Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear this damn beer virus is going to effect a few things this year.

Will you ride? Stay in motels? Cancel your plans? Ride locally and stay at home?
    Traxx and CCitis like this.
  2. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as gas stations, parks for camping, and food is available, and we are not ordered to stay home, I see no reason not to ride.

After all, it's pretty easy to maintain appropriate social distancing while on a motorcycle.
    Boatbandit, Don03st, Traxx and 9 others like this.
  3. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am getting a strong urge to go riding to the most remote place possible. Not necessarily due to the virus, just feeling like it is time to get away from insanity.
    bromax, CrazyCooter, Traxx and 6 others like this.
  4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do your part!

Attached Files:

Traxx, zachd, glasshousebc and 4 others like this.
  5. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    Will definitively ride. I would hesitate to stay in motels though.
    Cheshire and Traxx like this.
  6. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are 100 % sure of virus free, staying in self imposed quarantine for at least 2 weeks is the civilized thing at this moment.
    Hockley Boy, Cheshire, Ibraz and 3 others like this.
  7. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell that to my boss. The office is going to a staggered half-remote work setup. Half everyone in the office one week, the other half the next week. I'm "essential personnel" it seems and am exempt. I still have to show up every day.

Doesn't stop me from riding to work!
    Traxx and Sal Pairadice like this.
  8. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motels closed in Colorado for 30 days.

I'm just hoping by June things will be semi-operational.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If gas and food supplies are stable and there are no domestic travel restrictions in place then anyone willing to throw a tent on their bike should be able to have a great trip. If the ability to stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, or cross international borders is a requirement a summer trip may be a non-starter for many. I'm fortunate to live in a huge country that I couldn't see all of what I haven't seen of it even if I had the entire summer off.
    Dracula, Traxx, RedEX and 1 other person like this.
  10. eric_the_bald

eric_the_bald Gnome

Oddometer:
    Any traveling this spring/summer I'll be camping and trying to cook for myself as much as possible. I suppose a can of disinfectant wipes would help for something like a KOA Kabin mattress.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I keep making plans and they keep getting cancelled.

Mexico didn't work out, this winter. And after I'd staged the bike in Vegas.

Now the bike is down there. So, think I...since I got a half-fast camper-van, and a trailer...I'd get out of the apartment (which cannot be healthy) and go to Vegas, pick up the bike and gear, and head down to Arizona. Ride a little, camp a little.

What's going to be more safe from the virus than my own bedroll?

Well...using a bucket-toilet is no problem, but showers are. Eventually I'd be in a public shower or locker room of some sort. AND...if this plan fell apart like so many others have, this fall/winter...I'd find myself at some dive motel that's lousy with virus.

Now they're talking about national lockdown or curfew. And what if I'm on the wrong side of the checkpoint? And then catch this damn virus?

No...looking like I'll be staying home, at least for the next eight weeks.
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    According to what I've read and seen (a website, Peak Prosperity, the co-owner, Chris Martenson, has taken this apart statistically) the infected numbers will continue to increase until about mid-May. And by that time, the critical patients will be in National Guard tents, most likely.

This, unless a miracle happens.
    Rider2 likes this.
  13. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    If I stay healthy, I'll be day-tripping.

It's easy to put a couple of meals on the back. More, not so much. Of course, there's the risk of a flat tire or other issue that'll have you in close contact with others...but, I may risk it.
    Cheshire and Sal Pairadice like this.
  14. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I've been on the road this past couple of weeks on a machine install. I head out next week for another machine install. I took the car this past couple weeks, but I'm planning on taking the motorcycle next week.

If they shut down the hotels here in the Midwest, then we'll have to postpone the install.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I don't want to be the one who spreads this virus."

That's the frame of mind the CDC wants us to be in. There is only so much I can do to avoid catching this virus, and I'm fine with that, but by staying home I can very effectively not spread it.

I like riding in West Virginia, but not enough to risk being the one to drag the virus into one of the little places that help make it special.
    N22WLZ likes this.
  16. Wowser

Wowser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What’re you guys talking about?
  17. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Legally right now I think I'm only allowed to ride for essential trips (grocery shopping, visiting healthcare provider, providing essential services). Though if I wanted to depart the area, I'm sure I could.

At least I can go out for fitness stuff (walk, run, bicycle).
  18. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    2020 will be the year of Day Rides from home for me !! One stop for gas and a few drain-ups then back home for dinner :bubba
    foxtrapper likes this.
  19. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I am the ideal age to be an asymptomatic carrier, and given I have a mild persistent cough the chance is greater than zero, so even though I have two free weeks off of work I'm choosing to stay home even though under better circumstances I'd use two weeks to cover as many miles as possible

That, and there are delays on some maintenance parts' shipping times that I'd need to take a long trip anyways, because my bike is due for an oil and air filter change

I'm still doing local rides in my city and just not touching anything, but this just isn't the time to go blasting off cross-country
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  20. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    I went hiking yesterday. Didn't see a soul, just me and the pup.

Don't see a whole lot of difference with a ride, even a long one if I camp remotely.

If I get a couple weeks off outta this pandemic, I'll probably just go hiking somewhere remote. Better than sitting at home watching the news.