Touratech vs altrider crashbar

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tk1250gsa, Jun 10, 2019.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i know it’s been discussed already but I’m tempting to get touratech since they are much easier to install and remove for service. I have no doubt altrider stronger than touratech but I don’t think that means touratech is weak.
    Most of protection I need is in dirt when i dropping my bike. (If i fall in road , hope crash bar just save motor don’t mind replace bar and i think it should be absorb shock)
    Any thought?
  2. Dug89

Dug89 Amenmoto.com

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience with the Touratech bars but I can tell you two things, you do not need to remove the Altrider bars for routine service and the they hold the bike up when it decides to take a nap. Altrider bars, upper and lower, along with the bash plate were an easy install.
  3. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply, how much you sacrifice leaning angle? Is it substantial?
  4. Dug89

Dug89 Amenmoto.com

Oddometer:
    If you are rubbing the crashbars on a corner, you are already down. Feet and pegs will hit the pavement way before anything else.
  5. _Gir_

_Gir_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stock GSA bars not working for you? Alt Rider sells a cross piece that connects the side with the flexing bumper to the frame. Might be cheaper for your needs.
  6. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Yea was planning to go with but after my long trip include few off roading with dropping bike. Stock bar held up ok but problem is too close from head which is looks better for some people. I’m planning to put Machine art headcover but decided that is better to have crash bat that has more space between bar and head cylinder.
  7. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    +10 for altrider bars do not know what bike you have going to install on.
    Alt rider the fit is very precise that tho does not mean easy install but have held up very well.
    One side is harder to remove valve cover on cam head otherwise I do adjust valves with bars on.
  8. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply. I’m leaning to alt and do you have skid plate too? Do you think it’s worth?
  9. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Does the bike have a stock plate on bottom of bike?
    Take it off & look at how it will or will not protect bike?
    Off-road Blackdog is best otherwise find something that will protect the bike better because the bottom case of these bikes can be vulnerable to road whatever.
    I bought a tourtech used bought here, what I found at the time I believe previous to getting Alt rider bars.
    More coverage better.
  10. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Better than Alt? Was thinking to get combo alt set.
  11. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a '12 camhead that came with Altrider bars (lower only) from previous owner. I liked them - they felt sturdy. Left valve cover was a PITA to figure out how to get off without removing the bars, but with a great deal of fiddling with it I finally figured it out.

I gave them a good test twice, plus a light driveway tip over. The two moving dumps were both right side, both on dirt/grass, and both relatively slow speed (15-20mph, maybe). While there was no immediately apparent damage to the bars after either one, I came to discover that the bars did in fact crack on the right lower loop. Also, the upper M8 mount bolt head was sheared off, requiring a delicate stud extraction using a drill. Fortuantely I was able to get the stud out without damaging the threads in the hole.

Anyway, the bars were bent and damaged beyond repair - or at least any repair I felt like trying - so I read a bunch of forum threads here and decided to give the TouraTech bars a try. They mounted up easily and feel solid and well made.

I did get a chance to test them out last weekend on a trail ride dump/tip over, in which bike was all the way over onto the flat side of the saddle bags. (Honest, I don't crash as much as it sounds... :norton)

No apparent damage - haven't had a chance to go out and do a more detailed check, but after my last experience with the undetected damage to the AltRider bars I realize there's no such thing as a minor tipover on these beasts. Need to check them out after every one of them to make sure nothing's compromised.

That said, I like the Touratech bars - if nothing else, I saved about $100 on them, they offer good valve cover protection, and they don't block the valve covers at all.
    Oeths and Fosters like this.
  12. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Hum.. you’re the first person to like touratech more than alt in terms of strength. For sure Touratech is decent product but may your alt crash bar abused by previous owner? So it already accumulated all the fatigue on parts . Idk sounds like. Don’t get me wrong I like touratech design more as more lower profile and color and of course price too. You’re right. Crash bar is crash bar. I don’t expect it go forever durability. Hope it save from critical damage on major part , i don’t mind to replace something like every 2-3 years of normal usage. But definitely your opinion hold me to go Alt lol. May just go touratech lower and upper with blackdog skid plate
    dirty_t and AdamChandler like this.
  13. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the bike from an older guy who was giving up riding after having had several BMWs. My bike had only around 800 miles on it and showed no signs at all of having been on the ground, so I'm guessing that my crashes are what did the bars in.

I'm not saying I liked the TT more than Alt for strength - not really sure. All I can say is that after two seemingly mild dumps the Alt was toast, and to tell you truth that surprised me some, given how much they cost. The TT are definitely smaller diameter tubing, but I'm not clear they're less strong - might have thicker sidewalls, or be made from a sturdier alloy. Dunno. We'll see.
    Oeths likes this.
  14. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Better than Alt? Was thinking to get combo alt set.

Black dog has the best bash plate from what I have heard, I do sand so different terrain.

If the altrider bars broke without the top part I am not surprised.
    The top bars are part & parcel of how their product works.
    I was impressed how everything all fit together very precise American engineering.
    I installed both one at a time when I had cash or sold original bars.
  15. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Altrider bar on my '14 GSW bent and caused an oil leak after crushing the valve cover gasket after a zero speed drop on pavement. Couldn't believe that such a simple drop damaged the bar and caused me to have to buy a new gasket set.

After initially telling me their crash bars weren't designed for pavement (!?!?!?), I pressed the issue and then Altrider agreed to refund my money. Not impressed. Details in this thread . https://advrider.com/f/threads/bending-straightening-altrider-gsw-crash-bars.1267884/
  16. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No formal proof other than my dealer alluding to it, but I'm 99.9% sure touratech makes the factory adventure bars.

I've had a set of altriders in the garage i was eventually going to install at my first valve service but i'm getting to the point where I don't care anymore. I have the altrider skid plate.
  17. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man. Altrider bars in the garage. Too damn expensive to ship to a buyer if you were to sell them. Take an hour and put those on! Even if you don’t crash they give you a great place to put your legs on for a few minutes to stretch out:clap
  18. MrGone

MrGone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even on the adventure model? I guess i haven't looked that closely but that'd be cool. I need to get those little brackets to connect them to the factory uppers, and then I'm pretty sure i'll have to swap out my front skid plate mounts.
  19. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are really not that difficult to install. You might want to give Altrider a call. I don't think you need different skid plate brackets. ....looks like a $60 upper adapter kit is all you will need.
  20. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can add me to the list of people that have had a better experience with the Touratech bars over Altrider. When you add protection to your bike it needs to "give" in accident to absorb forces, not transmit those forces to the bikes frame and engine.
    jdub and _Gir_ like this.