Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Chicken Little called right after the Call Of The Wild called.
    Chick Little says the sky is not falling, leave the mask at home - go ride, break the quarantine - think about the company line being a little off base in outcome...
    I participated in breaking quarantine along with 10's of thousands of central and western new york citizens did yesterday Saturday May2. 386.3 miles of smiles
    There were hundreds of motorcycles out - even large unmasked groups of riders. OMG can one of the nannies on here call someone??!!!!

Harley's outnumbered the rest and i did not see one scardy [sic] cat Beeeeeemer [BMW] rider [or is that power ranger?] to wave too. Not one.
    There was so much traffic i found myself passing against the line [safely].
    I have some great pics but the sun is up and it's time to answer the calls again. I will ride report the breakout later

I believe i heard sheep bleating whilst reading this thread.
    MyzTied, Traxx and Phoenix101 like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Breaking quarantine eh? You badass! Glad you got to ride. Sorry for anyone who's loved ones get infected and die as a result of other people expressing their "rights." A day-ride should be a pretty light risk as you probably only interact with people or potentially contaminated places when you fuel-up. Families with several kids, running about in the supermarket (no masks, of course) has not stopped since restrictions were enacted here. Morons!
  3. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    A picture is worth many words, the citizens of NY have clearly made their feelings known about king andy the gov of ny.
    Saturday May 02
    North east of Syracuse NY
    I got a beer to go for stopping to record a great moment in americana
    There were more than several Trump 2020 signs on display across the state

Anti Virus Day 1 & 2 (56).JPG

Rednecks.JPG
    Traxx, flexiflyer and Phoenix101 like this.
  4. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    Some of America's original rednecks came from New York...

:lol3

...borderline CS&M material??
  5. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Borderline?
    tlub and kwthom like this.
  6. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    Heh...
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    So................ These are the enlightened people who's wisdom we should emulate, and there's 10's of thousands of them?

Why do I have a sense of impending doom? :hmmmmm
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  8. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Currently riding...long range touring will depend upon if motels and restaurants open up... also seeing similar protest signs and protests growing here... closing public lands have been awesome as it almost makes it just you in the mountains... and LEO in this area says they are not enforcing COVID 19 rules... so good to go!
    Traxx likes this.
  9. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a motorcycle at US Customs in Tacoma and it'll probably get released sometime this week. I'd like to fly out to Seattle and take a month or so to ride it back to North Carolina. It seems some of the states that would be in my path are starting to relax travel restrictions a bit. Being 72 years old, I don't want to put others' health in jeopardy or myself, for that matter. If some of you gentlemen would advise me on travel in the western part of the country, I'd certainly appreciate it. I'd like to pass through the following states: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas and Missouri.

Thanks,

Mike
    klaviator likes this.
  10. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    Fixed
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?

It seems to me once one gets past the noise of the fringe on either side of the fence, the majority want a well thought out, balanced approach to not sacrifice one concern for another.

No matter what happens, all will take credit, and assign blame based on their chosen truth. One flock of sheep pointing at another, and saying "look at those sheep". :hmmmmm
    Traxx, Dracula and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same. There is nothing about this sort of message that leads me to believe their position is based upon a rational evaluation of the issues and policies.

ON TOPIC: My motorcycle rental reservation for Portugal/Spain in late September was just cancelled. The vendor explained that current guidance in Europe in that intra-European travel may pick back up later in the year but visits from outside the Europe may be problematic. As I understand it, this particular business has effectively been shuttered until 2021.
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Or claim you are a refugee and take the Canadian route.
    mikegc likes this.
  14. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    I'm in the hills to the west of Denver. I'm thinking your ride will be a lonely one with little social interaction- that's okay if you really just want to ride and look at the countryside, but if you're the kind of guy who likes to stop and chat along the way....not much of that going on.

Colorado Front Range....

Hotels: not a problem, I think, though I haven't tried to find a room. I did return from Arizona in mid-March and found places to stay along the way using Booking.com. I would book ahead each night for the next night.

Gas: cheap and plentiful. Lots of stations open, as long as you stay to major roads and towns. Some stations (local stores) may have closed down so don't count on every town to have gas.

Food: grocery stores are generally open and well stocked- cleaning supplies of any kind are hard to come by.

Restaurants: some takeout but most are closed. Finding ready cooked meals (and coffee!) on the road will probably be tough.

Bathrooms: pretty much non-existent. This will be hard to overcome. Most gas stations, takeout restaurants, parks, public buildings are closed and bathroom facilities are hard to find.

Emergency help: still functioning well, hospitals are not overcrowded to my knowledge. However, if you get sick , unless you cannot breathe well, you will be advised to stay home and not come to the hospital. Where will you stay in that case? Feverish and coughing in a motel room for 5-10 days? Not a great picture, eh? Where will your food come from? If you are camping, it's even less appealing: tossing and turning, feverish for days in a tent, miles from any supplies (and water?).

I love to travel, but I will be waiting at least several weeks to see if things start to settle out before I start planning my next trip.

.............shu
    tlub, CCitis and mikegc like this.
  15. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    It may be obvious but you need to verify that hotels or camp-sites will available along your proposed route.
  16. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great info, Shu! I really appreciate the detailed report. I generally travel solo and I stop a lot to take photos. In the places I generally ride when I'm "out West" are in the BFE. My bike is a GSA so I usually ride all day on US and/or state highways approximately 300 miles daily. It sounds like I'll be okay but I'm going to wait until next month to reevaluate.

Thanks, again,

Mike
    shu likes this.
  17. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IF you are travelling...may want to keep an eye on the news. Gallup NM has been closed for the last several days.
    The entire town - no admittance, roads blocked by LEOs.
    The county has 3.5% of NM population with 30% of the cases... watcha gonna do???

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-new-mexico-lockdown-sunday-governor-lujan-grisham/

From the Governors office:
    upload_2020-5-8_21-21-26.png

it would...suck rolling in early evening, on fumes, looking forward to a hotel and a warm gas station burrito.
  18. oldspice1972

oldspice1972 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a trip planned for the end of April/beginning of May (GA Mountains rally) and that got shut down pretty early on (side note, like the MOA rally, it’s “postponed” until next year - why not just say the 2020 rally is canceled vs. “postponed” - same darn thing, in my book!). Now, as things start to slowly open up (whether that’s a good or bad thing is another discussion), I’m planning on a solo jaunt west a few states over. As I tent camp solo, and generally stay away from people, I’m hoping things will go well. As long as I can get gas and water and I can rock a campfire I’m pretty much good to go.

Iowa just opened up campsites this past week, so I’m hoping the same will hold true for the states I’ll be camping in - SD, WY, NE. I’ve been able to reserve sites, so fingers crossed....
  19. Wowser

Wowser Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing about “postponed,” as I had also planned on being at both of those rallies. Still got my fingers crossed for Paonia, CO in July, but I’m not counting on that one happening either. I hope I’m wrong.
  20. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    China is a hugely overpopulated petri dish with one and a half BILLION people and you can't believe anything the government says.
    US is also an overpopulated place right behind India in population and you can't believe anything the government says.
    There's some parallels, but what does this have to do with riding?