Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I think it's probably best not to ride for a number of reasons right now.

• Being part of the problem potentially spreading it around or bringing it home to family
    • Accident which puts you in a overwhelmed or heavily contaminated situation, you get virus and are in a weakened state. Worst case it's a bad accident and they're in a triage situation and you're out of luck.
    • Gas pumps are going to be covered in it, wear gloves, plastic bag or whatever getting gas and disinfect your card (cash is filthy). Avoid going into the station at all costs as it's reported to stay in aerosol form in the air up to 3 hours. You may walk in right after a coughing person.
    • Remote chance you catch a cough in the face from a driver in front of you, avoid traffic jams if any still exist. Recirculate function on your car air is winner right now.
    • State/Local restrictions will be growing. I'd expect tickets issued in places for non-compliance with mandates to be at home. Some towns may barracade as well, that's what happened in 1918. If you're a foreigner in a zenophobic location that could be a very dangerous situation.
    • 2-3 weeks potentially out of work being sick or worse ICU bills for a severe case.
    • Be careful with boots/shoes. The reason China was spraying the roads with bleach water is people tracking in the virus on feet. Watch it with your motorcycle boots, someone could have spit on the road you just stopped and stood in, or gas station pump.
    Right now you can still support a motorcycle economy by farkling and buying books to prepare and ride, get your butler maps, lay out your celebratory trip for surviving Covid19. Dealerships should work a facetime sales strategy where you can buy now and pickup later and work in some incentives or even deliver a bike to your garage. Same with service, pick up and quarantine the bike then perform service and return. The virus lives on surfaces for 3? days max. Just let things sit before you play around with them or disinfect with the CDC recommended mixture of bleach/water.
  2. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used a full serve station (for the car, I haven't had the chance to get the bike on the road yet:dirtdog) that I rarely use because its out of my usual way and more expensive. But its good. The attendant fills it up and reaches out with the payment machine at arm's length, I reach out with my credit card at arm's length and tap. Its good, both social distancing and I don't touch a pump nozzle or a keypad that some else has contaminated.
  3. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I've always wondered how full-service stations work on a motorcycle. I had a few work trips to New Jersey (where all stations are full service), but never happened to see any motorcycles getting fueled up. Seems like it would be awkward.
  4. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All gas stations in Thailand are full service. Kinda nice, never had a drop of fuel spilled on my tank. Wish they would go back to the way it was here in the US back in the early 60's. received_308230126688542.jpeg
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my experience in New Jersey and Oregon, the attendant hands the rider the hose so they can fill it themselves.
  6. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had attendants fill the tank. From experience it sometimes depends on the confidence of the attendant and the rider's confidence in the attendant. If the attendant just hands the filler to the rider, most of the time it is just that the attendant recognizes that some riders get nervous about someone else filling the bike.
  7. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I heard that China has this under control so I’m taking a trip there.
    CrazyCooter likes this.
  8. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    My darling and I married at the end of February, and part of our honeymoon was a bike tour on 2 of my Triumphs.

We got home 2 days before New Zealand went into full COVID-19 lockdown.

Here's a pic from the first day. The area of sea in the background (Cavalli Islands) is one place we were sailing in a 38ft yacht we borrowed from a friend to go away for the first part of the honeymoon.

Jacqui and Bikes above Cavallis Mar 2020.jpg

(Jacqui used to be Editor of "Kiwi Rider", NZ's biggest bike magazine, thus the leathers that Vege the publisher let her keep.)

Now a pic of me with the 2 bikes:

Triumph touring Rangiputa Mar 2020.jpg

And the bikes with our full kit for 6 days of touring, the two of us, on the Kohukohu-Rawene ferry:

Ferry at Kohukohu Mar 2020.jpg

Jacqui must be so tough: no windscreen, no saddlebag, no topbox, no tank bag, no backup crew. But she did have good clothes packed in the big backpack, so we had a couple of good restaurant meals....
  9. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    I live in Veneto, Italy. That comment about local day rides is one of the factors that led to things being so bad here (other factors: multi-generational homes, lots of old people).

When things started to get bad, folks kept thinking that if they just did the right things (social distancing, hygiene, avoiding groups, etc.) then they would be fine. They went out for moto rides, cycling rides, bars, restaurants (they removed tables so patrons could maintain 1m distance). Looking back, it's a bit comical. They should have went full nuclear early...total lockdown.

