Touratech Distribution by BMW in Oz?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by lowrpm, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Gwilli

Gwilli "Life Behind Bars"

Oddometer:
    Check out these guys......

http://www.eastcoastbms.com.au/

Just enter the part numbers from the Touratech and Wunderlich catalogues...(There are links on the front page to both)
    Turnaround is about 2 weeks.
    I bought some goodies for my GSA no problems or bullshit :clap

Hope this is of some use to someone...:beer

Greg
  2. Blumtnman

Blumtnman Rider

Oddometer:
    [Iquote=lowrpm]What's going on? Been busting a gut to get a decent tankbag for the GSA. Tried going thru motorcycleadventure.com.au for a VP45 but Rick tells me they can't get stuff from TT anymore. Apparently someone else is sole importer and they're going to distribute thru BMW dealerships!!:eek1

Not surprisingly, BMW dealers have no details, no prices, no lists, no idea yet. SNAFU:deal

Anyone know who the new importer is? Anyone have any other ideas on where to get a tankbag like the VP45 or the Wunderlich (which the manufacturer doesn't have in stock!)

Maybe is should just stickytape my shit to the tank. . .
    If you check the latest issue of AMCN, you'll find an ad from the new importer. Phone 03 5729 5529. [email protected]
    Low[/quote]
  3. dakarboy

dakarboy ugly and stupid

Oddometer:
    i dont know what the price would be w/ shipping and the exchange rates and all that but happy trails makes a really tough product. worth looking into.
  4. Jutta

Jutta Into the remote places

Oddometer:
    Been busting a gut to get a decent tankbag for the GSA. Tried going thru motorcycleadventure.com.au for a VP45 but Rick tells me they can't get stuff from TT anymore. Apparently someone else is sole importer and they're going to distribute thru BMW dealerships!!:eek1

The Wolfman Explorer tankbag is a great piece of kit. Just as good as a Touratech apart from the mounting system, when you don't have the bag fitted the straps flap around.
  5. Ozadventurerider

Ozadventurerider Ron The Obvious!

Oddometer:
    Ocean View, Australia (only 38KM NW BrizVegas CBD)
    Not surprisingly, BMW dealers have no details, no prices, no lists, no idea yet. SNAFU:deal Anyone know who the new importer is? Anyone have any other ideas on where to get a tankbag like the VP45 or the Wunderlich (which the manufacturer doesn't have in stock!) Maybe is should just stickytape my shit to the tank. . .
    Low[/quote]

Perhaps you will have to just wait till the dust settles and the new distributor establishes a distribution network. Rick is talking to the various parties as we speak but why dont you just order it from Tourateh via the web in the meantime??

Ozadventurerider
  6. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    I went to do that, but touratech in Germany passed my details on to the new Aussie touratech distributor.

I'm not complaining, the products $$$ aren't going to be higher, probably a little less considering how expensive freight from Germany would have been for my order, and the communication from the new dist. has been fast and pain free.

I'm not associated with the new distributor at all. (although if they want to send me free stuff :lol3 )
  7. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    It seems as if someone has fucked up a good system of obtaining Touratech gear in Australia. Rick was there when you needed Australian support or if you wanted to purchase from him, If you wanted to go to the German site and get it yourself, you could.

We will all now pay for the pleasure of dealing with a sole Australian East Coast distributor.

Apparently Tony Kirby is in bed with R&V Aqualine Industries and they are now the Touratech distributor for BMW equipment and fuel tanks (Acerbis for BM's).

Munich Motorcycles has apparently been appointed the West Coast Touratech distributor. Being a regular customer with Munich, I am sure there service will be first rate. Munich Motorcycles 08 9317 3317 for those who are interested.

So who is importing equipment for all other brands, KTM etc, including camping gear, GPS mounts etc? Is Tony Kirby the Sole Australian East Coast Distributor for all products or just BMW?

I wonder if Tony Kirby would like to clear things up for us all.
    Danny (Burren rider), you seem to be able to contact him when most cannot, can you ask Tony to provide an update on the current Touratech situation. Who has what, who is selling what and what will customer support and service be like in the future.
  8. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    g'day Mick,

I think Tony / Aqualine are the importers for all TT gear, not just the BM stuff. My order (and prices) is for the non BM stuff below.

Adapter Plate RB-1 $39.88

Trail Rack Bag Enduro 2 $97.43

Magnet self-adhesive 10mm $3.89

Magnet in screw M6x16 KTM EXC $15.53

Roadbook Forms 150mm $12.16

Paper Roll 150mm $20.76

So the prices are lower and delivery (should be) quicker than going direct from Germany myself, hopefully it stays that way in the future.

I've never ordered from RIck so I cannot coment on ordering through him. I thought he only did the Bm stuff after looking at his website.

See ya,

Rhys.
  9. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Rick was able to get most things, he had a XT660 fitted out a few years ago, he got wiped out by an Emu between Urandangie and Mt Isa.

However, stock on shelves was a different story. Rick worked on the KAN BAN - Just In Time (JIT) system of logisitics.

Well, if Touratech have a new distributor, it was nice of them to tell the old one he was no longer the man. Still, I would like to see a definitive answer either in the press or first hand rather than speculation.

