Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. nestastubbs

nestastubbs Green Mountain Toys

Oddometer:
    I think Italy may have also run into a critical mass of infections, and a lack of quarantine locations for the infected outside of the home. The result was that household members become infected because self-quarantining at home without infecting other residents is risky. It’s very hard to think of leaving your loved ones in that situation to go to some hotel or quarantine location even if it IS available to you.

Here in central Vermont, we have 30 tested cases in Rutland County, so I’m guessing around 400-600 actual cases in a population of around 60k. That estimate is based a multiple of 16-20 for tested cases based on our rather limited testing regime, when compared to sample populations that had exhaustive testing done.

I still plan on doing a ride today for exercise and well being, and will pack a lunch and thermos as has become my practice. I will also walk down to the creek later to check out fishing spots, or take a hike.
    klaviator and Sal Pairadice like this.
  2. norseXL

norseXL Northman

Oddometer:
    Looks like '20 will be the year I will spend my summer vacation riding and wild camping my native Norway and maybe Sweden too if the border opens 'till then.
    All gas stations here are pay at pump so no problem there...
    meatshield and klaviator like this.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles give the feeling of freedom but there are few things which make us as dependent on society as motorcycles.

Motorcycle trips always need support, and we get that in the communities, in the stores, the gas stations, just everywhere.

No one is subsistence farming and traveling on a motorcycle.
    klaviator likes this.
  4. Reeds Moto

Reeds Moto That La-Z-Boy will kill you.

Oddometer:
    I can't risk living with the knowledge that I may have been the one who was responsible for wiping out a family or a neighborhood. It would haunt me for the rest of my life. With that mindset I have chosen to stay home this season and ride out-and-backs here in my neck of the woods of Northwest Washington State. This too shall pass... I hope everyone stays healthy.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:

You don't need to torch your whole riding season. Self education can protect people more than over reaction.
  6. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I'm doing just as the guy suggests including washing fruit and veggies in soapy water. It's actually not new to me. I started washing apples and oranges, etc with soap, while traveling -after getting very sick in Tajikistan a few years back. Soak them, scrub them, rinse them well. I never taste/smell any soap and not having to wonder who was sneezing at the grocery store or the packing plant- as Lee R says:

....................shu
  7. Reeds Moto

Oddometer:
    Overreaction? LOL.
    We skipped our trip to see the desert flowers bloom in Anza Borrego Ca. because of this Virus. Traveling 3000 miles round trip just didn't feel right. I just figured being on the wrong side of the state line might prove to be trouble if I had to be quarantined away from home. (They even gave us our money back for the cabin we rented) But, beyond that, I didn't want to be part of the problem. Nothing wrong with doing out-and-backs up here in the Pacific Northwest this summer.
  8. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    I am struggling with the same type of choices,and the same thinking, myself. The scientific predictions are for the virus to decline by early June. There will be massive pressure to get the country open. IF the gov puts in place the proper protocols ( a whole other discussion) we should be able to do that. If we do our part and act safely I think we should be able to go out and ride and travel normally. In July and August I really hope to be riding to Nova Scotia.
    klaviator and Reeds Moto like this.
  9. Reeds Moto

Oddometer:
    This is suppose to be the worst 2 weeks starting today. Stay healthy, stay up to date and enjoy your summer when this thing starts to die down. :amazon
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  10. nestastubbs

Oddometer:
    It wasn’t touring, but me and my neighbor did a ride this evening around some of my favorite country roads here in central vermont. His father is dealing with terminal cancer, so we were both very careful WRT any danger of transmitting a C19 infection. Sure, it’s more risk, tho still IMO minimal, than staying in our homes and texting, but it was a much needed break and companionship. He bought my wives dl650 last fall, and in addition to skiing together, we have found that we enjoy riding together. Afterwards we had socially distanced shots of vodka on either side of my Tacoma tailgate, maintaining our 6ft distance.

Maintain perspective, and take the time to understand the risks, but also understand that death is always a guide, helping to clarify what is important. Our mortal condition extends beyond any pandemic or current acute threat — it’s part and parcel of our humanity.
  11. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good topical thread.
    A group of friends (50-65 YO) and I usually do 2 rides a year, sport tourers, fast riding, spring and fall; mostly southwest US, 2000 mile loops, different directions, several days.
    6 out of our group of 7 are booking their hotels for early June. I bailed, as I think they are out of their f'ing minds. Most are one step shy of owning a MAGA hat, and (still!) think this is all overblown and a conspiracy by the media.
    I have provided links to videos of bodies piling up in rented trucks at hospitals, mass unmarked graves in NY being covered with a bulldozer, several current and vetted Covid 19 related studies by MIT, Dartmouth, CDC, WHO, and other usually authoritative sources, etc... But hell, I may as well be trying to convince them that Hillary is not involved...:photog

