Touring Eastern Canada

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Baldy, May 7, 2002.

1. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I have 21 days this summer to go from Chicago to Newfoundland and back. :smile6 Required stops: Ottawa, Halifax, and Cape Breton (family).

What say ye about the best things to see along the way?

I was thinking: Chicago > Toronto > Ottawa > Montreal > Quebec > Northern Maine > New Brunswick > Nova Scotia > Newfoundland > Southern Maine > Boston > New Hampshire > Vermont > Upstate New York > Chicago. :jump

[​IMG]
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Gonna ride or drive, IronBaldy?
  3. Baldy

Oddometer:
    That's a <i>gooood</i> question. The trip was inspired by Ben and Anne, and my wife is coming, so there be four of us and only 1 motorcycle pilot. :arg

On the Alaska trip, we ended up with bike and Jeep, same in Baja. Most likely scenario: renting a 4x4 in Chicago for the 3 weeks, additionally renting a bike in Halifax for a few days.
  4. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any specific dates in mind ?

Seems like you will be in my backyard and playground
    (Ok, Newf is not part of it)

Sniv in Montreal
  5. AJ2

AJ2 Master of the Universe

Oddometer:
    Along the Maine coast, don't miss Acadia National Park . It's a really beautiful area if you'll have a day or two in the area.
  6. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    The Maine coast is great!! I was up there for the first time last summer. :thumb Portland is a sleepy little town. Great beer :beer

We were also in the south part (Kittery) of the state and had a blast!

I'm going further north next time up to the Bar Harbor area. :nod
  7. Baldy

Oddometer:
    First three weeks of July.
  8. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
    July 4 weekend will have all the Maine coast roads bogged down with cagers.
  9. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    You could take the "cat"(a fast catamaran ferry) from nova scotia to acadia, this is a must see area..also if you are in a cage Mt Katahdin (Baxter state park) is a must see,maybe a whitewater rafting trip down the west branch would be in order, then of course who comes to Maine and does not stop in Freeport for a visit to LL bean...Although Kittery Trading post(kittery Me.) has a better selection of firearms.. leave the vehicles in Portland and take the train to boston..And while heading into New Hampshire you want to swing into Conway and visit whitehorse press(www.whitehorsepress.com) If you need any info just give me a yell..
  10. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So many places and so little time.....

Just saw that the Montreal Jazz festival runs through to July 6, interesting to go to the free events as they block off a chunk of the downtown area. Great for people watching :evil
    I will be the 3rd layabout on the left.

The idea of the fast ferry sound good but it may be best to reserve at that time of the year.

Which brings up the question of traffic and the like, but looking at the map I see that Chicago is pretty far away from the rest of your destinations, wouldn't Buffalo be a bit more direct?

As for July 4 question we don't use the 4th we use the 1st (Canada day) and it is the time that people do start their vacations. As for Quebec province watch the roads after July 13 since it is the start of construction holiday (2 weeks) which means that a quarter of the province seems to be on the road at the same time. This also effects surrounding areas as well (Me,VT,NH,NB)

More later

Sniv
    in MTL
  11. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Hey 2twisted,

Thanks! And welcome to the assylum.