Touratech vs altrider crashbar

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tk1250gsa, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touratech bars are on their way to me right now for my 1250 gsa, had them on my 1200 and they served their purpose well after a driveway fall...no damage to anything...
    I do however plan on running the MAM xhead covers along with the rallyform skid plate mimicking my 1200’s set up
  2. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home after a mixed surface 500 mile weekend. Crashed twice (highsided, technically) in ruts left by trucks, one mud-filled and the other just deep and nasty. I really need to tiptoe the GS through stuff like that, but tend to hit it at speed and it doesn't always work out. :doh

As you can see, the entire lower loop and the top edge of the upper loop made contact. MAM covers and MAM bark busters as well. There is no damage, except a nice bump on my hip -- no hip armor. Will need to re-aim the left Clearwater light as it got a taste of the action (even though it's tucked in pretty well). What the photo doesn't show were the hits absorbed by the bash plate. This is not my first test of AltRider + MAM, and not the last. The gear paid for itself many times over and quite possibly prevented stranding(s).

I will also say the D-ESA + 'Sport' suspension option on the Rally(e) is excellent. Composed like a sport bike in the twisties, hauls cargo, compliant on rocky two-track, doesn't buck you off over water bars, doesn't dive, doesn't bottom. Very wide performance envelope. Standing position very comfortable for 6'0, no risers. The downside is, with my tall dirt seat, I can't flatfoot it with a 32" inseam.

All in all, the GS is a hell of a high speed long distance mixed surface mule. I appreciate the engineering and the history every time I pull up a step-stool and throw a leg over. I hope to always have a GS in the stable, but if adverse circumstances force me to downsize to just one bike, it would be a 690/701. Playing in the dirt is just the best, and the GS just can't deliver enough dirt fun due to the weight with mere mortal skills.

VGHw9PxnRpq6dXLnW5cB4w.jpg
    jimmex and deadflagblues like this.
  3. Las

Las Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Altrider and TT are not the only bars to consider. I like and have the SW Motech bars. They offer as much protection as one would hope to get from crash bars. The finish is excellent and they don’t need to be removed for service. I’m not a fan of the bulky Altrider look and don’t think that all that weight and bulk offer any better protection than other bars. I’m also not a fan of TT’s choices for the mounting points on their bars.
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  4. SOUP

SOUP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    47537500028-700S2.jpg
    Illium Works
  5. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention @Las -- we really like hearing that our product is working out for people.

@tk1250gsa -- Check out our crash bars for the 1250GS. We had them in earlier with Twisted Throttle, sold them out, and are back in stock now. Yay! In fact, the stainless steel lowers are even on sale right at this moment. they might be something you consider as well. No matter what brand you go with, make sure you put good cylinder head covers on as well!!!

SW Motech Crash Bars BMW R1250GS

I ride a GS and have uppers and lowers on mine. Over the last 48,000 miles on and off road, my bike has been down a lot. If I took those bars and my Barkbuster covers off, you couldn't tell looking at it that it had ever seen the ground. :D

The Red Bull Team at SW Motech NA
  6. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for info. i’ll look for it. Sw motech was my initial option but kind of hard to find and browsing on swmotech website. But I have sw motech gs tank bag and like the quality and versatility. It held so well on my cross country trip. ( even I broke evo quick lock top ring during fell on off road. It was my fault. I hit the bag when I jump out bike during fell) But amazing thing is I broke one side of lock plastic but it held up well with rest of 3 point for entire trip)
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  7. Las

Las Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. StuckinOhio

StuckinOhio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @SW-MOTECH NA I'm really glad to hear the stainless bars are on sale! Will they be on sale through this weekend? I have some money coming Friday. And if they are still on sale but out of stock Friday, can I back-order them at the sale price?
    SW-MOTECH NA likes this.
  9. SW-MOTECH NA

SW-MOTECH NA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a sale through Twisted Throttle, and they will still be on sale through the weekend. But, they said once that batch is gone, they're gone--Snag it while you can!

The Red Bull Team at SW Motech NA
  10. StuckinOhio

StuckinOhio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed the one set is there till pay day!
  11. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Some of these choices are buttugly imo.
    I like the stock bars with MAM covers.
    TT makes the support bars for them if one wants to go that route.
  12. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    70948455-1CDE-4C2A-8828-E943985EE7DB.jpeg 1BE97E99-4A48-4F6A-BB90-3DBA48C634F3.jpeg Well they arrived today...
    On this evening...
    StuckinOhio likes this.
  13. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    The TT bars are great, look good, and aren’t over thought as far as engineering. Easy install and removal.
    Nice.
  14. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had TourTech crash bars on my 2006 GS and last week hit and killed deer. She hit my front right fork was spun around and then flung into the air. My right crash bar was pushed back about 1-1/2" and the left was also tweaked. I like the look of the TT crash bars but went with H&B for replacements.
  15. OntarioHawk

OntarioHawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in seeing some pics after the install. Going through the Altrider/Touratech/SW-Motech debate now. Through in the skid plate complication too. SW-Motech is looking really tempting and certainly appears like it'll work with the Altrider skid plate based on the photos I've been able to find.
  16. Fosters

Fosters Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    636D8DF6-8A2B-455A-9782-E0F615E9EF38.jpeg
    Another part of the armor puzzle installed...
    Touratech rallyform skid plate
    Massabusa and OntarioHawk like this.
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Altrider. I don't know of any other that has same diameter lower bars and they mate up with Altrider skid plate.