Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Packed and ready to go away for a month but Australia has basically been locked down today so staying home.....Not Happy !!!
    20200322_134503.jpg
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  2. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had Covid 19 avoidance protocol in place too!
    20200322_113929.jpg
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s getting interesting, and I’m sure will get ever more so in the next few weeks to perhaps few months. Places to eat or to poop are becoming problematic here. As roads, parks and geographical places get shut off, it’ll make it all that much tougher.

But, by the end of summer, I think things will have relaxed. The problem then, I think, will be all the boarded up businesses.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went out yesterday and checked out some roads in Eastern KY. There are no known cases in that area, BUT I still was a little apprehensive about getting gas or using a restroom, let alone getting food anywhere. So I made sure to have a tissue for use with the gas pump and stopped on a backroad to pee next to a tree. Since it was in the 30’s and misty all day I took the car. Kept me away from interacting with anyone else. It’s really the restroom problem that concerns me more than anything else. I can carry some food, and I can get a couple of hundred miles out of a tank of gas, but if I drink a lot of fluids I still need to stop and pee every so often. I’d usually do that when stopping at a gas station, but I really don’t feel comfortable doing that anymore. I’ve no problem peeing out in nature, but some people just don’t want me peeing out in their yards.
    CCitis and Traxx like this.
  5. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wash your hands after using the bathroom, maybe before if you don’t wanna contaminate the goods. Keep your distance, hell keep your helmet on, if you find the gas station suddenly overrun with miserable coughing locals. You’ll be fine. It’s not super infectious.

The bigger issue for touring, IMO, will be the short term isolation policies we’ll have in place. Frankly, I figure it’s time to hunker down and take care of me and my neighbors and be part of the community. I’ll be doing day trips for sanity sakes.

Hopefully the travel restrictions eventuall stabilize or go away by mid to late June when I was planning my trip.
    steve3b3 and sidetrack one like this.
  6. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I got a new bike last fall. Been getting it set up for what would be for me the biggest motorcycle trip ever - California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, who knows where else. Hadn't planned to camp so if I go, I'll have to provision for that too now - not staying in hotels until this is over. But with California shut down and other states likely to follow, it's all on hold for now. If things ease up, I'll still probably go if possible. I think you can safely avoid both getting it and spreading it if you are super careful. I'm concerned enough about catching it that I think I'll be diligent enough to be ok.
  7. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Ask people in Italy. They aren't taking this lightly anymore. No riding for them.
    You can't risk it until this blows over. Its not just you, it's people you might spread it to. I can see a few local day rides.

Right now, if the social distancing thing pans out, and cases go down they are looking at relaxing the rules July-August. So there is your time to plan.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Show me your papers!!!

Shoot to kill.
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not only social distancing and shelter-in-place, but sections of the US are closing down as are other countries.

Not just governments:

[​IMG]

but seemingly less official groups too:

[​IMG]
    Traxx likes this.
  10. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but rereading what I wrote, I was too cavalier. I don't plan to travel until the restrictions are lifted and people who know what they are talking about say it's ok (and I don't mean the various idiots that got their phd in epidemiology by reading a website).
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a once-in-a-lifetime trip scheduled. I signed up for Helge Pedersen's World Tour 2020 and was to leave for Japan on April 19th. My motorcycle is somewhere in the north Pacific right now. Our group was going to tour 17 countries, ending in Munich. After that, I was going to ride around Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France before flying home in August. Well, that's a bust. Our bikes are, hopefully, going to be back in Seattle around the first of June. If this health crisis subsides by then, I take a month to ride back to my home in North Carolina so it isn't all bad. There's a lot of fine country to see right here in the USA.

Mike
    Clem Fandango likes this.
  12. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    What a disappointment. I'm curious if you are getting your money back. Seems like a lot of travel companies have been pretty good about it.
    mikegc likes this.
  13. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Yes, even the "non-refundable deposit." Mr. Pedersen is a stand-up gentleman of the first order. I'm on the hook for a few plane rides that were non-refundable that I made because I'm a tight wad.

Mike
  14. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised about them not refunding or at least crediting you for the plane tix. The SO had an overseas trip planned and the airline offered a postponement and full credit without her even requesting it.
  15. mikegc

Oddometer:
    They weren't responsible for those expenses. The company gets all of your reservations while on the tour and covers motorcycle transportation over to Japan. I was responsible for my air fare to Japan and for transporting myself and the bike back to the US after the tour. It was all detailed up front. I've been advised to wait until a few days prior to the travel dates to cancel as the airlines are cancelling flights. It's still a bit early for that. I'm quite satisfied on how the the company is handling itself and our refunds. I'll tell you this: Several of the World Tour 2020 participants have told Helge to keep the funds and apply it future tours like Capetown to Cairo in January. One guy book that tour as well as the World Tour 2022.

Mike
  16. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Where is your bike right now? Will you ever get it back? What kind of bike?
  17. mikegc

Oddometer:
    It's in a container with several other bikes belonging to the the former World Tour 2020 participants. Currently, it's somewhere in the north Pacific, on a ship similar to this, heading for Japan.
    cargo.jpeg
    Helge has been in communication with the shipper and, since the container contains only our motorcycles, they'll turn it around when it reaches port in Japan. He thinks it should be back in Seattle by the end of May or very early June. He'll keep us informed. My bike is a 2018 GSA:
    [​IMG]

Mike
    Traxx likes this.
  18. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that where one lives, and where they planned to travel, is going to have a major effect on what travel actually gets done this year. Things are certainly much much worse in certain countries and in certain areas of those countries, than they are in others. Just take New York for example. Everyone hears NY, they see the numbers, and they immediately think it’s bad like there everywhere. But most of the STATE is actually very rural and lightly populated, and the spread isn’t so bad in many of those areas. Likewise, there is a whole lot of each country that doesn’t have the problems the more urban and densely populated areas do, and they aren’t likely going to. For me, living in a mostly rural and lightly populated state that is still on virtual lockdown (all non life sustaining businesses shut down) it’s going to be more a matter of money available (wife is laid off and I’m on SS) and available accommodations. As long as everything remains on lockdown and wife is laid off, I’m not planning on doing much, if any, real travel.
    Traxx and mikegc like this.
  19. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I went to Harrison Hot Springs, BC, Canada yesterday and the main beach road was barricaded off. Most of the EV chargers were behind that barrier.
  20. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gas prices are down and the government is sending me $1,200. I'll use that money to take a two week plus tour of the western states in the summer once the pandemic has subsided.