The problem is the notion of getting out and about with restrictions widely varies and, inevitably, some folks that are out and about will catch it and get sick themselves and/or spread it to a vulnerable person.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I
    First, I have family and friends in Italy and I am scanning the news every day looking for things to get better there, and here. And I agree with you on full nuclear lockdown.

I live in the country, in a rural farming area. We do walk in the woods, but I desperately try and avoid going anywhere public. Many people are really not taking this seriously. I always have. That said, I find it hard to believe that a solitary ride down a country road will make me catch the virus. Is that what you are saying? Just catch it from literally being outside, even if I see no one?

My thought was that I cannot ride at this time because I don't want to take even the small chance of an accident.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. Folks think about things differently and I think that's where things started deteriorating here.

For you, a solitary ride is just you and you are not seeing anyone; for others, that may include a short stop at a store or to stop and chat, etc. La Passegiata (a walk around town) is a tough thing for many Italians to forgo and many found it difficult to keep the social distance and not stop and chat. We see lots of folks doing thing that make them think they are doing something but, in reality, it does next to nothing. An example is wearing the proper antivirus mask but not wearing it all the time (leaving it around the neck) or not wearing it properly (ex. not covering the nose).
    Hamamelis and Sal Pairadice like this.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. In my small town, its a bit like Italy. Everyone is connected and knows everyone else. I can't stop anywhere in town without ending up in long conversations and people start edging closer. I have to walk away and say goodbye. Driving past little shops and bars I look in and see people still congregating. They can't seem to help themselves. Everyone is sad and lonely.

All of which I understand and yet I stay in solitude with my wife. My comment about going for a solitary ride was just that. However, I have rethought the ride idea and right now I can't even do that. It doesn't seem right.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Washington I've heard PSAs encouraging folks to go out for fresh air, and exercise because it helps with ones mental, and physical health including the immune system. They also state that one should exercise social distancing, and avoid locations that would bring one close to others while doing it.
    They still discourage any unnecessary trips to public places.

All parks and playgrounds in my area are posted closed, but MUTs are still open. I'm seeing more people using the one near us than I ever have.
  14. Rider2

Rider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride out for groceries. I go out to clear my mind, as far as I can go without stopping to eat. Or combine trips, ride 3 hours to get to a grocery store 5 miles away! I use disposable gloves when getting gas - who knows who's touched the nozzle?

I learned some good things from this (long-ish) video.

CCitis, shu and klaviator like this.
  15. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I watched that video a couple days ago.
    I guess I learned a few things also, BUT when he started washing his fruit and veggies with soap and saying 20 seconds per piece, I quit watching.

I’m no risk taker, and I’m self isolating even though no active Covis19 in out town, but I just couldn’t do “Everything “ this guy suggests
  16. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Wife and I set a portion of the garage aside to store food that’s non perishable for greater than 72 hours. We have delivery grocery as an option so are using that to the driveway.

I mixed a cdc recommended tub of bleach water and wash everything sealed in that to disinfect before it goes to the fridge for items that need refrigeration.

fresh produce is tough and we’re cooking or steaming anything in that category until this is over.

its all a pain in the ass but good peice of mind once you get it over with and know your house is not contaminated. The hardest part is discipline where you touch with hands until they’re washed. Its a exercise in teamwork for sure.

if you have a garden sprayer that would be perfect to just hose things down with bleach water.

I figure I’ll go all in and do my part to kill off this virus so we can resume life. Its pretty frustrating seeing people ignoring guidance knowing they’ll just drag this out.
    shu likes this.
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I saw someone in the store yesterday, wearing mask and gloves but picking up and examining every single item she came across. She dug through every single pack of meat on one shelf. Some people just don't get it I suppose.

Back to thinking about touring. I have my fingers crossed that border controls and travel restrictions are back to normal by late September when I've rescheduled the trip to Portugal, Spain and Morocco that I should have been leaving for in two days.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  18. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    When we do get to tour again the relief of this being over and enthusiasm will be amazing. Nothing like an event to sober people up and realize how lucky we have it when things are going smooth.

I think handshakes are dead after this.
    Sal Pairadice and klaviator like this.
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the three sea shells to make an appearance.
    strommonster likes this.
  20. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing no big trips for me this year (as I start my retirement). It’s all good as I’d rather stay healthy and my dog needs more attention these days. Hopefully, if things loosen up in June/July I can make a trip to visit my sister and maybe some friends in Pa/Md areas. In the meantime I’ll try to be prudent, stay safe, and take it a week at a time.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.