1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Touratech Xenon lights

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by BoxerBoy, Jul 31, 2002.

1. BoxerBoy

BoxerBoy Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd go against the general trend of "bigger is better", and will equip the trusty SilverDuck with a small xenon light, rather than Hellas or PIAAs on a bar - I find them slightly overwhelming... I actually find the original lights OK, at least compared to my R 60/5.:night I'd just like some extra "oomph" for the little nightriding that I do, so I think that it'll be fine. Has anyone had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison between the xenon and a more traditional setup?
  2. AvidRider

AvidRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    Thanx, I didn't know about these guys, has anyone tried these lights? Admittedly it looks better than the TT setup, however it,s too late... TT got the dollars (euros, actually). I happened to pass Niedereschach, so...:wave Anyway, the price seems about the same, and the geek in me thought that xenon sounds way cooler than plain ol' halogen...:borg

Just need to adress the installation, which should be after the vacation, and after I've gotten some quick disconnects for the tank, it should be just about ready for the dark, stormy fall evenings. If it turns out to be a dud I'll be back to flame TT:heh:
  4. AvidRider

Oddometer:
    The coolest looking light bar I've seen to date can be obtained from these guys here is Ottawa (sorry, I don't have a picture but they're advertised in BMW ON.

Motor Sports World: (613) 225-2892

Ask for Chris Grover.
  5. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that you wnet with the TT Xenon.
    Have been considering the same lamp.
    Let us know what the illumination pattern and brightness is like.
    I also wonder about adjustibility issues.
    Santa
  6. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Website isn't showing pics today, but I looked at pics yesterday for the same light bar:

http://www.terranova-accessories.com/

Hmmm, just loading slowly today, but it is there.
  7. Santa

Oddometer:
    I have been running a pair of hella 500 lamps on a Zan-Zabar light bar for about 35K now and the nose section of my GS is slowly coming apart.
    I noticed the two tabs that fold upwards and connect the steel support to the plastic instrument panel (just below the stock headlamps)
    are cracked and have been so for some time.
    I think that the added weight of the lamps way out on that light bar causes flexure of the nose assembly.
    You see the instrument panel/lights pod is only really held on by the turn signal stalks and the two tabs.
    Reinforecment of the area is needed for reliable lamp mounting.
    I have never had the lamps hit anything when CrAsHing so I know the damage is from the flexing.
    I'm hoping to find one lamp that would do the job for me.
    One upgrade that has made a noticable difference was the addition of the Hella Xenon/Halogen bulbs.
    About 10 bucks each. I did a comparison swapping 100 watt bulbs, ensuring that the voltage to each bulb was the same and I liked the Xenon/Halogen better. Not a real Xenon bulb, none of the 55=100 watt BS. They just work.
    Hope to hear your results soon.
    Santa
  8. sparky69

sparky69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a /rider ;
    howdy ; i have been looking for some cool / practical lights . thanks for the info. i can't believe they even have a dealer here ( in wpg ) !! done any trips west lately ?
  9. AvidRider

Oddometer:
    I'm never going to Winnipeg again:wink: Last time I was there it was snowing in June! Had to go buy a winter coat! The lights are great, I think you'll really like 'em. Good luck having a dealer so close. If you get them, let me how how they turned out.

:2beer
  10. sparky69

Oddometer:
    oh yeah ; that can happen. it's one of the things our dept. of tourism forget to mention in their media blitzes.. my wife likes to tell the story of how on may 27 of this year she slipped on the ice while getting out of her call at the local mall to make a sales call.
    otherwise ; mosquitos ! what mosquitos ? ( will let you know on the lights ).
  11. BeeCeeGS

Oddometer:
    I sold my Aeroflow to a guy from the 'Peg. He has an 1150 outfitted for Ironbutt-type rides. He probably has quite a few neat mods on his bike, so you might want to check his bike out in person before spending $$ on stuff. His name is Mike--the dealer should know (I doubt they've sold a ton of 1150) who he is, and he likes to talk bikes.

If I can find his email address, I'll send it your way.
  12. sparky69

Oddometer:
    i'me sure it's mike hutsal . i actually bought my '98 ( 75 th anniv. ) gs from mike.i think he has pia's on his scoot. how did you meet mike ?
  13. sparky69

Oddometer:
    hey santa ;
    you bring up a good point re mounting anything on something not designed / reinforced prpperly to accept an additional item. i think i'me tempted to attach them to the underside at the top of a set of crash bars. have you ridden up this way ever ?
  14. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    It is completed! I got the Touratech Xenon light on yesterday evening (OK, night). Straightforward enough, small and discreet, and with an amazingly bright, white light. I'm happy with it, as it needs no bar, and is quite small. Now I'll just need a dark, stormy night to field test it... (This should be coming on soon anyhow.)
  15. Santa

Oddometer:
    No never been to Canada although next year I have a six week sabbatical. Might go then.
    As for the Xenon,Please do fill us in on the performance of the lamp.Most importantly, how much adjustment is possible with the supplied brackets.
    Do you think you could use it in traffic without pissing too many people off? What is the light pattern like?
    Do you feel it was worth the expense?
    Thanks for the followup.
    Santa
  16. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    Yep, the fine tuning is still to be done, but it's easy enough. Look at the bracket in the picture, there are slotted screwholes to allow for adjustments in the x- and y-axis. The light is very white, as xenon light is. I checked out the prices here for PIAAs, all in all I think I made a fair deal, considering that I need no bar.

As for the projection I don't have any pictures yet, but there is one at Touratechs German website.

I appreciate the small format and minimalistic looks of the kit. The high voltage unit is sneaked away in the stearing head, above the horn, and the cabling runs under the tank. I installed the quick disconnects before, so the tank removal was a snap.
  17. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    This is the look head-on in daylight:
  18. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    Off-axis this is the look. Note that the xenon light is much whiter.
  19. BoxerBoy

Oddometer:
    Finally, the look from the side:
  20. BeeCeeGS

Oddometer:
    Mike bought my Jesse bags when I was trying to sell my 1150. Of course, I couldn't find a buyer for the 1150...so I bought a used set of system cases from Mike instead.

I know him from LDRider.