Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Just remember, gas stations *are* a common denominator and the SARS-COV-2 virus is known to live for over 24 hours (with a half-life of about 8-9 hours) on many surfaces including plastic.
    RedEX and Drop_Center like this.
  2. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still riding locally. I'm also taking my daily exercise walks downtown. My doctor approves since my college town has emptied out and is nearly shut-down, so there's no one to infect/to infect me. Plus, I feel like Omega Man (or I Am Legend for the young set) walking around with nobody in sight. :^)
    Traxx likes this.
  3. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Installation postponed due to Toyota in Princeton, IN shutting down. I'll be working from home the next couple of weeks.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Yeah, touring is royally FUCKED unless we get a handle on this. It is UN Fucking Believable. People are locked down and quarantined all over the country and globe.

From the mish mash of state responses and no coherent Federal response, in the U.S. its just going to drag on and on and on. The Feds have done jack shit and this time, this time we can't dodge it.

And we haven't seen the real horror yet. I'm just bitching about my vacation plans being destroyed. I can't be exasperated by people not getting it. I just talked to the top manager and engineer in my agency. Even HE doesn't know if this is real or made up bullshit. That's how fucked we are. In China they tested everyone and if they had it, they got thrown into a facility and they didn't get out until they weren't contagious anymore. All their contacts were traced and quarantined as well if infected. Result: In one month they almost have it beat.

We are doing nothing.
    sluagh likes this.
  5. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    China had thousands of cases in a small area. US has thousands of cases spread across a huge country. There is some difference in scale here.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question arising now is, will we even be allowed to ride? They are talking about locking down entire states. Could they even enforce that? And is a cop going to do anything about it if you're re out obeying traffic laws?

The streets of LA are reportedly empty, I don't see how any motorcyclist wouldn't be foaming at the mouth for a chance to ride in that.
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    And just like that, one post cancelled my summer plans. Thank you for pointing this out though.
  8. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in one of your jacket pockets.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    And a few disposable gloves.
    CCitis likes this.
  10. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't touch your face without washing your hands first.
  11. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm ok with contaminated surfaces, the problem is when the Gov shuts down the entire country out of necessity. Like Italy.

Would be such a shame, could be the trip of a lifetime.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:

China is 3.7M sq. miles
    U.S. is 3.7M sq, miles
    Cheshire and Drop_Center like this.
  13. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I were just talking about this. We were talking about buying a Big Comfy Couch touring bike to do some long distance trips this summer. We have just cancelled that. She wss reading that the danger of the virus will be around for years and the restrictions will just keep getting tighter. Even if the restrictions did not get tighter, my wife tends to be something of a parajoid catastrophist when it comes to health. And I'm layed off now so we couldn't really afford it anyway.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Planning to head out for a ride today. Weather is nice but need to find destinations that do not involve dealing with other people - so not the usual brunch ride.
  15. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will ride my bicycle on the trails to get outside some. I just added a second bottle holder, I have 2 tubes and fresh patches.

If they let me I will fill up, sanitize, then ride the beemer to Washburn Missouri turn around and ride back. I can pack some snacks and drinks, when nature calls I can turn off, hike a bit into the woods and add some urea to the local flora and fauna. I will talk to no one, and other than the gas pump, I touch nothing other than the bike. No risk to anyone.

Due to the horrible quality of the local drivers, I now have slow down a lot in a curve if I see a car or truck anywhere, hoping there will be less cars and much better riding!!!!!

If a cop stops me I will explain from 6 feet away and hope he takes pity on me. If not then I pay a fine. Better than going stir crazy.

Rod
    Traxx and katbeanz like this.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone staying home? New Cogent suspension on the DR? Lowest gas prices of the year?

GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

I'll be traveling all over. Do more stealth camping like I've been meaning to.
    Vrode, Traxx and William Wolfen like this.
  17. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    112A4244-5EE3-48AA-BE20-4599CAF59FE4.jpeg
    Vrode, Traxx, misterk and 2 others like this.
  18. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't fall off.
    CCitis, Cheshire and mitchapalooza like this.
  19. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two things keeping me from riding right now, the thought of having an accident and ending up in an overworked hospital and exposure at a gas pump because I don’t have any medical gloves or hand sanitizer. I managed to get some alcohol and aloe Vera gel ordered so I’ll be able to make some, but not until next week.
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  20. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had a planes, trains and automobiles trip planned to B.C., but have postponed that now. My wife needs to renew both her license and passport. We figure to both go in and do the new license renewal and get that over with.
    I figure I might be able to get my motorcycle trip in come early Fall. Mainly to miss the summer crowds, if there end up being any. Though I am not planning on really being in a lot of touristy places. Camping, dirt and gravel riding. We're taking things day to day here. We are retired so schedules are not a big deal.
    The PT&A trip will get pushed off to 2022 or so, thanks to other travel plans for 2021.