Touring in 2020

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    WTF are you smoking, 330 million only slightly better than a quarter of India's 1.35 billion....and we have significantly more landmass. Our population density is lower than Europe.

But hey I'll definitely listen to a guy on the internet that has a hard time with basic fact.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Most population statistics are bs if you really look where the number comes from.
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Short of spending the rest of your life, roaming the world, counting people and comparing what you see to census data, how the heck can you EVER substantiate a statement like that? To be clear, I'm not challenging the statement that "most population stat's are BS" but that it's possible to know that by "really looking where the numbers come from".
    72 Yamaha RD350 likes this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful Ya'll Sky Net is watching.
  5. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    73% of statistics are made up.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and Phoenix101 like this.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    This is easily verified.

The US doesn't have CLOSE to India's population, nor their population density. Don't need to make up shit.
  7. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    In this case, the numbers were clearly pulled out of thin air but the statement was: "most population statistics... etc."

Back on topic - I'm going away this weekend. Will be taking hand sanitizer and masks, etc. Some State Parks supposed to be open. Remains to be seen what sort of precautions are in place at various places we might stop along the way.
  8. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am trying to figure out whether I can make any trips this summer. I canceled my trips that were planned, so I could get my money back. Typically I would go to a hotel... but here in BC they are strongly discouraging any non-essential travel. So I guess I could camp, but it seems like it's just going to be difficult... usually, I would want to stop at restaurants, not worry about bathroom availability... and then I would have to buy some motorcycle camping gear. The kicker is in February I bought a R1150GS to go have a Summer of touring. Anyways, what are you guys doing? What are you comfortable with?
  9. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    stealth camping and grocery stores and stolen local license plates and shitting in the bush.

I hate bears.

My last trip was essential. 400 km to the grocery store 10 km away. No problem.

Avoid the RCMP but a GS says rich guy so pay attention.

And hey if the Queen wants to give me free room and board I am OK with that right now as long as they have 2 ply toilet paper.
  10. psyfalcon

psyfalcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Worked an average of 50 hours a week in a grocery store since this thing started. Seems like a bad idea to go riding around on vacation next week. Still might buy the bike though ;)

We're all probably very unlikely to catch it moto camping, maybe a little more likely hotel touring. Gas station handles and public toilets. One is UV sterilized for several hours a day and, well, we all hope they're cleaning the bathrooms regularly.

With rather little evidence though, I figure I'm one of the more likely asymptomatic carriers in the country. Doctors, nurses, EMT, police, but then what has been the one place everyone has been allowed to go to for the past 2 months. Luckily there is better distancing than in a packing plant, and time next to any one customer is fairly limited. Its one of the more frustrating parts of the poor testing and tracing. How have nearly 2 million people caught this thing "staying at home."

So its probably a bad idea to riding through several states.
    davidji likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True dat. I’ve been to India. You ain’t seen crowded anywhere in the USA like India. As an American from anywhere in the US - you can’t even begin to comprehend the population density of India: four times the people in one third the area. It’s unreal. And the traffic is unfathomable. I brought a customer over here for a couple days for business reasons and she was perfectly content and entertained by seeing the mere movement of free flowing traffic during rush hour - something that is unimaginable virtually anywhere in India but relatively common in my metropolitan area.

Show me a 60 person bus anywhere in the US that has 200 people on it. I saw it every day I was in India.
  12. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    My favorite B&B in California isn’t taking out of state visitors

Anyone else running into this?
    CCitis likes this.
  13. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    There will be some challenges to touring but stop bleating like sheep and go on tour. call of the wild six.jpg
    There are no exemptions when the call of the wild rings the phone
    call of the wild five.jpg
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are on a cross country car trip to visit her mother. We arrived in Cody WY last night and spent today in Yellowstone. I’ve seen less than a dozen bikes in 1200 miles. I like what I’ve seen as precautionary measures against Covid transmission in both restaurants and hotels. While the West is typically lite on tourist traffic this early in the season - it’s really lite this season. I wouldn’t say I’d rush right out as a lot of things are closed, but if you aren’t in a high risk group then it might be a year to escape the crowds. We watched Old Faithful go off at 6:30pm with no more than 200 people total.
    klaviator and mikegc like this.
  15. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    D35B20D6-4DD1-4C8C-8EC2-491CE165DCFD.jpeg 8E5FD282-CE7F-4AEE-B7B0-8833722A7432.jpeg The state parks are open again here in Texas.
    Open for camping if you had a pre-reservation, so we were able to take our 3 day camping trip to enchanted rock.
    Beautiful place.
    72 Yamaha RD350 and CCitis like this.
  16. Advntr

Oddometer:
  17. Advntr

Oddometer:
    Sunday June 07 2020 while riding the virus
    No social distancing, no one was scared of the rider from elsewhere.
    Alberts Chapel US119 0930 AM sunday
    https://www.wvgenweb.org/calhoun/albertschapel.htm
    Local Motorcycle people Lewisberg, WV & US219 overlook
    Woman's sister lives next town over from me, small world
    Insane Asylum Weston WV
    No takers at the covid tent
    Trump is popular and so are the confederate Flags in PA WV MD
    MD
    100_0230.JPG 100_0197.JPG 100_0187.JPG 100_0160.JPG 100_0186.JPG
    CCitis likes this.