1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Touratech upper crash bars. Booooo

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Mikezilla, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, mine has been over on both sides and had no issues with the bolts. The closest bolt is 5/8" away from the edge of the tank. I like mine.
  2. silverdog

silverdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you remove tank with bars in place?
  3. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi James, I have the Motech bars on my 990 and like them. After looking at them above, they'd get my vote. The cross bar tucked in looks stronger and cleaner, and the lower clamps look good, imho. Didn't realize the fairing attaches to the radiator on these rigs... Hope you get it back together soon.
  4. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lower bars you don't have to remove, the upper TT bars just loosen the clamps and take off the two forward bolts then spread them a little, maybe 10 mins of work.
  5. Mikezilla

Mikezilla Big in Japan

Oddometer:
    Well another argument for them not being worth the money is I have dropped the bike on both sides and more recently was hit by a car from the rear, tossing the bike over and over, destroying the windscreen and brackets, grinding the right side turn signal off and chewing up the bar ends and handguards and twisting the forks about 30 degrees to the left and breaking the turn stops and steering lock. With all this damage, nothing but a small scrape on the side tank cover, All damage was taken by the lower bars and handle. And even after all this, I was about 100 kilometers in the mountains from the destination, Picked the bike up, tossed off the broken bits, loosened the top clamps on the triple, twisted the forks back straight, re tightened and rode on. Then continued to ride on for another 5 days afterwards over 4000kms. I still like the look of them, but the only purpose I see is for attaching more luggage IMO. :evil
  6. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bars are scratched because wait for it.... they are crash bars. Lowers only have been tested I don't see the need for uppers but I guess I am living recklessly apparently :evil I am with Mikezilla on this lack of need.
  7. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    To the guys saying they will be or have put their upper crash bars on ebay. I am looking to buy a set, anybody want to sell theirs?

Only interested in the orange upper crash bars. Thanks.
  8. jdmclemore

jdmclemore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried ordering the Rumbux upper crash bars from KTMTwins.com and it'll take them 6 weeks to get them. The Hepco-Beckers look great, but I can't find anyone that sells them. May go with the SW-Motech uppers, even though that mounting looks hideous.
  9. 00dbex00

00dbex00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a guy here who sells the rumbux.
  10. rokdktr

rokdktr Adventure North

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in a set of rumbux
  11. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Rumbux upper crash bars from KTMTwins, but couldn't tell if they would fit the R model. I like the looks of them and a 6 week wait would be acceptable, but do they make an R version, or would the bars fit both the standard and the R?
  12. jdmclemore

jdmclemore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think there's any difference. They are made to mount on the KTM lower crash bars, and those are identical between standard and R.
  13. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, they fit the R, I have them on mine. You should buy them from Eric here on the forum.
  14. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

I looked at your pics earlier in this thread, they look great. Have the fitment issues been sorted out? I don't see anyone in this thread identifying as Eric, and there are a whole lot of Erics listed as inmates, but will be more than happy to give a fellow inmate my business.
  15. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Yes, the fitment issues have been sorted. I'll PM you Eric's contact info.
  16. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add my $.02 to this and say thanks to all those that have relayed their experiences. I'm looking to install a set of upper bars on my bike and have already installed the OEM lowers. I've already emailed Eric (Rumbux) to see what that process looks like. If I go that route I'll be sure to stop back and I'll leave details either way.
  17. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm looking for some sturdy upper cb's, looks like rumbux is the thing to have. Could you pls pm me Eric's e-mail? Thnx

Al
  18. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Will do.
  19. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    You know all in all I have been pleased with the TT uppers.....used them once or twice..... No matter they are and were for me always something to just take the bulk of the blunt force in get offs. The long bolts I used a dremel on. If I had to do it over I would of spent the $$ for the Rumbux as I have loved their rear crash bars....bullet proof. The Alt Rider has reached mythical status of "Coming Soon" someday........
  20. 900

900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry folks, but why clutter up your nice KTM's with these bars and similar farkles that actually cause more damage than anything else. The bike looks like a training appliance for monkeys. Why not a "body cage" with a cage for the cage as wide as the bike itself? Mad Max certified and war-proof....

Can't help myself but to think the Touratech guys are rolling on the floor laughing their a@@ off every time someone hits the "buy" button in their online-store....
    shooter_t1 likes this.