From gas station pump handles, to the doors to stores, to bathroom doors, to the flushing handle, to the faucet, to the paper towel dispenser, to the atm pin number keypad, to the hotel room (professionally cleaned by our hired-last-week-for-minimum-wage-staff), to everything you come into contact with in a restaurant (assuming one is open), everything, and I mean EVERYTHING can be a virus source. And as careful as you may be, one kid sneezing on you in a checkout line, or the guy who coughed on the 5 hour Energy bottles or the Slim Jims 5 minutes ago (that you just purchased) may make all those precautions moot. And on the slight chance you go down and need an ambulance and a trip to the ER, with all that THAT entails... GFL. This does not sound like a great ride - it sounds more like voluntarily rolling the dice in hostile conditions and hoping for snake eyes...

Yes, this has been tough and it sucks; way more so for those without employment. The virus has, and will continue to change our way of life for the foreseeable future. But to potentially jeopardize yourself, your family, and your friends because you want that ride so bad leaves me... distressingly appalled.

Until this is resolved with a plan based on science, as opposed to hope... we are working and staying at home, avoiding everybody as much as we can. We just decided to cancel our long planned month long moto trip to Canada this summer - I ain't happy; but right now I have no idea when Canada will even open again to tourists.... But staying home and NOT exposing ourselves to dozens or even hundreds of other individuals (on a month long ride) you know nothing about increases the odds that we will still be here and be able to ride with abandon once this has passed.

In the meantime, we'all will just have to be satisfied with low key day-long out-and-back rides with beers and sammies in the trunk on deserted dirt roads; which with the right mindset ain't half bad...

Hang in there...:bmwrider
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mind erring on the side of caution, and limiting my discretionary travel. Giving up a little non essential recreation isn't exactly a hardship.

As an essential worker in the transportation industry I do find it ironic I'm exposed to a much higher level of risk so people can enjoy other forms of non essential recreation.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. ManxTT

ManxTT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a two week trip in August was going to make a big loop thru the Rockies but shit happens, thinking more like maybe a week thru Oregon instead. See how the world is at
    that moment, and go from there. I'll make up for it next year maybe a three week trip :clap.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    With emergency wards fairly empty outside of NYC, I have heard some smart riders saying they can go places and do things that they would never do in a normal year. Friends of mine just rode through Boston and said it was magic. I am leaning more and more towards that thinking. Just ride slow and careful.

I have said all along that I am looking towards Memorial day weekend. Until then I can do local loops and I will gradually open that up to longer self contained ( lunch in a saddlebag) solo and then maybe 2 bike rides and hopefully by Memorial day will have some good news and start planning more extensively.
  15. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had trouble with border crossing? California in particular?
  16. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    When call of the wild calls one must answer
    call of the wild three .jpg call of the wild two .jpg call of the wild one.jpg
    Traxx likes this.
  17. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're that worried about living why even ride? The incubation time is more than 4-5 days anyway you'll be home before you even get sick :lol3
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  18. CJMCB

CJMCB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it'll be a year of cleaning the bike a lot and riding only locally. Which is a shame as we were looking to ride in Northern Spain :-(
  19. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to ride to California from Colorado if it's legally permissable in June. There are motorycle everywhere, many of them idiots without helmets.

1) Bring disposale gloves for getting gas.
    2) Bring Lysol wipes for your motel room
    3) Bring your own pillowcase and blanket
    4) Wear a mask and get food from groceries.

I wonder if motels will every adopt an online check-in.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  20. nestastubbs

Oddometer:
    I’m starting to plan a shorter trip, from Vermont to Delaware, to check on mom and my house there, which sustained some minor roof damage in a recent windstorm. I can make it there in one day of freeway riding, but my concern is that if something goes wrong, not having alot of options for hotel or service. I also would prefer to spend two days, and get off the slab.

We’ll see what happens in the next few weeks, and maybe see what PA and NJ hotels in the boonies are up too.

Here in Vermont, we’re past this peak, and things are starting to open up. I’m looking at the numbers around the US and the world, and it just doesn’t seem like lockdowns are worth the cost, and that smart distancing, masks, hand washing, and protecting institutions with high risk populations is where we are headed unless we’re wanting to pay a higher cost in damage to peoples life (the stress, nutrition and healthcare impacts of economic upheaval are non-trivial). I feel this perspective may be a result of being in a rural, sparsely populated state, but it’s still legitimate for us to ask why we should continue a lockdown here, even if it made sense to continue it in cities.

It’s just ridiculous that our hospitals are closed down and have single digits covid cases in them, our retirement homes are not even testing or practicing basic protection until there is a advanced symptomatic case, but they won’t let us camp in the state park or national forest.