostitch panniers. By the way, the 'Stitch panniers are very cool, and well built.
  9. Burren Rider

Burren Rider Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aqualine Industries (the company that makes long range Safari Tanks) is now distributing Touratech products in Oz. Their phone number is (03) 5729 5556 if that helps.
  10. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    Outstanding guys! Thanks - I didn't see the AMCN ad, so I'll give 'em a call.

Hey, bakernks: we get ripped off by everyone here compared to you guys. The mark-up policy seems to be, think of a price and double it, then add your chosen percentage!!! But if I can't get a decent bag here soon I'll have no option but the Beemer bag anyway.

CXheers all!

Lowy
  11. upsidedowngreg

upsidedowngreg Gravel Surfer

Oddometer:
    There is a guy here in Canberra who is supplying Touratech stuff.

http://www.eastcoastbms.com.au

Guy is Mick Owen. Former BM dealer mechanic here in Canberra and Sydney. Also does Hepco&Becker, wunderlich etc

Also services BMs if you are in this area.
  12. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    I had been looking for a specific size tank bag for my 12GS and could not find anything that I liked. And if I did it was a bloody magnetic one. I ended up ordering one from the US from a mob in Texas. Even with customs and import tax it will still be under $200. Gotta be happy with that. We really have crappy online motorcycle shopping in this country.
    Cheers
    Craig
  13. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    heres their email info@touratech.com.au Tony is the person I've been dealing with.

I am in the process of ordering some stuff through them. I went to order direct from touratech in Gemany and they forward my email to RV aqualine / Touratech.com.au

I also am ordering some sw motec parts from Markus at http://www.norrus.net/
    markus-normann@web.de
    info@noRRus.net

Markus is also supplying me with parts from Sommer Ktm as he was able to get them at below retail, (he was over there at the time) he is working on becoming an Aust. dist. for them too.

I haven't received any parts off either of them yet, (only ordered in the last week) but they have both been very quick to reply to emails and organise getting the parts sent.
  14. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last word I had was that BMW Aust. Was going to be the distributor fot TT, with a bit of luck we will be able to play one off against the other:rofl
  15. rookiller

rookiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the never-never of Germany soon Australia
    No mitch not direct BMW, I had a chat to Herbert Schwarz (the founder and owner of Touratech) last week here in germany and they have an agreement with rv aqualine, they will go for the tt stuff now in oz with a combination of tony kirby ex side track editor. I cant find a way with him to different point of views. Thats the first hand infos i can give you.

nice day to oz
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    i'd hope then for touratech's sake that they get far better service out of the aussie agents that they do out of their american agents. The usa agents is notoriously poor for service let alone supply but touratech germany refuse to ship directly to america.
  17. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    I just got of the phone with Tony at the Australian Touratech importer, which is Aquiline Industries as reported. I put my order in for the VP45 tankbag and rain cover and the guy was really helpful. Went out of his way to do the right thing once he heard how much trouble I've had. He even phoned Germany to make sure they had one in stock etc.:clap
    Total price including shipping is $343.70 for the bag and $28.30 for the cover, delivered to my door. That makes it nearly $200 less than the BMW bag which is smaller, less versatile, has no side bags and can barely fit a folded map (let alone one you can use).

So far, my vote is for the new importer as long as they don't go with exclusive retail distribution through BMW, which is what I heard. I guess I shoulda asked Tony.

He's also sending me their full brochure by snailmail and a 40-page pricelist by email. So far so good - I'll report back when the stuff arrives.

Cheers,

Low
  18. Hunsta

Oddometer:
    Seems if ya do enough buggerising around you end up with what ya want:clap
    Cheers
    Craig
  19. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    This is quite interesting, as I have just ordered gear for the Dakar from Germany and have heard nothing back ref an Aussie supplier. I originally sent an email to the UK supplier who put me onto TT Germany. TT Germany said nothing about an Aussie supplier.
    The prices' from Europe seemed quite good, Just have to see what the freight is like.:freaky
  20. Hunsta

Oddometer:
    Jesus Christ Beema 10 ponies in the shed. Man after my own heart. Used to have 8 myself at one stage. All goers. Now I just have 4. well 5 if ya count the QR50:rofl
    Cheers
    Craig