I hope we continue to get the Touratech goods at fair prices. As a consumer, in the end that's all we are interested in.
  10. lowrpm

lowrpm Tar Baby

Oddometer:
    On the ribbon of black, Melbourne, Australia
    Coupla things. The new importer didn't have my stuff on the shelf either, but early days hey? They were good to deal with though - very helpful, fast etc (though I won't have my stuff till next week/ week after). Price-wise, they were also good. I got no complaints since the price is lower than I was expecting,
  11. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    :huh What the??? I'm in the middle of buying some TT gear off Rick for my GSA, panniers, steering stop part etc. He's still dealing as far as i know?
  12. tonykirby

tonykirby tonykirby

Oddometer:
    Okay you blokes and blokettes, here's the real story about Touratech Australia.
    I ran a story in Sidetrack on Aqualine's BMW 1200 pods, someone posted it on the web, Touratech in Germany got hold of it and tracked down Robin Box from Aqualine. After a couple of meetings in Germany, Robin, and Herbert and Jochen from Touratech, came to an agreement on the pods and some future tanks. They also offered the Australian distributorship for Touratech to Robin, beause there has never been an offical one here, just relatively low-volume resellers. Robin turned it down, until he came back to Australia and found I had sold the magazine. A couple of phone calls later and we were the importers. And that's for the whole of Australia.
    What we're doing at the moment is getting things moving. Touratech has been caught a little on the hop by the huge sales of the 1200GS worldwide and is working flat-out to meet demand. The've just built a new factory, double the size of the original, and are tooling up even further, but it's a litle hard to get full stock at the moment. We're building it up as quick as we can, so that we can supply common lines off the shelf.
    Touratech products will also be available off the shelf from most BMW dealers, but this is still a little time off. This means that there will be unprecendented access to Touratech products in Australia, with full backing from the factory.
    We're also agents for Magellan and Garmin GPS units, GME and Icom radios, and GME EPIRBS, and will be backing this with GPS training weekends in major centres.
    I didn't want to do an advertorial here, but felt it would be better to explain exactly what is going on, to ease the speculation. At least Robin's wife Veronica is less puzzled now. She read the links here and said to Robin, "Well at least we know who's been doing all the snoring lately; Tony's in bed with us!"
    I'll try to keep an eye on these pages to answer questions, but I'm pretty busy. You can email me at [email protected]

Tony Kirby
  13. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer:
    Can you ask your mate from Aqualine to make a fuel tank for Freewinds please? :D You're in with Staintune too, and B&B so how about a muffler and bashplate? I'm sick of ringing places and being asked "WTF is a Freewind?"

(Just kidding Tony, but I can dream can't I.)
  14. tonykirby

tonykirby tonykirby

Oddometer:
    I remeber going to a Suzuki launch in a fancy hotel somewhere, and seeing the Freewind. I made an unfortunate remark to the Suzuki MD about wind and free, and people have been following my lead ever since. How many of the beast actually got sold? Is it any good?

Tony
  15. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up Tony and welcome to the Asylum

Shane

P.S. Fill in ya profile - F#*ckin nOOB :rofl
  16. BurnieM

BurnieM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just received my catalogue in the mail

It's like a paperback 'War and Peace' !
  17. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    BurnieM wrote.

Just received my catalogue in the mail

It's like a paperback 'War and Peace' !

Yeah Burnie, it's a nice little handy sized "pocket paperback" allright!...:wink: Mine makes a nice compliment to the yellow pages as a foundation for the bookshelf wall unit and video cabinet.:lol3 (when I'm not avidly scanning the pages for accessory info...:evil )

(wall unit...? okay... there's an IKEA joke opening for ya' Braaap!:D )
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer

Oddometer:
    too many words...
    no spelling mistakes.....
    precise punctuation......
    proper grammar and syntax.....
    and not enough use of the dotty things....

3/10

welcome to the back row nOOB!

:lol2
  19. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony,

Yep I've heard most of the fart jokes - Breakwind etc etc. In fact, the boys at the local bike shop call it The Fart.

No idea how many got sold, I think not many, certainly not enough for it to be offered here as long as in Europe. But I'll tell you this, they don't come up for sale often and when they do they don't last long. I had to cold canvas an owner who's email I found connected to Freewind ownership in a google search. I've also had someone offer to buy mine the same way (it's not forsale BTW).

But I digress, I am of course heavily biased, but I think it's a bloody fantastic bike. Kind of a "Jack of all trades", I haven't found anything it wont do. I rode it to the OCR at Innamincka and up the bore track (not that hard I know, but I still thought it was pretty cool). Had a brilliant 10.5hr ride through the Victorian High Country up some wicked tracks and creek crossings on the non Sidetrack ride :wink: then rode it a shade over 1000kms home up the tar the next day. It's been on the Snowy ride (about 3000km of tarmac from where I live) two up with luggage, and shown an F650CS a clean pair of heels down the Oxley.

Probably the only time it struggled was when I was riding in a pine forest and the trail stopped but I didn't. Bulldozing pine tree branches out of it's way probably wasn't what Suzuki had in mind when they bolted it together :lol3

The only things that would make it the perfect bike would be EFI and/or a larger fuel tank (hint hint). I'd keep the air/oil cooling for simplicity and faster warmup on those nasty short trips to the shops/work etc.

Cheers,
    Ashley.
  20. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    :huh
    :puke1
    Mate I payed less than 300 for my BMW tank bag at Xmas in melb.